Commander
# 11
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
It would appear that the truth actually does hurt.
# 12
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Actual trolling is very rare in any setting and usually self-defeating.

It doesn't take very long for posters to wisen up to trolls. More often than not, continuing with the dialogue forces any trolls into the mainstream of the conversation. Actual trolls desire attention and empowerment - same as anyone else really, they just go about seeking those things in a less constructive way. If the dialogue continues in spite of their efforts, then the erstwhile troll must contribute to the discussion to achieve his aims.

Accusations of trolling, like Godwinning, are almost invariably either a tacit admission that one has failed at advancing one's position through reason, or trolling itself. Proof being that one can't very well save a thread by calling the posters trolls: is a troll going to stop being a troll because he's called a troll, or does doing so validate his behavior? When one calls someone a troll, one effectively checks out of any possible productive discussion.

So of course it shouldn't come as any surprise we see such accusations so much more on forums with a bottom line. Businesses exist to make a profit, of course. So promulgating ideas and attitudes - flattery etc - favorable to that bottom line is necessary. Hence this thread.

...Did anyone notice the disjunction where the issue ceased to my observation of the OP's affiliation and intentions and became the topic raised by the OP himself? Sneaky... O_o

Anyway, I don't think my panegyric really hurts anyone. When you go to a party, do you complain when a discussion veers a bit off-topic? No harm done as long as everyone's having a good time, right? Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Enough digression - back to the OP. Does anyone actually have any of those dev namesake doffs? I'd like to buy some for a few million EC. Hmm.. If we have doffs named after the devs, maybe we could also have doffs named after the mods? They could be...advisors maybe? Diplomats?

What do you guys think? Sorry if this offends you, if you're not warm to the idea then just let us know =)

Last edited by aestu; 09-21-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Captain
# 13
09-22-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
They could be...advisors maybe? Diplomats?
Just make sure they're not of white quality...otherwise it would make them the cheapest and most useless doffs around alongside common chefs and traders.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
diogene0, if you really want this thread closed I can do that. Not a threat, just asking if you really want it closed. If you want to do dev2doff conversions, I don't have a problem with it as long as you're not putting someone in a negative light. The borticus one was funny and I don't think he'd be offended by it.
@Bluegeek, you are entitled do carry out what you do and should not expect too much appreciation, moderator is a thankless job. Responding to Diogene in this way was not right, you should have done that privately, and if you wanted, you could have removed his posting. Don't get pulled in like that. Keep your balance.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
09-22-2012, 12:37 PM
I can see Dev DOFFs as Development Lab Scientists.