Lt. Commander
# 1 How about a Mercenary Faction?
09-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I was thinking how cool it would be to start out as an unaffiliated character that can work for either faction. The starting missions could deal with rescuing a freighter under siege by the KDF in one mission and repelling a Starfleet attack on an illegal mining operation in the next. Something along those lines. There could even be a few missions where you point your own moral compass and choose between one outcome or the other, such as siding with KDF or Starfleet, and your rewards vary based on which you choose.

You can also choose ships from both factions, excluding their more unique offerings, such as no B'Rels, Kar'Fis, Atroxes, or Armitages. Instead, you'll get their more generic picks plus some more unique flagships that only Mercs can pilot. I'm sure there is some random thing in the Star Trek universe that would fit the bill. The real benefit to being a Merc would be to have more ship options and STF gear options (choose Maco or KHG), as well as race and costume options. Maybe that will make things too unfair for existing factions. I don't know.

You still have to level up, of course, but instead of ranks, you get prestige or renown or whatever. As your level progresses, you go through the stages of Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master - like my father before me. Work you way up to Master and fly your hijacked Andorian Kumari into a battle where you break up the KDF and Starfleet and swipe the thing they were both after. I can help but get excited at the thought.

I know this will never happen, but do any of you guys find this interesting? Would you like to see more Mercs and Bounty Hunters in the game? Or should we just stick to Boy Scouts vs Bad Boys business as usual?
Rihannsu
# 2
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
I think you are looking for SWTOR, its down the hall on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephilim83 View Post
There could even be a few missions where you point your own moral compass and choose between one outcome or the other, such as siding with KDF or Starfleet, and your rewards vary based on which you choose.
I really don't see the Federation hiring or encouraging Mercenaries.

Quote:
I know this will never happen, but do any of you guys find this interesting? Would you like to see more Mercs and Bounty Hunters in the game? Or should we just stick to Boy Scouts vs Bad Boys business as usual?
Very rarely in Star Trek have Mercenaries been portrayed as good. All it would give us is Boy Scouts vs. Bad Boys vs. Unscrupulous Bad Boys.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Super Moderator
# 3
09-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Something like an unaffiliated faction could be interesting down the road. Someday.

But I can't see giving them mostly free and unlimited access to both Fed and KDF specific shinies. Presumably stolen or black-market hardware, sure. Alien ships, souped up Civilian vessels, and kitbashed Cruisers and Raptors, maybe. Certain missions that could conceivably be farmed out to Mercs. Some parts of the game wouldn't make much sense for Mercs.

On the other hand, it wouldn't take much to be able to role-play a Merc right now. If you could put your crew in custom uniforms, and if using non-regulation costume parts was permissable, that would go a long way.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
I think you are looking for SWTOR, its down the hall on the right.
Ugh. No. I like STO, I think I'll stick with it. I was just thinking of another dimension that could be added to it to give players who've fully explored both existing factions another way to enjoy the game. I've got 3 of each faction so far. Once I get the maxed out and with all the gear they can get, I get kinda bored with them. I just want to level up a character that doesn't answer to either of those groups and can be more independent from a group as a whole. Also, the federation doesn't have to like it. You would primarily be hired by civilians to fight off one faction of the other, at which point, you may be given the opportunity to forgo your contract and side with the faction you are fighting against for special faction exclusives, like unlocking the use of one of their ships or something. I dunno. It was just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Something like an unaffiliated faction could be interesting down the road. Someday.

But I can't see giving them mostly free and unlimited access to both Fed and KDF specific shinies. Presumably stolen or black-market hardware, sure. Alien ships, souped up Civilian vessels, and kitbashed Cruisers and Raptors, maybe. Certain missions that could conceivably be farmed out to Mercs. Some parts of the game wouldn't make much sense for Mercs.

On the other hand, it wouldn't take much to be able to role-play a Merc right now. If you could put your crew in custom uniforms, and if using non-regulation costume parts was permissable, that would go a long way.
Yeah, that's why I said their access to faction ships should be limited. Like, locking out all the best ships and gear. But I know how Cryptic is about generating new content these days, so I figured it would be easier for them to swallow if they were only responsible for making a few new Mercenary ships instead of an entire lineup. Also, I more or less figured the Mercs would be excluded from many of the current episodes and only given the ones that make the most sense to them. A lot of the later missions seem like they'd work, though. Like the Breen ones of Joining BattleGroup Omega. There could even be a special Merc set if they didn't want to share the faction goodies.

Like I said, just an idea I was toying around with, but I think it would add a lot to the game if they did something along these lines, especially for someone like me who has so many Fed and KDF characters already. Heck... They could even skip missions and just let you build a straight PVP, PVE character that can join either factions PVEs and level via the daily PVP missions. I'd be fine with that.
Captain
# 6
09-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Wouldnt work.

Can you see Janeway pacing around with a bunch of mercenaries in Voyager Bridge and saying "I want then alive, no disintegration"?

OK maybe we can but can see Picard doing that? no and that is why it does not work.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-19-2012, 10:14 PM
That's pretty much what the KDF is with all the other races added in. Mercenaries in Starfleet ships just doesn't make sense.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Okay, I concede. It's a dumb idea. I was just thinking of how cool it would be to be a freelancer in a game that plays a lot like STO. Not necessarily a bounty hunter, but you could take those kinds of jobs if you wanted, effectively altering your moral alignment. Maybe we'll save that one for another game, eh?
Commander
# 9
09-20-2012, 12:03 AM
not a bad idea, just not as a faction anyone can join. poor wording, not as a faction you start off in~> hit 30 and you could switch to a merc faction, taking ship, and crew with you, boffs coming along would be dependent on the race and faction. orions, andorians, humans, aliens much more likely to go rogue then say vulcans, klingons and mayhap a few others.

can go rogue say from anytime after 30, you're just pretty much stuck with the ship you have whenever you do break off. also loss of all missions so leveling would be difficult. some dailies would still be available, see no reason why fed or kdf wouldn't sub contract exploration. with the new rep system coming that could make and independent/merc/freebooter/privateer style faction much more interesting.

ships would be blackmarket, top premium latinum for the best...and ec/latinum would be the preferred method of exchange. Latinum much more important than ec. alt race ships such as ferengi, nausicaan, orion, reman, andorian would probably be available. as well as older decommisioned models supposedly sold for scrap might find their way into the hands of traders >.>

wouldn't take as much work to do as a faction like kdf or fed, since there would be few if any missions beyond dailies and possible stf's. adding the ships as playable, stations for independents to congregate, buy, sell, haggle some trade routes, new boff's and doff's for them...some doff missions would need to be removed from their roster, a few new types added. ok, maybe a moderate amount of work to do >.>
Captain
# 10
09-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Wouldnt work.

Can you see Janeway pacing around with a bunch of mercenaries in Voyager Bridge and saying "I want then alive, no disintegration"?

OK maybe we can but can see Picard doing that? no and that is why it does not work.
Yes, I can definitely see Janeway doing that when she's in bipolar mode.