Captain
# 1 Thank you multi-select! But...
09-16-2012, 07:03 PM
http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/up...9/cubey009.jpg

I made this today in about 4 hours. It's definitely a buggy tool as far as needing to constantly tweak the y value of what gets copied. But, it's still pretty amazing, despite the bugs.

What's really strange, though, is how I had to tweak the y values. Anyone else messing around with this and finding crazy y values with multi-select?

It's really weird. I would copy a level and it would tell me that it was 171 high. When I changed the copied version to 181, it would be under the 171 level. I was constantly fighting with the arbitrary y values attached to multi-select.

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
09-17-2012, 12:24 AM
I have to admit, that's pretty damn awesome.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 3
09-17-2012, 08:45 AM
I've been having trouble with Y-values as well. When I make a tiny change, it either stays where it is or moves way too much. No margin.

That Borg map is awesome, by the way. Great place for a boss battle.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
That's excellent work, Kirkfat. You are a talented mission builder. I hope you plan to use this in one of your missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I've been having trouble with Y-values as well. When I make a tiny change, it either stays where it is or moves way too much. No margin.

That Borg map is awesome, by the way. Great place for a boss battle.
Did you remember to turn off Grid Snap?

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 09-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Captain
# 5
09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post

Yes, most definitely. It seems to happen more often than not when the rotation value of the copied set is altered prior to a change in y. If I'm not changing the rotation, then I usually don't have a problem adjusting the y of the copied set.
Captain
# 6
09-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Yes. The Y-values I enter into the box don't round anymore, but the actual object still doesn't spawn at the proper altitude.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Career Officer
# 7
09-18-2012, 12:56 AM
I think the problem is that the "pivot" point gets screwed up when you copy. Just like when you copy an enemy group and the actor list gets scrambled, the selected objects are not copied in the proper order. As a result, once you've copied, the object you actually are adjusting is not the one that appears to be selected based on the numbers shown in the box.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 8
09-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
I think the problem is that the "pivot" point gets screwed up when you copy. Just like when you copy an enemy group and the actor list gets scrambled, the selected objects are not copied in the proper order. As a result, once you've copied, the object you actually are adjusting is not the one that appears to be selected based on the numbers shown in the box.
It just seems really unreliable. I'll copy a group of walls with different y values, and it tells me the set is 151 high. I'll copy and put the new set at 151 and all is fine. Next time I do it, I'll have to manually adjust the y to 201 for it to be equal to 151. So, now there is a set at 151 and another at 201 that are level, despite having different group y values.

I guess the first copy relies on the bottom wall as the anchor, while the second copy relies on the top?

It still saves me time, but honestly not very much, if I have to playtest 10 times to tweak the y of a group.

Instead of multi-selecting and tweaking the y, individually copying one wall (+10 y) is faster than multi-select and not knowing what is happening to the y value.

I just don't understand why this engine has such a hard time with copy and pasting y values. It doesn't work on a simple copy and it doesn't work on a multi-select.
Captain
# 9
09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm not even copying things. My Y-values are just messed up on their own.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 10
09-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I'm not even copying things. My Y-values are just messed up on their own.
How strange. And it isn't an issue with Y set relative to geo, terrain, absolute?