Republic Veteran
# 71
09-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
@commanderkassy - Rawr. Someone drank their angry juice this afternoon.
I drank my critical thinking juice this morning. I asked several important questions. Questions you should answer if you want to support your views. If you cannot effectively answer them in a logical manner, instead choosing to point out your personal perception of my attitude, then I will go ahead and pat myself on the back.
Career Officer
# 72
09-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
I agree with you to an extent but any MMO I've ever played has told a story.

@commanderkassy - Rawr. Someone drank their angry juice this afternoon.
I really like WoW's basic model there, which I think a lot of people have tried to imitate without understanding.

In WoW, you have a zone with a central problem. That problem is apparent everywhere you go there. It's apparent in the dailies, the simple gather missions, and the storylines -- which may got off on tangents but build from a central problem.

You progress through the zone. Then through reputation grinds, an epic questline, and/or a dungeon, you decisively confront an enemy, a loss, or a shortage which is somehow central to the problem in that zone.

You are presented with the idea you made a difference. In later expansions, you actually see the zone transform. And then you move on for the most part, with that zone being turned into a social hub/PvP area/crafting location.

The idea is simple and brilliant. You have sandbox elements but are held back from playing in the sandbox until you have experienced a linear story that builds an emotional tie between you and the expanded sandbox you are about to receive.
Career Officer
# 73
09-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
I drank my critical thinking juice this morning. I asked several important questions. Questions you should answer if you want to support your views. If you cannot effectively answer them in a logical manner, instead choosing to point out your personal perception of my attitude, then I will go ahead and pat myself on the back.
I have 0 interest in sharing my thoughts with someone who wants to devolve a conversation into 'No you' and multi-quotes. Present your thoughts logically and maybe we have a conversation.
Subspace Party Nullifier Enthusiast
Republic Veteran
# 74
09-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
I have 0 interest in sharing my thoughts with someone who wants to devolve a conversation into 'No you'
I was only reflecting in my statement the attitude you presented. You cannot have it both ways.

Quote:
and multi-quotes.
What's wrong with multi-quotes? It allows me to address individual ideas and concepts in the debate in an organized manner.

Quote:
Present your thoughts logically and maybe we have a conversation.
I already did. You chose to ignore my questions.

Simple facts:

I went after the basic concepts in your post (which I felt were flawed).

You went after me.
Career Officer
# 75
09-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I really like WoW's basic model there, which I think a lot of people have tried to imitate without understanding.

In WoW, you have a zone with a central problem. That problem is apparent everywhere you go there. It's apparent in the dailies, the simple gather missions, and the storylines -- which may got off on tangents but build from a central problem.

You progress through the zone. Then through reputation grinds, an epic questline, and/or a dungeon, you decisively confront an enemy, a loss, or a shortage which is somehow central to the problem in that zone.

You are presented with the idea you made a difference. In later expansions, you actually see the zone transform. And then you move on for the most part, with that zone being turned into a social hub/PvP area/crafting location.

The idea is simple and brilliant. You have sandbox elements but are held back from playing in the sandbox until you have experienced a linear story that builds an emotional tie between you and the expanded sandbox you are about to receive.
I like this idea as well. Perhaps an answer would be to remove XP from Doff missions and only award CXP, but make reaching lvl 4 in any one of the Doff catagories worth something more than just earning a title and a purple doff. Maybe make exploration sectors worth only Exploration CXP and dilithium. Redalerts dilithium and fleet marks. Just some ideas that would make leveling content worth playing and a necessity to level a character to VA.
Captain
# 76
09-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
We were having a nice and pleasant conversation and debate until you came charging into my thread. Now it will likely be closed. Thanks for that.

Last edited by kirksplat; 09-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 77
09-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
We were having a nice and pleasant conversation and debate until you came charging into my thread.
I'm always very pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Now it will likely be closed. Thanks for that.
I added to the debate. People got defensive when they couldn't counter my argument and made it personal instead.

Remember, I did not make this personal, Rickie did. I was critical of his post, he was critical of me.

Thank him.

Last edited by commanderkassy; 09-21-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Captain
# 78
09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

This is going back to your "Intro" missions-Zone- "Outro" Missions is it not? The more I've thought about it, the better it sounds. It wouldn't work in every case, but I think that STO should do something like that more often.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 79
09-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
I like this idea as well. Perhaps an answer would be to remove XP from Doff missions and only award CXP, but make reaching lvl 4 in any one of the Doff catagories worth something more than just earning a title and a purple doff. Maybe make exploration sectors worth only Exploration CXP and dilithium. Redalerts dilithium and fleet marks. Just some ideas that would make leveling content worth playing and a necessity to level a character to VA.
Adding to what I was saying, what if story-line content was the only means of gaining XP outside of PvP. For one, PvP would need a revamp and we know that is already in the works. Second, everything else would need a reward whether that be CXP, Fleet Marks, Latinum, or Dilithium. That seems doable. The final change would be giving the player the option to either a) play the storyline mission appropriate to their level or b) playing a developer-approved Foundry mission for equal XP. Maybe give the player a handful of Foundry tokens to use per rank so that the player at some point must keep up with what's going on with the STO storyline but can still play UGC at their discretion or bypass a mission they don't care for.

Last edited by rickeyredshirt; 09-21-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Captain
# 80
09-21-2012, 07:22 PM
What's the point of an MMO without a continuing story?

The whole point of playing a game is to be entertained. Grinding is only "fun" for a short time.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q