Lt. Commander
# 1 Making your boff a Captain.
09-17-2012, 06:24 AM
I don't want to start raving on about all that is wrong with STO on this thread, I just want to put forward one single suggestion and see how many people on this forum agree. It might make people (and maybe some devs?) notice it, you never know what that can lead to. So please stay on topic on this one.

For the bridge officers there is the rank Captain, a rank that cannot be activated.
I would suggest, once one becomes VA, you can promote one single bridge officer to Captain.

It makes perfect sense that you are not the Captain of a ship when you are VA, yet you have command over that ship. It is consistent with ST lore.

I would also suggest it would be a good idea to make it possible to attach a different Captain to a different ship, so each of your ships can have their own customized Captain. For Cryptic that would mean more people would buy boff slots. But I realize that is technically more tricky. So just to be able to promote one Captain would already be great.

Do you agree? Or do you have any expanding idea on the boff Captain plea? Please let us know.

Last edited by hydaspes; 09-20-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Captain
# 2
09-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Cryptic has talked about wanting to do this since before FTP. They've just never had the time to implement it. I personally don't have any issue with the process, but ultimately you can power level a character to Captain Rank in only a couple of days. So why not just make a new character who looks like the BOFF? That way you don't lose the BOFF on your Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I personally don't have any issue with the process, but ultimately you can power level a character to Captain Rank in only a couple of days. So why not just make a new character who looks like the BOFF? That way you don't lose the BOFF on your Admiral.
You mean: it's fine now because you can pretend one of your characters/toons is a Captain boff? (I hope I understood you right) I suppose so. But you cannot get him on the bridge together with your Admiral. Or on your away team. Because it is only pretend, they cannot exist together in one account. A real Captain boff would also open up an extra skill slot. Which would make it a more interesting boff to use/take along. Besides, it's just fun to have a full crew, a Vice Admiral as a Captain seems a bit odd (to me, at least).
Captain
# 4
09-17-2012, 08:27 AM
I was actually referring to the playable BOFFs concept that Cryptic has toyed with: one of your Commander BOFFs becomes a Captain and has his own career with his own ship: Riker taking command of the Titan. You could then play that BOFF as a new character.

I don't have any interest in making a BOFF a Captain because ultimately it's still you controlling the ship whether it's a VA or a BOFF Captain in charge. I also don't think the game needs more BOFF powers in the tray. I think it has so many already that most don't even get used.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-17-2012, 08:31 AM
I wasn't aware of the playable boff concept....not a bad idea.