Ensign
# 1 Crew Voices
09-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Hello -

I played this game a lot on launch, and logged on recently just to see what had changed in the last few years. A lot! And mostly for the better! I like this a lot.

One thing I always wished for were crew voices in space combat. I was wondering if there are any more plans for this development? I know it was on the Engineering Reports for awhile, and then got dropped.

I love the missions and the ground combat. And the space combat is pretty cool.

However, I always wished, as a ship captain, that instead of a computer voice I could actually select from like 4 templated voices for each crew member, so that in space I could hear my engineering person go "Shields down, captain!" And know, "Hey, that's Lucy, my engineer!"

Sounds like a little thing, though I know voice-over costs are expensive. At the same time, part of what has made a lot of prior Star Trek games great is that level of immersion. The voice of a crew member shouting out during a moment of panic that something is up is a Star Trek staple, and this is one of the few Star Trek space simulator games to come out in the last 20 years that doesn't have that level of immersion.

Any plans to integrate this? I know everyone is kind of content focused right now.

Roy
Lieutenant
# 2
09-17-2012, 01:55 AM
They already have BO voice overs in the game but they were dropped after BETA for some technical reason.

For some reason they've decided not to have these put back in the game, at least not short term.
Community Moderator
# 3
09-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooon View Post
They already have BO voice overs in the game but they were dropped after BETA for some technical reason.

For some reason they've decided not to have these put back in the game, at least not short term.
I believe it was a quality control reason if memory serves, in so much as they were annoying and repetitive, but yeah, replace the ships computer with them? I'd be all over that.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 4
09-17-2012, 02:18 AM
What, and have a bunch of Americans voicing my BO's, no thanks.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
# 5
09-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
I believe it was a quality control reason if memory serves, in so much as they were annoying and repetitive, but yeah, replace the ships computer with them? I'd be all over that.
That was one reason, they also has issues with the wrong voices being played too. For example you'd end up with your sexy vulcan female science officer sounding like Dr. Mrs. The Monarch.
Joined August 2008
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
that Was One Reason, They Also Has Issues With The Wrong Voices Being Played Too. For Example You'd End Up With Your Sexy Vulcan Female Science Officer Sounding Like Dr. Mrs. The Monarch.
Do Not Want.
Commander
# 7
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm just glad the computer voice in-game actually sounds like the Federation computer voice, and not like Plankton's wife/computer, lol.

That said, the Scimitar had the most awesome on-board computer voice ever; I really liked that one.
Ensign
# 8
09-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Any feedback from Mods? I'd love to know if this is something they may add in, in the future.