Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 883
# 11
09-19-2012, 09:35 AM
You have it pretty much spot on.

The devs did this to make it look like endgame has stuff to do other than grind stfs until your eyes bleed...
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 12
09-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenzedd View Post

The devs did this to make it look like endgame has stuff to do other than grind stfs until your eyes bleed...
You may be assuming a degree of foresight that wasn't there, to be honest. It really is kind of a radical change in player experience. I doubt that anyone in the dev team was like, "Hey let's make reaching max level equal the play time of grinding that miranda. Isn't that a good idea?"

"Let's make crafting irrelevant!" "Good idea, Joe."

It probably just happened, and when the numbers came in, everyone was like "wtf?"
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,766
# 13
09-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I just want to make sure that I understand this:

STO at launch: A 50 to 80 hour journey to VA, in which players had to play lots of content, even though some of it was lackluster, like patrols. Getting to VA took some work, but we got to experience most of the official content, even if there wasn't much to do at endgame. Players complained about the speed of getting to max level and the lack of endgame content. The game was "too short" and lacked "content." But, there was a reason to care about mid-level purples and even crafting.

STO now: A 10 to 15 hour journey to VA, in which players don't have to play much content at all, beyond a few missions here and there while messing with doffs. Most of the lackluster content, like patrols, is completely optional. Getting to VA takes very little work, and we're likely to hit it prior to playing the Romulan episodes. There is a lot to do at VA, since we hit it before playing captain-level missions. We can just continue on, playing the lower level content after reaching max level. And, there are our starbases. Hitting VA is kind of an arbitrary moment, when we say, "OK, well, I won't get further promoted, but I still have lots of stuff in my mission log." There is no reason to care about mid-level purples or crafting.

Do I have this right?
You left out the RedBull, to make it even shorter.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,766
# 14
09-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
What is the incentive for playing what is left over? Is it any different from playing Foundry content? Once the xp is added for Foundry content, will it just make things worse, or will it make it better, since the 15 hour journey to VA can be an entirely different experience each time?
The Foundry difference is I get a storyline to follow in foundry, even if it doesn't have the pretty toys to win for participating. or follow the STO path to 2409.
I think that once XP is given to the foundry the journey to cap will still be short and like you say, it'll be different each time. Unfortunately it will do nothing to further the STO/Cryptic storyline they have let fliunder in incompleteness and the many questiosn players have on "Why?" will still persist.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,766
# 15
09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalecto View Post
You're quite right about the low and mid level items though, they have very little value.
Possibly its time to make all items in the game level scale with the player?

Quote:
the crafting option is totally illogical.
Crafting certainly needs some love
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,679
# 16
09-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
What is the incentive for playing what is left over? Is it any different from playing Foundry content?
It averages better than the average Foundry content, and none of it is as mind-searingly awful as the worst Foundry content. The rewards are better, which means you can make more EC in the Exchange, until you hit the cap. There's a few cosmetically-interesting unique rewards, but those are mostly in the Featured Episodes.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 82
# 17
09-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
What is the incentive for playing what is left over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Entertainment?
That and the unique level-scaled gear that you get as prizes in certain missions.
Vulcan Science Officer -- Captain of the I.F.D. Gallifrey [Tholian Recluse]
Ambassador of The Order Of Gallifrey // Representative of the 1701 Renegades

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,026
# 18
09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
It averages better than the average Foundry content, and none of it is as mind-searingly awful as the worst Foundry content.
No, no, no. Some of the Cryptic stuff goes way beyond mind searingly bad. I still get the chills every time I think about escorting the SS Rover again. You know the mission. The one you can complete the objectives for in less than five minutes, get up, make a sandwich, have time to digest it, come back, and if you're really lucky the Rover has caught up to you so you can actually get credit for the mission.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,982
# 19
09-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Entertainment?
C'mon man, gamers don't play for entertainment. They play for sweet sweet lootz. Whatever gets them those lootz fastest with the least difficulty wins. Why do you think there's such a call for rewards to be added to Foundry missions. Its because there's a large portion of gamers who no longer care about the experience of gaming.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 798
# 20
09-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
C'mon man, gamers don't play for entertainment. They play for sweet sweet lootz. Whatever gets them those lootz fastest with the least difficulty wins. Why do you think there's such a call for rewards to be added to Foundry missions. Its because there's a large portion of gamers who no longer care about the experience of gaming.
No... SOME of us want to add rewards to the Foundry so that we can have more incentives to play some of the awesome stories on there. I really don't care for the console clickers and think it is an insult to STO, gaming, and the Foundry.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 PM.