Career Officer
# 51
09-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
When it comes down to it, the person in command of a naval vessel, no matter the ships size or their actual rank, is still regarded as "Captain".
And they are still usually the highest ranking officer on the ship. I think an Ensign captaining a ship is definitely a stretch, especially when I have Doffs (which I can immediately claim on a new character) who hold the rank of Lieutenant.
REDALERT - Your channel for info on all EVENT CONTENT

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it's a way of thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe" -Carl Sagan
Captain
# 52
09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
And they are still usually the highest ranking officer on the ship. I think an Ensign captaining a ship is definitely a stretch, especially when I have Doffs (which I can immediately claim on a new character) who hold the rank of Lieutenant.
The only time an Ensign captains a ship is during the Tutorial - when you're sent there by your Captain to do so. By the end of the Tutorial you are promoted to Lieutenant, so it's not generally going to be an issue.
Career Officer
# 53
09-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The only time an Ensign captains a ship is during the Tutorial - when you're sent there by your Captain to do so. By the end of the Tutorial you are promoted to Lieutenant, so it's not generally going to be an issue.
This is right on, but it begs the question "What happened to Lt. j.g.?" I mean it is an actual rank and everything, but it's overlooked in STO.

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it's a way of thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe" -Carl Sagan
Community Moderator
# 54
09-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
This is right on, but it begs the question "What happened to Lt. j.g.?" I mean it is an actual rank and everything, but it's overlooked in STO.
Easily added, too, by making it effectively "Lieutenant, Lower Half".
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 55
09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
That's one option. Another would be to let people keep whatever they already have, give PLENTY of advance notice on the change (like, four months. A season's notice, basically), and then make it so that after that, the Admiral jacket, pips, and rank title become unlocked via duty officer system.

The idea being that an Admiral is a Captain who also does a lot of extra paperwork.

Max out any two DOff categories and get "Rear Admiral, Lower Half" unlocked.

Max out four and get "Rear Admiral, Upper Half."

Max out six get "Fleet Admiral."

Max out eight and get "Vice Admiral."

Max out ten and get "Admiral."

Max out twelve and get "Fleet Admiral."

New DOff categories would be added that give other options from canon like "Colonel," "Deputy Director," or "Commodore" (the last being for an ALL TOS expansion of the DOff program, with TOS themed categories).

ALL of these would be lateral to Captain.
Wow, I really like this suggestion and the whole "paperwork on top of Captain duties" of it all.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Vice Admiral T'Phira, Ragnarok Fleet - Head of Logistics Division; Captain Selena, Ragnarok Fleet; Captain Altecha, Ragnarok Fleet; Captain K'Kera, Ragnarok Fleet
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Captain
# 56
09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Quite a few ranks are overlooked.
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Career Officer
# 57
09-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Easily added, too, by making it effectively "Lieutenant, Lower Half".
Ha! Funny. To overlook it in the rank structure is still somewhat surprising. In the Army rank structure there are 2nd & 1st Lieutenants (Ensign and Lt. j.g. in Navy rank) as well as Lt. Colonel and "Full Bird" Colonels (Commander and Captain in Navy). These are their own distinguishable ranks on different pay scales and would never be combined with one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Not sure what I'm looking at here...uniforms?

Captain
# 58
09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Not sure what I'm looking at here...uniforms?
And ranks. Sorry, Ex-Astris doesn't allow hotlinking.
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Captain
# 59
09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Memory Alpha has a much easier to follow breakdown.
Captain
# 60
09-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Ha! Funny. To overlook it in the rank structure is still somewhat surprising. In the Army rank structure there are 2nd & 1st Lieutenants (Ensign and Lt. j.g. in Navy rank) as well as Lt. Colonel and "Full Bird" Colonels (Commander and Captain in Navy). These are their own distinguishable ranks on different pay scales and would never be combined with one another.
The problem is that we do not see JG used often in Star Trek. The only 2 examples which spring to mind are Picard as a JG in "Tapestry" and Lavelle and Ogawa getting promoted to JG in "Lower Decks." The important characters we encounter in the various episodes tend to be Lieutenant or higher.