Captain
Note: This is not a petition to remove cloaking devices from Klingon player's ships. This is talking about IP and canon wise and discussing Klingon social-psychology and military tactics as a race. Again I do not wish anything in game to change.[/b]

I was thinking about Klingons and Cloaking devices today... and I was kinda stumped on to how the two became acquainted. I know that some how in the late 22nd century that the Romulans gave the Klingons the cloaking tech (By one means or another... ) But My question is: How does a race that values honor and military strength justify hiding from an enemy

I know that Klingons are not fools, but it seems so out of their style to even use cloaking devices. Wouldn't it be dishonorable to hide in the rocks on a path and then ambush your enemy? That is the same idea behind a Bird of Prey: you cloak and then ambush your enemy when he is not ready for it. Where is the honor in fighting an enemy who is not also prepared to meet you with full force? You are denying you and your enemy a full fight with full honor.

Again, I know the immense tactical advantage this would give a military force. But it just doesn't seem Klingon
Empire Veteran
# 2
09-22-2012, 02:42 AM
There is no honor in defeat, the honor is in victory.

Stop judging our honor by petty Human standards.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-22-2012, 02:59 AM
There is a Klingon proverb: "In war, there is nothing more honorable than victory.".
Rihannsu
# 4
09-22-2012, 03:08 AM
There was a brief technology exchange between the klingons and the romulans. klingons got cloaks and romulans got some battlecruisers.

at this stage in galactic affairs the cloak would have seen as becoming and everyday part of space travel in the same way that everyone would have phasers, shields and warp drive. the feds would have developed their own cloak eventually if not for the treaty with the romulans some time later so the klingons would not want to be the only power without one.

klingon honour is also not quite the same thing as our honour. winning is what is important to them, the actual way its achieved is less important.

you could draw the conclusions that why would any klingon use a spaceship to destroy his enemies when they have been raised on legends of hand to hand combat. space combat is so impersonal but they move with the times.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 5
09-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
There is no honor in defeat, the honor is in victory.

Stop judging our honor by petty Human standards.
... Why do I feel like I should sleep with a phaser underneath my pillow tonight...
Empire Veteran
# 6
09-22-2012, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeto13 View Post
... Why do I feel like I should sleep with a phaser underneath my pillow tonight...
What's a phaser when you can't see what you're shooting at....

We really really need an evil smiley.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Captain
# 7
09-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Quote:

Good point...

But... Imagine that if someone stabbed a drunken Great House leader in the back in a dark alley on Qo'nos. How much of an outrage would there be over that? Or would it be seen as the House Leader's fault for not being prepared for combat?

And I agree on that smiley.. would totally get used on here.
Captain
# 8
09-22-2012, 04:12 AM
My only guess is that the Klingons using cloaking devices and the Federation not using them are the equivalent if WWII's battles with ships vs submarines. The Cloaking device would be like a submarine going underwater. Both are nearly undetectable while submerged/cloaked. There are minor differences, such as having to decloak to fire any weapons (submarines can fire torpedoes without having to fire, but it could give away its position that way).

Just my two dilithium crystals on the subject.
Career Officer
# 9
09-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:

That's what the wide-beam setting is for.

Why yes, I do go through a lot of plants in my personal quarters, why do you ask?
Commander
# 10
09-22-2012, 07:01 AM
no other races have honor, ergo killing them while cloaked or coming out of cloak is legit. if they feel their opponent is not worthy of a fair fight, they're not going to give them one. they've never felt the federation is worthy as a whole (bunch of peace and love hippies), even though they can respect some individuals within it. romulans aren't even close to what they would consider honorable opponents.

cloaking and killing is how you deal with vermin not worthy of any extra effort or risk.

look at how some groups of human treat other groups if you want parallels in the real world. among their own group respect is a given, when dealing with another group...anything goes.