Captain
# 11
09-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Ok, Ill give you that, I must admit this was the first i heard of this however if you are playing science and you've just let up say nanite health monitor on someone because they are going into battle but you need your debuff kit to help keep the enemy down to make the per-arranged heals effective, the moment you swap that kit the heals are gone?

Or if you are the only person on a team providing engineering support and you put down a chroniton minefield to stun your enemies so your turrets can help out the team but you are forced t give one of these up thus eliminating the entire strategy that can be make or break in a defensive situation

admittedly these are only 2 examples of a wider aspect of play but what I'm saying is there should be exceptions or perhaps a timer so say you put down the minefield and swap kits, when the kit swap is complete the lifetime of the minefield is cut down to X seconds as the supporting kit is no longer in use as mainly science but all professions are more effective if they can swap between abilities while keeping the others in place if only for a limited time. I say science mainly as they HAVE to be able to hot-swap from one task to another and perhaps on to another again so say from debuff to medic to something else but the team needs those med skills to remain in play while the person plays another role in the team
Captain
# 12
09-23-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm curious what exactly the exploit was. I play as an engineer, but never used kit swapping as a tactic before. I can think of two possibilities.

1. Use fabrication engineer kit and spawn turrets and mines. Then, swap to bunker fabrication kit and spawn generators. Then, swap to enemy neutralization kit and spawn mines and bombs. I can see that this allows an engineer to construct hardy fortifications, but was this really overpowered?

2. Keep multiple copies of the same kit and litter the field with turrets, mortars, and mines. I can see this being very overpowered. But if this was the case, wouldn't it be better to tie the cooldowns and spawning to the ability itself rather than the particular kit equipped? That way, there is no advantage to keeping multiple copies of the same kit, but swapping to different kits still has advantages.
Captain
# 13
09-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtoaster View Post
I'm curious what exactly the exploit was. I play as an engineer, but never used kit swapping as a tactic before. I can think of two possibilities.

1. Use fabrication engineer kit and spawn turrets and mines. Then, swap to bunker fabrication kit and spawn generators. Then, swap to enemy neutralization kit and spawn mines and bombs. I can see that this allows an engineer to construct hardy fortifications, but was this really overpowered?

2. Keep multiple copies of the same kit and litter the field with turrets, mortars, and mines. I can see this being very overpowered. But if this was the case, wouldn't it be better to tie the cooldowns and spawning to the ability itself rather than the particular kit equipped? That way, there is no advantage to keeping multiple copies of the same kit, but swapping to different kits still has advantages.
Exactly, I never used multiple copies (I'd never be able to keep track of which is which) but I do keep multiple kits, the game tips say "get multiple kits for your career so that you can quickly change your abilities" perhaps not those exact words but words to that effect at least. Just because it doesn't affect tacticals doesn't mean its ok for the other two, in fact it makes science very ineffective if they've set up medical stuff (vascular regen and nanite health monitor) and then switch to the xenobiologist kit to do some damage themselves but the person who needed the meds dies because they were taken away with the kit change.

Perhaps we should cater to science for a change, they really need ALL the help they can get right now
Career Officer
# 14
09-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Science doesn't need help on the ground at all, they are diverse and durable, their space captain abilites are ok even if scattered, their ships are a mess.

Tac needs ground help, there is only one way to play with it, I've been trying to get our tacs in the fleet on the ground, but they struggle and for good reason.