Career Officer
# 11
09-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I play the story mission, almost exclusively. I'll explain...

I have three main toons, and three alt toons. The alts are for, right now, fleet support.

My mains though are running through the story mission.

My first toon (all toons are FED by the way), a tac, started in April of 2010. i played the old format story missions with him, and really enjoyed them. i got him all the way through to VA 50.

I left the game for a few months, and came back after Season 5 launch. I kind of fell in love with the game again, and started another toon, this time a Sci. I decided to play the story line missions again to see how things have changed. which some were good, some were meh.
I got her to VA 50 without even finishing the Romulan story. But not by design. I was doing dilith dailies (for crafting) and DOff assignments. Right now, she is getting ready to run the Reman Featured Episodes, before moving on to the Cardassian missions.

The third regular is an ENG, who is doing the Devidian set, and is already almost a RA. Again, dailies and DOff assignments.

In general, i felt that the storyline missions are very nice. Could you a little more in terms of actual story. But, if you stop and read the text from mission givers, it does provide clues to what is going on.

The Path to 2409, has information that leads up to the game, including the "cause" of the Klingon/Fed war... but I have my own suspicions...

As a life long Star Trek fan, I found some of the story missions quite entertaining, especially Saturday's Child.

I think in the time of have been gaming in STO, I have done two STFs (the Big Dig and Starbase 24, before the queues existed), and have never gone into PvP arenas.

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-20-2012, 02:39 PM
If the foundry rewarded people comparably to the official missions, and proportionate to the amount of time spent, far more people would be playing story missions.
Captain
# 13
09-20-2012, 02:47 PM
I am leveling a new alt now and playing the story missions again. I like the story aspect of it, I wish there was a more cohesive narrative. My problem is- at least in the Klingon and Romulan front- it seems a little ADHD. They'll be a couple of missions that carry the story forward and then you get stuck doing something else and you're like WTF?

For example- You get Diplomatic Orders and Hide and Seek, then you get stuck with the first of the aid the planet missions and Scientific Mandate. Couldn't that have been covered when we were running around ESD before Stranded in Space?

The other problem I've run into is level requirements. Twice now I've had to stop playing story missions and grind an explore mission so I can level up to a required level to carry the story forward.

Overall, I enjoy them. I've enjoyed the feature episodes and I hope they move forward with them.
Captain
# 14
09-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I play the story missions, actually that is how I'm leveling as well. I hadn't done the foundry missions as I hadn't done the regular stories. Plus with my time I have to play is a factor. I plan on doing the foundry ones after I run out of regular story first.

My only complaint is the lack of KDF missions. They are the worst I ever saw for stories. Only 5 per Romulan, and Dominion ones. That is horrible. So I have no choice but to do the duty officer assignments and farm the star cluster missions.

I'm all for story on games. I the one who spends time reading everything that goes on on that story.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiap View Post
For example- You get Diplomatic Orders and Hide and Seek, then you get stuck with the first of the aid the planet missions and Scientific Mandate. Couldn't that have been covered when we were running around ESD before Stranded in Space?
Those two missions aren't actually Storyline, they're basically sidequest tutorials. I didn't actually find that a problem: Not everything you'd do in Starfleet relates to some grand plot, after all.

However, no, I tend not to do many of the storyline missions, especially not after the first time, mostly because the rewards are crap, and when you have a half dozen or more toons to manage, you really can't be bothered with doing a mission that rewards you with vendortrash you could scoop off the exchange for close to what you'd get for vendortrashing it in the first place.

I like a few of them, though, mostly because they actually give me something I can't just buy for a pittance, like the retro phasers and the hybrid weapons. A pity they don't keep up with the MkXII stuff, but their coolty alone makes them worthwhile as a stopgap until then. There are a few big winners in the rewards that are actually viable for real use, though. In my book, endgame is the only thing that matters. There are people who tell you that it's the journey and not the destination that matters, but those people are slackers making up sorry excuses for the fact that they'll never amount to anything in life. There's an old Klingon proverb, "pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS": If you want to eat Pipius claw, you're going to have to break a few pipiuses.
Captain
# 16
09-20-2012, 03:23 PM
It really is strange though. first 15ish missions in the game showcase some of the worst stories, even with the remasters, while the better stuff is now usually post VA, when there are many players who won't play them. With the exception a few missions, the Devidian arc, and Doomsday, the first 1/3 of the missions are really lackluster compared to the last 2/3rds of the story missions.
Ensign
# 17
09-20-2012, 03:32 PM
My entire problem with the missions is there to much been there done that. Almost every mission consist of destroying the enemy, beaming to a planet, scan this, destroy more enemies then repeating it pretty much in another mission. Since when has Star Trek been about ship battles all the time. There needs to be more variety in the missions and how there completed. Give me the option to complete the mission peacefully, give some other things to do in the mission other than scan scan, scan, & repeatably click fire all weapons.
Captain
# 18
09-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Yes and no.

Yes I play Story missions, but not very often. PvE rewards are better.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
It really is strange though. first 15ish missions in the game showcase some of the worst stories, even with the remasters, while the better stuff is now usually post VA, when there are many players who won't play them. With the exception a few missions, the Devidian arc, and Doomsday, the first 1/3 of the missions are really lackluster compared to the last 2/3rds of the story missions.
And no one will play them because the rewards are nonexistent. You get, for your trouble, worthless vendortrash and XP you can't do anything with. Maybe if they gave you a Lobi for your time. I hear this used to happen, but like I always say: Things Always Get Worse, and this is why we can't have nice things.
Captain
# 20
09-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Overall I actually prefer the Missions below level 25 as opposed to above 25 - not including FEs. By the time I move into the 2nd half of the Romulan front, Cardassian front, and then Borg front it all feels blah to me. It's all subjective, though.