Career Officer
# 1 starfleet law question
09-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Because i know someone here in this community will know this

is there a regulation in regard to commiting genocide against a sentient race. in a non-war setting

if there is i'll need proof
Rihannsu
# 2
09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Well, it'll take a bit of research to find anything else, but I would say that definitely violates the Prime Directive
Commander
# 3
09-21-2012, 06:18 AM
This might help.

General order 1 (the prime directive) prohibits interference with the development of any species; general order 2 is the regulation against needless destruction of intelligent life.

However, there are other general orders that allow these two to be broken if there is sufficient threat to the ship or the Federation. But only if there is sufficient threat.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.

Last edited by velktra; 09-21-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Your link doesn't go anywhere, velktra.

As for the OP, I'd honestly think that 'no genocide' would be implied, and that you wouldn't have to actually have an official rule for it.

500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
Captain
# 5
09-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagurazaka77 View Post
As for the OP, I'd honestly think that 'no genocide' would be implied, and that you wouldn't have to actually have an official rule for it.
You would think, but the simple truth is it would be incorporated into the official laws - it's not a rule if no one ever states it's a rule. The US, for example, passed the Genocide Implementation Act of 1987 in late 1988.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-21-2012, 07:00 AM
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star...nd_Regulations

Take a look at all of them at the above website.

But, General Order 24 allows for complete destruction of the surface of an inhabited planet.

And there are several situations that might allow for it legally speaking:

SR3P12 (Starfleet Regulation 3 Paragraph 12) - In the event of imminent destruction, a Starfleet Captain is authorized to preserve the lives of his crew by any justifiable means. This is quoted in the Voyager episode "Equinox"

So have a gander...
Admiral Jisil T'ror
“Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
Commander
# 7
09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagurazaka77 View Post
Your link doesn't go anywhere, velktra.

The message board's URL function is retarded, and it broke my link. I fixed it though. (And it was same one posted by sovak so no harm done, lol.)

Thanks for telling me it was broken.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.