Ensign
# 1 STF leaving penalty too harsh?
08-04-2012, 12:43 PM
OK, I'm aware there has to be a penalty to prevent people from just leaving an STF in progress for giggles/ragequit/griefing issues, but is an HOUR away from any group activity fair? For all the folks that leave an STF in progress for crap reasons, there are quite a few who just want the hell out of a PuG in Infected that's attacking both transformers while ignoring nanite spheres/probes (an example COMPLETELY unrelated to personal recent experience ). Honestly a half hour would do the job just as well, and most real life emergencies/dinner calls would force about a half hour minimum away from the game anyway. And while I hate to play the "that OTHER MMO does things differently" card, they use half hour "deserter" timers there and people feel free to drop from horrible groups while not doing it casually. Right now it seems like if you get stuck in a terrible group (a fairly common experience at the moment) your choices are getting stuck with them forever and punished that way, or leaving and getting punished by the game for a similar period of time. All for something you have absolutely no control over in the case of PuGs. At the least maybe lessen it based on time played; I know several people who've been stuck in a single STF for over an hour anyway, if they'd done the smart thing and left 30 min earlier they'd have been effectively screwed out of STFs for half their play time. If they can't do a damn thing to stop crappy PuGs, at least don't torment people for not being able to stand it any longer. A half hour away from everything is harsher than putting up with it (a timer for everything is worse than just a timer on one STF after all) but it's not taking away a huge chunk of playtime for somebody whose only crime is other people's stupidity.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-04-2012, 12:48 PM
What annoys me STF-wise is that I joined one in the PvE Queue, and it was one that was half way through and they had already failed the optional objective, yet when it was over, I was penalized with an hour cooldown... That should not happen if I wasn't there from the get-go when I tried to start one, I had no desire to play with one that had already failed.
Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
Career Officer
# 3
08-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praghas View Post
What annoys me STF-wise is that I joined one in the PvE Queue, and it was one that was half way through and they had already failed the optional objective, yet when it was over, I was penalized with an hour cooldown... That should not happen if I wasn't there from the get-go when I tried to start one, I had no desire to play with one that had already failed.
Of course, this is the reason why there is a penalty, to discourage people from leaving, just because the optional has failed... There are still too many people who are abandoning STF half way though, which indicates that the penalty should be made longer... (Perhaps a day???)
Career Officer
# 4
08-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Of course, this is the reason why there is a penalty, to discourage people from leaving, just because the optional has failed... There are still too many people who are abandoning STF half way though, which indicates that the penalty should be made longer... (Perhaps a day???)
For the first time ever, I find myself in complete agreement with grouchy...

In fact, It could be beneficial to crank it up severely.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
For the first time ever, I find myself in complete agreement with grouchy...

In fact, It could be beneficial to crank it up severely.
Are you guys serious?
You want to force people to either do something they hate or prevent them from doing what they want?
And that's supposed to be beneficial to the game how?

Hint: it isn't.
What you'd get is frustrated veterans who either quit this game completely or restrict their STF (and FE) play to premades.
Either way, without the veterans in STFs, failures will skyrocket, and STFs stop to be fun for everyone.
Leading to: right, even the semi-competent players and incompetent players will leave, since they can't get a successful run. You'd turn everything into ... yeah, Crystalline Entity is probably a good example. Pure frustration for everyone.

I'm not sure if lowering the timer would be a good idea. But I know for sure that EXTENDING it is one of the most stupid, short-sighted ideas I've read in a while.

Memo to everyone who didn't get it yet: Competent players want to play with other competent players. It's no fun explaining the same thing to random newbies or even worse, random nabs, every run. It's no fun to fail time and time again because they didn't listen ... again!
And that's perfectly fine.
Games are meant to be fun, not a source of frustration. Is that so hard to get?
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-04-2012, 04:35 PM
So you are looking to make it easier to leave, if the circumstances are inconvenient ?
Try using STFElite chat channel for STF groups, rather than pugging, your results will be better.

I agree ( mainly ) with Grouchy, lengthen the leaver penalty. Otherwise the next complaint will be the amount of abandoned STF's, and the futility of even trying.

Personally, I think "Fail" groups can make for great tactical practice.

For the moment, a lot of the players who have been " carrying" pugs, have shifted to the Fleet missions and the Marks grind.

Last edited by tvlar; 08-04-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
08-04-2012, 05:19 PM
IMHO, the leaver penalty is not harsh enough. Making it easier just encourages more leavers.

However, I don't think increasing the time factor makes much difference, given the number of alts most people have. So, ake the penalty account wide.

Add a little more sting, a dilithium penalty for STF's and a fleet mark penalty for those events.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Lieutenant
# 8
08-04-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm fine with the leave penalty the way it is. The only time I've been hit with it personally was when one or more group members left before me and the STF/event became impossible for a group of 3 or less. Although I will admit I've been more than tempted to leave a few times myself when an optional fails or in the case of fleet events when there's low levels in the group which almost always guarantees a failure. I haven't yet and it wasn't the penalty that stopped me but the fact that I didn't want to be a "leaver".
Captain
# 9
08-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Honestly I think it's too light.

If you're going to punk out of an STF, every single mission in the volunteer tab should get a 1 hour cooldown.

ALL OF THEM, STF or not.
Career Officer
# 10
08-05-2012, 12:19 AM
I left last night got banned all que WTF so content has no highend reward just fleet marks if banned STF should be able to do those not cool cryptic on top of amping them way to high when pugs don't have 12

please turn back down for all the newbies pooring inyo them

the group I had failed to go to the kitty in infected ground

I truly hope this is a bug this is not in any release notes
this is not funny doing this

and also not funny lack of tech drops