Captain
# 1 Help, i am looking for a Game
09-13-2012, 07:44 PM
I want to be as honest as possible.
I am extremely unhappy about how cryptic interprets Star trek as a whole, how they made ships and so on. please don't missunderstand me, this is NOT a i quit thread, i am going to continue playing STO and this has nothing to to with any ZEN or C- Stores or whatever it may be called.

The more i play STO and the more i see cryptics "interpretation" of Star Trek, i wish i could change it just for myself. Modding it, like changing ships BO layout and things like that.

I am wondering if someone knows a game similar like STO just for singleplayer?

I am looking for a game which features both Ground (walking around on planets/starbases) and space (flying your ship).
It would be great if had some RPG elements like character developement and customization and much equipment to choose.
Ships should be very big (no spacefighters) and highly customizable and there should be a huge universe to explore.

I know there are many 4x games around but i am looking for a rpg game, one captain one ship .
I have tried Mass effect I and II but once you have played it through a couple of times you have seen it all.
i am looking for a game with no fixed storyline, just an open universe to explore and a lot to do. It would be nice if there would content added by the developers or maybe some fanmade mods.

I am not sure if i should have written this post in the first place, but if anyone knows a game like this please let me know.

Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Career Officer
# 2
09-13-2012, 07:54 PM
When you find one, let me know.
Career Officer
# 3
09-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Starflight on the Sega Genesis. I kid you not, that game is old school fun. Same for Star Control 2, which is now free.

Independence War 1 & 2 are more modern, but still fairly old.

There are a couple newer indie games that can scratch the itch a bit, like Evochron. It's a nice flight sim that lets you fly down to planets and such. Space Pirates and Zombies is another little indie gem that's surprisingly addictive, but it has simplistic gameplay.

Really though, nothing seems to fit the space-adventure genre these days. You can browse kickstarter to support something in the works that you might like. Those are all the thoughts I have. I'll be watching this thread as well. Good luck.
I miss my _.
Captain
# 4
09-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Thanks for your reply.

It's kinda sad that there is almost nothing in this genre that comes even close to a game like this.
The market is there but no games...

I know Starflight from the late 80' and i loved it, there is even a fanmade remake (which i have played a couple of times, too).

I was hoping that the sucess of STO would help to make more game developers produce games simlar like it, but as far as i know there is none.

I'm just looking for a sci-Fi RPG. One Captain, one ship. Space and Ground mode. A huge amount of Exploration, without having to stick onto a dominant storyline.
No real time Strategy where you have to command a whole civilisation.

What i don't like about todays games is that they mostly feature a nice but much too short story without any freedom. Other games feature huge customization and long term motivation, but they are always MMOs.
I don't want to hold forth about what i dislike about STO, but in general MMOs tend to equable everything for the sake of "balance" if it is appropriate or not. I hate that.

I want to play a game for many months or even years, while it is continuous being developed and enhanced.

Live long and prosper.

Captain
# 5
09-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
It's kinda sad that there is almost nothing in this genre that comes even close to a game like this.
There are "good" Startrek-branded games for space combat, and good ones for ground combat, just not both at once.

Starfleet Command 1/2/3/OP are probably the best Space ones you're likely to come across. Likewise, Elite Force 1/2 are the best Ground ones. And it you're into micro management, there's always Star Trek Armada (think "Starcraft") or "Birth of the Federation".

There are some non-startrek branded games that come close to a merging of ground/space combat: Imperium Galactica 1/2, for example, had decent space combat and ground combat, but it was on a very large scale and was a bit more geared towards Armadas and "Tanks" than one ship with 4-man away teams.

There're also a lot of other space combat/freeroaming games with customizable ships - 'Freelancer' or 'Tachyon: The Fringe' spring to mind.

Sadly it's kind of rare to see a game that justifies going from a huge spacefaring ship to just one person running around on the ground. I suppose there's an argument for smaller ships like those found in the "Jedi Knight" games (great ground combat) to maybe be used to throw a bit of space combat into the mix, but such games would be unlikely to have the same kind of personalisation/customisation (I seem to remember "Shadows of the Empire" let you flick between decent-for-the-time ground and space combat, but with no customisation)

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Captain
# 6
09-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maelwy5 View Post
There're also a lot of other space combat/freeroaming games with customizable ships - 'Freelancer' or 'Tachyon: The Fringe' spring to mind.
Found another one after a bit of browsing: have you looked at http://www.salvationprophecy.com/ ?

Single-Player, Ground and Space Combat, Upgradable ships.

Looks to have a little bit of the "galactic overlord" mechanic too, but it's meant to be merged into part of the storyline. Presumably this is sort of "desk job" once you've moved up the ranks too high...

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." [/Kirk]

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Captain
# 7
09-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Thank you everyone for your answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelwy5 View Post
Found another one after a bit of browsing: have you looked at http://www.salvationprophecy.com/ ?

Single-Player, Ground and Space Combat, Upgradable ships.

Looks to have a little bit of the "galactic overlord" mechanic too, but it's meant to be merged into part of the storyline. Presumably this is sort of "desk job" once you've moved up the ranks too high...

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." [/Kirk]
Thank you i was looking for something like this.
That game seems to come closer to STO as any other game. I hope that maybe there will be someday a Star Trek mod for this game.
But i am surely will take a closer look at it.

Live long and prosper.

Career Officer
# 8
09-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Oh! I'm reminded of a game I got called Precusors. It had potential. You could wander around on planets, drive vehicles around, do missions, fly to other planets, fight in space....

But it just sort of flopped for me. Folks seem to either love or hate it. You might look and see what you think.
I miss my _.
Career Officer
# 9
09-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I really enjoyed Bridge Commander as a single player Star Trek game. There is still a mod community for this also that help improve the vastly dated graphics although it's definitely not as active as it once was. It has everything you could ever hope to want in STO that we will never see here. They have had MVAM tech long before it was even on Cryptic's wish list and you can pretty much have any ship bridge and starship you would like to play as and this includes a sound PvP system. The mods aren't overly difficult to install either.

There is also Elite Force 1 and 2. Yet again. both older games but they have a sound single player experience in the Star Trek world with a good story. There are many mods for both also although I haven't popped into that modders community in quite a long time.
Captain
# 10
09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I have played Bridge Commander for a long time.
There where some great mods out there, some years ago.
(but my disc got broken a long time ago, and i don't really have the money to buy another copy of this game.)
For my taste, that game was much too focussed on combat, i wish there where some kind of free roaming game mode or Exploration mode, where other qualities of your ship where needed.
(something like transport Colonists from A to B, explore some Stellar systems, or some strange anomalies, more activity inside the ship and away team missions.)
When i see most Star Trek games one could think that Star Trek is all about War and destruction.

I wish there was a Star Trek game which is more like a open ended Star Trek simulation. Something like Starflight just more modern and considerably bigger scale.
STO is the closest thing to that, but we all know there are worlds between STO and a Star Trek simulation, lol.

Thanks again everyone for your contributions.

Live long and prosper.