Captain
# 1 Is this forum dying out?
09-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Anyone else got the impression that this forum is slowly but steadily dying out? You can almost count the new post made in a day with one hand. There are almost no dev posts anymore and the "official" threads are hardly held up to date.

That's a pity. I think between all the hate and complaints an active and frequently used forum is a very important source for new ideas. And it is central for keeping up the player's interest in this game. A "silent forum" often marks the near end which I hope is not the case.
Commander
# 2
09-18-2012, 02:01 AM
It's not really dying out. It's just full of KDF complaining about how unfair life is. You can't make a thread these days without some hardcore Klingon player derailing it.

So people don't bother making threads.
Rihannsu
# 3
09-18-2012, 02:04 AM
It's most likely quiet because there's not a lot going on at the moment with STO. We are between seasons and knowing cryptic they wont release any indepth information about season 7 till nearer the time.

Also a lot of people are probably getting burned out with the game and probably dont play much (if at all) and probably wont be very active till season 7 hits.

STO has always been like this, people come back (or join up) around the time a season hits, then after a month or 2 they go and play other games or other more interesting things, only the real die hards play all the time. Although in the past the Devs were more active on the forums so that would contribute to the talking.... These days the Dev's are a lot more quiet and we can only talk about the same old missions so many times.
-----------------------------------------------

HHMMMMMmmmmm, Pizza !!!!!
Captain
# 4
09-18-2012, 02:12 AM
Also, in many countries summer holidays are over, so people are getting back into different routines, favouring non-gaming activities for a couple of weeks.

I also suspect some people might be trying out Guild Wars 2; some of those will come back, some of them might not. Some of those who do might bring back new people, who knows?
Career Officer
# 5
09-18-2012, 02:13 AM
Not noticed this particularly although the points made by the posters above are certainly factors.
Rihannsu
# 6
09-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szim View Post
Anyone else got the impression that this forum is slowly but steadily dying out? You can almost count the new post made in a day with one hand. There are almost no dev posts anymore and the "official" threads are hardly held up to date.
Not really as I've seen it all before. I remember seeing a thread like this a year ago. it comes and goes in phases depending on the time of year, what is currently out, how close to a new season it is etc etc.

Its certainly not at its busiest but to be honest it usually flares up when something really bad is happening that causes a lot of controversy or something noteworthy like a FE series is being released.

we are in a between season, between content, between lockbox phase where there is just not a whole heap new to talk about. It will pick up again, and it will go quiet again.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szim View Post

That's a pity. I think between all the hate and complaints an active and frequently used forum is a very important source for new ideas. And it is central for keeping up the player's interest in this game. A "silent forum" often marks the near end which I hope is not the case.
I think you may be seeing burnout on the part of the players in many cases. Between the godaweful changes to the Forums and our accounts and the immense waves of indifference coming from PWE some of us have just thrown in the towel.

I used to be constructive and bring up new ideas but honestly I have since decided that I am fairly done with that. I will support those who deserve support and help to disillusion those who have serious misconceptions about the game or the company but it is hard to be motivated to do much else when I know I would be talking to a Wall.
Commander
# 8
09-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Well, I would say that an awful lot of the old timers, both the haters (me) and the CDFers, have definitely either left, or cannot be bothered to post any more.

I understand when people say this is the "in between" seasons slowness, however, even at it's lowest, the forums still had a lot of posts, both positive and negative.

I think what you are seeing now that are left playing, are the real hardcore Star Trek fans that enjoy the game warts and all and I see very few negative posts any more.

Poor forums for a poor game now

I'm sure it will pick up when the next lock box is announced and they can continue to fleece the gullible .
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
09-18-2012, 04:27 AM
I can only speak for myself but I switched from "visiting the forum several times a day" to "visiting the forum rarely".

The reason is that I got really tired of reading all the hate-Threads with always the same arguements... I started to visit these forums back in the days to get useful information or at least discussion but not to read people bashing the same things over and over again. Just take a look at the thread about the racing uniform for example...
Captain
# 10
09-18-2012, 05:12 AM
I for one think the forums have just repeated threads now so I tend to skip a lot now. But I think this game is dieing until Season 7 comes out a people have gotten bored of fleet grinds and the lack of decent content in game. some of us like myself are holding out to see if some things chnge but even I am spending more time away from STO so possibly may not be here by Season 7 after all when a game dies we just find another.