Career Officer
# 61
09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
And ranks. Sorry, Ex-Astris doesn't allow hotlinking.
If you are referring to the non-commissioned ranks then yes, Star Trek has always revolved around commissioned officers. Non-commissioned officers would never be command of a ship and although they are an integral part of any unit, are subordinate to commissioned officers. There is a difference between enlisted troops, non-commissioned officers, and commissioned officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stf65 View Post
The problem is that we do not see JG used often in Star Trek. The only 2 examples which spring to mind are Picard as a JG in "Tapestry" and Lavelle and Ogawa getting promoted to JG in "Lower Decks." The important characters we encounter in the various episodes tend to be Lieutenant or higher.
Hmm...Geordi and Worf in TNG...Bashir and Ezri Dax in DS9...Paris and Torres in VOY (although Torres was provisional)...there are a bunch of Lt. j.g. but by the end of the series they always get promoted, which is a logical progression. The higher up you go in rank, the longer you serve at that rank.

Last edited by rickeyredshirt; 09-21-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Captain
# 62
09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
If you are referring to the non-commissioned ranks then yes, Star Trek has always revolved around commissioned officers. Non-commissioned officers would never be command of a ship and although they are an integral part of any unit, are subordinate to commissioned officers. There is a difference between enlisted troops, non-commissioned officers, and commissioned officers.
I know the difference. There are quite a few commissioned officer ranks missing from the game. Fleet Captain, Commodore, as well as positions like Yeoman, are missing as well.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 63
09-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I know the difference. There are quite a few commissioned officer ranks missing from the game. Fleet Captain, Commodore, as well as positions like Yeoman, are missing as well.
Star Trek rank is based upon US Navy rank.
Fleet Captain - A title, not a rank, and a rare title (usually for a single mission). If a group of 5 ships together on mission all have an O-6 Captain in command of each individual ship, one Captain (usually the senior one) will be bestowed with the temporary title of Fleet Captain and be in charge of all the ships.
Commodore - Replaced by Rear Admiral Lower Half in the early 1980s.
Yeoman - Not a commissioned officer but a warrant officer usually tasked with secretarial or administrative duties. Warrant Officer is lower on the totem pole than a commissioned officer but higher than a non-commissioned officer.

The only commissioned officer ranks missing from STO are Lt. Junior Grade and Admiral (which we haven't gotten to yet).

Last edited by rickeyredshirt; 09-21-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 64
09-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Do I have this right?
No.

I'm usually in late Cardassian/Early Borg content (in a duo) before hitting VA, and it takes about as long as it did when I first started playing.

The problem is you, not the game.
Career Officer
# 65
09-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
No.

I'm usually in late Cardassian/Early Borg content (in a duo) before hitting VA, and it takes about as long as it did when I first started playing.

The problem is you, not the game.
I totally disagree there as well as I have quite a few lvl 50s who never played a story-line mission. They leveled 100% through the Doff system (part of the game).
Republic Veteran
# 66
09-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Quote:
I totally disagree there as well as I have quite a few lvl 50s who never played a story-line mission. They leveled 100% through the Doff system (part of the game).
Because obviously, the game forced you to do that instead of leveling up via story missions.
Career Officer
# 67
09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
Because obviously, the game forced you to do that instead of leveling up via story missions.
I think you are missing the point. The game should force you to follow the story but it does not. I could get to VA without ever knowing who B'Vat or Taris are and that's kinda lame. I can't speak for the OP but I think that's kinda what he was driving at. That and even if you played nothing but story-line missions and patrol, you will outlevel the content (leveling is too fast).
Commander
# 68
09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
I think you are missing the point. The game should force you to follow the story but it does not. I could get to VA without ever knowing who B'Vat or Taris are and that's kinda lame. I can't speak for the OP but I think that's kinda what he was driving at. That and even if you played nothing but story-line missions and patrol, you will outlevel the content (leveling is too fast).
Its an MMO, the game shouldn't force you to do anything. Some folks are mad the KDF tutorial is manditory.

And who cares if you max level before you finish the story missions. The loot and mobs scale.
Republic Veteran
# 69
09-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
I think you are missing the point.
No you.

Quote:
The game should force you to follow the story but it does not.
Why?

I do not ask rhetorical questions. In the interests of critical thinking, seriously, why?

Quote:
I could get to VA without ever knowing who B'Vat or Taris are and that's kinda lame.
Explain why this matters. Not everyone cares about the story. Obviously, I do, but I actually have a close personal friend who thinks stories are a waste of time (which offends me, but I also find it highly ironic considering his profession). The devs obviously believe that a player should be able to choose which kind of content suits them. I agree. I suppose you feel like Skyrim should force you to finish the main story before doing side quests or guilds?

Quote:
I can't speak for the OP
Sure can't.

Quote:
but I think that's kinda what he was driving at.
So? What does this have to do with you?

Quote:
That and even if you played nothing but story-line missions and patrol, you will outlevel the content (leveling is too fast).
You would prefer to run out of primary storyline content the exact moment that you hit VA so that you now have nothing to do but foundry missions (lol) and STFs (no story at all) with your now max level character?

Okay.

Last edited by commanderkassy; 09-21-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Career Officer
# 70
09-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoxy View Post
Its an MMO, the game shouldn't force you to do anything. Some folks are mad the KDF tutorial is manditory.

And who cares if you max level before you finish the story missions. The loot and mobs scale.
I agree with you to an extent but any MMO I've ever played has told a story. Also, what is point of having story-line leveling missions if there is no need for them? If this game allowed SP for Foundry and had a decent PvP system that would be one thing, but in STO there is story-line missions and Doffs and that's it.

@commanderkassy - Rawr. Someone drank their angry juice this afternoon.

Last edited by rickeyredshirt; 09-21-2012 at 04:48 PM.