Captain
It's unbearable.... I get 100% rate of ESD load hangs. Yes, that's EVERY TIME. Permanent waiting to get there. Forget about ever trying to run the elusive "Tour the Galaxy" anymore... you can never get to ESD! You lose 20 minutes out of the hour trying to get in! The only time it doesn't run a chance of hanging is when the server is deserted in the wee hours of the night. Forget about it on weekends. I can't visit ESD at all.

Then there's DS9! Ever since Season6 the code has been rather messed up just like ESD. There's a 60% chance my attempting to dock with DS9 will hang and never actually load. If I'm already ON DS9 and I run an STF and then finish that and it tries to reload me back to DS9? Yep! Still that same 2 out of 3 chance it will NEVER happen!

I KNOW you know how to code this! First time logins work every time without any delay. I KNOW the code is there. SO FIX IT! For god's sake! I have to end task and kill the game every time, and log in again. It takes a second and I get in every time without fail. SO WHY do I have to end task the freaking game? FIX THIS! It's a massive game breaking bug!

You HAVE the code! Run the friggin' first-time-login load instead of the stupid I-don't-work map loads. PLEASE!
Career Officer
# 2
09-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I have never encountered the problems you are describing.
Is it possible that it's your connection and nothing to do with Cryptic's end ?
Captain
# 3
09-21-2012, 11:43 PM
No. Not in the slightest. It's not a connection issue. It's bad programming. It's affecting half the player base, and not the other half for some reason. It's been getting slightly worse and worse but lately it's just impossible.

Like I said, when I close the game and log in fresh it loads no delay in a split second. Any time AFTER first login, though, results in a map load hang.
Captain
# 4
09-21-2012, 11:47 PM
No it's not just him. Last week I had an ESD hang up tha lasted 15 minutes.

Seriously, I had time to make a sandwich and get halfway through eating it before I finally beamed in.

I may not get it as often as the OP but I HAVE gotten it. From multiple connection sites and both wired and wireless connections. My friends and fleetmates have as well.
Career Officer
# 5
09-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
No. Not in the slightest. It's not a connection issue. It's bad programming. It's affecting half the player base, and not the other half for some reason. It's been getting slightly worse and worse but lately it's just impossible.

Like I said, when I close the game and log in fresh it loads no delay in a split second. Any time AFTER first login, though, results in a map load hang.
Strange. I don't see how an effect like this can affect only some players. It honestly sounds to me like connection issues , perhaps not a personal level, but perhaps geographically. As I said, I have never seen, or heard of this issue before, so just trying to help you think of possibilities.
Career Officer
# 6
09-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Strange. I don't see how an effect like this can affect only some players. It honestly sounds to me like connection issues...
It's not. This is a well known bug.

It's intermittent, and not universal. I got it when it first cropped up for several months. I haven't seen it in, maybe, two months now though. I don't think it's ever been nailed down exactly what causes it.

This is something introduced with Season 4. It was present on TTS while Holodeck was unaffected. When Season 4 went live... *bam* ... it migrated over and hasn't left since.
# 7
09-22-2012, 12:37 AM
I watched it happen when I was on a team. The person in space showed him listed in one instance but for the person on the ground who was in a different instance and it showed him as beaming into that once since his health bar with no shields appeared on his icon with a distance. On his screen showed up as a loading page on 96%. It was almost as if he was caught between instances like the one was full and it was trying to move him but couldn't. It was weird.

I've been caught by this several times myself. Once it looks like it is stuck I relaunch the game client to save time.
Commander
# 8
09-22-2012, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappyj0yj0y View Post
It's not. This is a well known bug.

It's intermittent, and not universal. I got it when it first cropped up for several months. I haven't seen it in, maybe, two months now though. I don't think it's ever been nailed down exactly what causes it.

This is something introduced with Season 4. It was present on TTS while Holodeck was unaffected. When Season 4 went live... *bam* ... it migrated over and hasn't left since.
it is a connection bug. stating that it isn't, then saying the reason hasn't been nailed down...it acts like one. loads waiting on server response, if there's a iffy hop somewhere between the player and the server the way the client is, it will crash or hang.

not saying the client doesn't need fixing, it does. entirely too sensitive to transmission errors or delays.

@OP it's not half the server, not even close. if it was there would be dozens of complaint topics already. that's why it acts like a connection issue as well, or some people have messed up clients or system configs that cause it. the latter seems less likely than the former. though certain apps in background might cause hangs too, AV's, anti=malware, apps that might consider the burst of info needed to load an area as some sort of suspicious activity.

still seems less likely than connection issues though, those affect everyone with same ISP and/or same area going through the same or similar hops to get to sto servers.

i've never had the problem. use an AV app that's disabled while i game, located in the midwest, and running win7 64....if you want something fixed, don't just scream 'fix it' especially since it's not a universal problem...post some info to help devs maybe isolate what could be causing it.
Captain
# 9
09-23-2012, 12:11 AM
No. It's not a connection problem. You are not being disonnected. It's the game code doesn't properly FINISH loading the map. Like when you cross one sector of space into another. That's not a connection problem. It's a code problem.
Career Officer
# 10
09-23-2012, 02:04 AM
The problem is on both sides.

It is on the players' side when the download to the game server drops suddenly. The server still responds to the constant pings so it doesn't drop your session, but the download has stalled.

And it is on the game's side when the download stalls. The connection is still there, but the latency has suddenly jumped to a ridiculously impossible level. The game's network code isn't optimized to properly detect this happening and reset the download.

I get about a whole week of this happening once a month.