Captain
# 1 TNG series Combadge size
09-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Dear devs, after watching TNG again i have noticed that the TNG series combadge in STO is way too big compared to the original.

Comparison: left original TNG series combadge, center STOs TNG series combadge, right TNG movie combadge

These pictures do not resemble the size differnce very well, seeing it in motion makes it more apparent.

I can remember, the TNG movie combadge has been made much smaller, after an update last year.
I wonder why the TNG series combadge hasn't been reduced in size too, was it forgotten?

Live long and prosper.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Career Officer
# 2
09-23-2012, 01:53 PM
The TNG combadge was upgraded as well, I think it's actually bigger than it used to be. (The original was just the 2409 combadge with added stuff in the back )

The scary thing is, during season three (of TNG) they introduced an even smaller 2360's design. So the fact that the current one is larger than the early TNG-badge is a little frustrating.

Also note that they don't like making small objects as they say you can't see them. I also think more polygons become involved as well.

It would be nice however to make the TNG combadge consistent in size at least to the TNG Movie badge.

(P.S. Oh and Cryptic, at least make a variant of TNG pants with division-piping, please.)
Captain
# 3
09-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunkl View Post
The TNG combadge was upgraded as well, I think it's actually bigger than it used to be. (The original was just the 2409 combadge with added stuff in the back )

The scary thing is, during season three (of TNG) they introduced an even smaller 2360's design. So the fact that the current one is larger than the early TNG-badge is a little frustrating.

Also note that they don't like making small objects as they say you can't see them. I also think more polygons become involved as well.

It would be nice however to make the TNG combadge consistent in size at least to the TNG Movie badge.

(P.S. Oh and Cryptic, at least make a variant of TNG pants with division-piping, please.)
So the devs don't like to make small things .... even though it was much more correct than this toy-looking thing... i think i get headache.

The TNG movie Badge is much more consistent, i don't get why the TNG series combadge has to be nearly twice as big as it should be.

Do they hate TNG design THAT much?

Live long and prosper.

Career Officer
# 4
10-05-2012, 10:02 AM
you are aware that the badge SCALES with the size of the body? *pointing at thos HUGE Vulcan shoulders*
Career Officer
# 5
10-05-2012, 10:36 AM
So that is what's wrong? The badge should remain the same size on every character.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Captain
# 6
10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
you are aware that the badge SCALES with the size of the body? *pointing at thos HUGE Vulcan shoulders*
Does it? If so... how do you miss the entire point of a badge!??!?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 7
10-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
Even so, why is the TNG movie badge much smaller then the TNG series badge?

Yeah, i have heard that some dev once said that badges wouldn't be streched with the body, which is just not true.
It could be either incompetence (they just don't see the difference) or just a obvious lie.

No matter, the TNG series badge is much bigger than the TNG movie badge or the TMP badge of instance.
I think the devs just want to make TNG designs as unattractive as possible.

Another example would be the phaser pistols (stun, wide beam). They have the most ugly weapons model in the game, and on top of that they have those really ugly holographic "things" on it. Not only the devs made them as ugly as possible the devs made another phaser pistol model, which looks just like a generic sci fi gun, but not like a starfleet weapon and leaving the "cobra" design to usless weapon types like stun and wide beam that no one wants to use.

My point is the devs seem to want to keep every TNG related design at bay in this game.

To be honest, i don't care about the devs opinion regarding TNG, their job is to make a coherent Star Trek game. But they just do what they find "cool" without even caring about previous designs or making balanced or even good looking designs.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by yreodred; 10-05-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Captain
# 8
10-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Does it? If so... how do you miss the entire point of a badge!??!?
Look this is a effect of morphing the mesh.

Let me try to explain, when you move a slider the mesh morphs, the slider is connected to bones on the mesh that are told to move.

Now what happens when something is static and the mesh moves? it stays but it stays, since its not connected to bones that means it would be at the same height before and after you move the height slider meaning it would be out of position were it should.

This is also why some combadges have problems with female characters, they have no information about the breast bones and so when you "enhance" their chests it eventually clips because the badge does not move as the mesh morphs.

Ways around? a insanely high number of bone assignments and highly detailed mesh but that is not suitable for a MMO environment that require as little stress as possible due to information streaming from and to the servers.
Captain
# 9
10-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Look this is a effect of morphing the mesh.

Let me try to explain, when you move a slider the mesh morphs, the slider is connected to bones on the mesh that are told to move.

Now what happens when something is static and the mesh moves? it stays but it stays, since its not connected to bones that means it would be at the same height before and after you move the height slider meaning it would be out of position were it should.

This is also why some combadges have problems with female characters, they have no information about the breast bones and so when you "enhance" their chests it eventually clips because the badge does not move as the mesh morphs.

Ways around? a insanely high number of bone assignments and highly detailed mesh but that is not suitable for a MMO environment that require as little stress as possible due to information streaming from and to the servers.
Another sollution would be to give combadges just one bone assignment (it wouldn't be streched anymore) and just make sure it stays on the surface (by making it adapt to the chests distance to the back).

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by yreodred; 10-05-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Career Officer
# 10
10-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post

Do they hate TNG design THAT much?

Live long and prosper.
Actually they hate Star Trek... But don't tell anyone.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos