Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Closed Thread

Starfleet Veteran
hi everyone, dreadnought cruiser pilot or not and devs...

i am opening this news thread on the galaxy dreadnought cruiser to submit to the devs and players somes ideas on how to enhanced the galaxy x to make it on part with the new cstore, lockbox and fleet ship that are out lately and correct some ( i think ) design flaw.

but first, as to cut short any polemic, i will answers one of the first question that some non exprerience player or troll might ask by reading my introduction like:
what?!! why do you think the dreadnought cruiser is not at the level of the other ship of it tiers? he got a lance, more hull than the assault cruiser for example and a cloack, seem perfectly balanced to me! leave it as it is!!

well...no, it is NOT! especially since the news ship that are out there lately ( bug, dkora, regent and fleet ship just to name a fews) that have widen the gap even further.
i will not entering into too much detail about this, because it have been cover already by the best pvper in the game like mavairo and lately ghostyandfrosty in their cruiser thread, but to sum it up the turn rate and inertia is what make this ship miserable, reducing his TOT ( time on target ) to use the expression of ghostyandfrosty, who also reduce is tanking abilitie and it capaciti to fire some narrow arc weapons to the enemy.
that why most of the serious pvper avoid it and that you rarely see one in pvp matches ( i am part of the few dissident that dare do so when i have time in between my grinds )
you might argue that hakaishin claimed on his thread that if your a good pilot and use the galaxy x correctly you can do great things with it.
i will tend to agree, this ship can do great things, sometimes, but if you use haikishin build you will rapidly discovered that it is a relativly narrow type of gameplay.
beside haikishin said that he like the inertia of the ship due to a real life injurie that prevent him from using other more agile ship efficiently.
so it is an indication to me that this ship, considering it apparently design purpose have too much limitations.
on top of that the dreadnought BO layout is clearly outdatted for the purpose of the ship.
because yes, this is a tactical ship, he has tanking capability like any cruiser but it design purpose is to do damage and i don't think hakaishin will contradict me on this point.
having only 1 lt tact slot is really a limitation, even with the current doff system.
the problem is that we don't have the possiblilitie to change the bo layout to make it more tactical like we can do on the dkora, regent or odyssey for example with their universal BO.

so... now the big question, how can we improve it WITHOUT make him OVERPOWERED or ( and that is more likely ) make him took the role of an already existing federation cruiser.
that tricky i think, but i have some suggestion for achieving this.
but depending on how cryptic will resolve the fleet dreadnought version problem ( to clarify, either they succeded to give us a fleet version... or not )
i have 2 " build" to show you what, i think, will improve the ship in the right direction.

so here it is, first the " not a fleet version enhancement"

_first the turn rate and inertia, currently, is at 6 base turn rate and 25 inertia.
NO!.... i will not ask for unrealistic enhancement!!like the same turnrate as the exelsior for example, but just a little would be enought in my opinion.
i want a turn rate in between the actual galaxy x and the assault cruiser, i don't known if the engine of cryptic is capable of that, because it's not make round number ( 6.5 turn rate and 27.5 inertia ).
but i think that all we can realistically ask for a non fleet overhaul and i am also convince that just that will make a great change.

_then the bo layout; that the tricky part, and this is how i think it should be done
remove the lt science spot and transfert him to tactical
in that way we will have 2 lt tact slot, notice that it is not a configuration that already exist in other ship in fed faction as far as i known and that he don't step on exelsior's toes ( lt commander slot )
it is i think more in the design purpose of the ship, meaning more tactical and less tanking
it also open new configuration like more powerfull combos for beam build or, and that the best part, a real canon build with 2 canon fire rapid power ( even if it is just version 1) without special doff that, to the best, never get closed to a real global cooldown reduction time.

_ and last, to continue on the tactical direction, redistribuate the power level
right now the ship as +5 to all subsystem
i propose +10 to weapon
+5 to shield
+5 to engine
0 to aux

so you see, it is i think, a more intelligent redistribution of his power regarding it tactical purpose, and not an "i want more power without paying the price for it".

so i have finish with the simple overhaul of the galaxy x, now let get to an hypothetical fleet version, here it is:

_here, the turnrate will be the same as the " free" assault cruiser, meaning 7 base turn rate and 30 inertia
but to justify that ( even if we are speaking of a fleet version here ) the shield and hull enhancement usually granted to fleet version will be reduced.
for example if, let said, the assault cruiser fleet version have a +3000 shield capacity and +4000 to hull ( number are completely arbitrary ) then the dreadnought fleet version will "only" have +1500 or 1000 to shields and +2000 to hull

_for the bo layout, the same proposal as above
_for the power level same distribution as above too
_and finally a 4th tact console slot

and that concluded my fleet version proposal.

so now i wait for your opinions,the dev ( if they ever read this ) the top pvper, if you have to suggest a realistic improvment to this ship that will change you way of looking at it and not tag it as a noob ship, what would it be?
Captain
# 2
09-22-2012, 11:31 AM
fresh week, fresh galaxy x thread...atleast not always from the same circle of persons.

i wonder if the devs will take it into consideration...probabaly not.

PS: yes for me the week starts on saturday evening...it's part of my religious believe, Pastafarianism. Deal with it!
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 09-22-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-22-2012, 12:23 PM
With the way the system is now, it won't matter much what they do.
Universal will be seen as OP even on the regular Galaxy ships.

Increasing the turn rate to a more realistic 7 or the ideal 8 would have people crying all over the place. Even if in the long run it wouldn't change a whole lot in the way of making it OP.
But perception would be of turning it into an OP ship because it wouldn't be free lunch anymore.

Boosting its system power distribution to your proposed +10 +5 +5 +0 setup wouldn't mean a whole lot to end game. Seeing as most already run a maxed layout anyways.

Increase the angle of which the lance can target, and let it track its targets within that angle.
Or even leave its angle where it is, but again let it track its target for both shots.

Restrict the cap on power levels.
Only allow the large Cruisers to have more than 1 power level at a time above 100.

All sorts of ideas. But the guys running the show don't care unless they can put in the C-Store and make a grundle off of something that should be free considering you already earned/purchased it in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-22-2012, 12:25 PM
They are adding saucer separation to the gal-x, mabye they will change some other things when they do. At the very least separation will improve the turn rate
Lieutenant
# 5
09-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha1369 View Post
They are adding saucer separation to the gal-x, mabye they will change some other things when they do. At the very least separation will improve the turn rate
They said the they will be adding the saucer sep. since february 2012.
Ensign
# 6
09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Even saucer sep wouldn't make the Gal-X useful because of its high price. For $25, there's the Armitage, and the Cat Carrier, which are far better than the current Gal-X. So unless Saucer Sep include a MAJOR boost to trunrate of the stardrive and has the Saucer using its lance or firing its DHC's, most players would rather spend the $25 on the other ships.
Star Trek: Lockbox

Kirk: Scotty, Stuff that 2 million ton D'kora into the Lockbox or else STO fails.
Scotty: I canna change the laws of physics!!!!!!
Kirk: Of course you can you're a miracle worker.
Captain
# 7
09-22-2012, 03:59 PM
As a Gal-X Pilot and enthusiast, I'm okay with the dreadnoughts stats. What I do want though, is a 10th console, and a Lt. Commander Tac slot. (Attack-Pattern-Omega would be Boss!)
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8 Lt commander slot?
09-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Ok centersolace, thank for your answer but, how do you want to implement that?
You don't want a free lt commander slot do you?
For the 10th console slot i am ok, same as my proposal, so we are speaking about a fleet version here.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1nx View Post
Ok centersolace, thank for your answer but, how do you want to implement that?
You don't want a free lt commander slot do you?
For the 10th console slot i am ok, same as my proposal, so we are speaking about a fleet version here.
How about, put in that slot and lt commander slot for... free!
Get rid of the stupid pay 2 win system and let the players actually enjoy playing without the need to empty ones pocketbook.
Captain
# 10
09-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraticus View Post
How about, put in that slot and lt commander slot for... free!
Get rid of the stupid pay 2 win system and let the players actually enjoy playing without the need to empty ones pocketbook.
Yeah, and also give us all ships for free and make it so we can fly ANY ship in the star trek universe. Yeah... sorry bro, not gonna happen.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Closed Thread