Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Closed Thread

Lieutenant
# 361
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Well, I mean, the Shield Distribution Officer effectively turns your Brace for Impact into a secondary Reverse Shield Polarity, which is quite a lifesaver. What I'm saying is I honestly don't see what's wrong with having duty officers be powerful, I just don't like how this particular doff, the way it is currently, means instant death whenever it goes off.

Nearly all the doffs proc on a skill, this one is different in that it procs whenever you fire. If it were, say, 10% chance to proc whenever you use Rapid Fire or Scatter Volley ...
Commander
# 362
10-05-2012, 04:08 AM
as usual, i am dumbfounded as to why this only has become a concern now.

So it was ok when only a few had it, is that your stance?

All the Cooldown/proc doffs need a very thourough rework.
Career Officer
# 363
10-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsxd View Post

So it was ok when only a few had it, is that your stance?

All the Cooldown/proc doffs need a very thourough rework.
its always been an issue, but now that there are more out there on the market the issue has become that more pronounced and noticeable.
Rihannsu
# 364
10-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsxd View Post
[...].
Easy. As with much that is considered "OP" by some very loud PvPers, it is a matter of fashion. It is fashionable to see this or that as OP this week or month. Wait three months, and something else will be seen as OP.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Career Officer
# 365
10-05-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Easy. As with much that is considered "OP" by some very loud PvPers, it is a matter of fashion. It is fashionable to see this or that as OP this week or month. Wait three months, and something else will be seen as OP.
thats not the case at all, if you wait three months (at cryptics current overpowered release schedule) there will be a lot more broken/overpowered stuff to worry about.
Career Officer
# 366
10-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Back in the day they were too expensive for most of us to buy, so we couldn't really test them, though some, like Hilbert, still had their doubts.

This is also an item that becomes exponentially more powerful and problematic the more of them you have on a team. Until recently you had at the very most a handful of SNB doffs in a match, and even that was rare. The problems with the SNB doff become more obvious the more of them there are in circulation.
Lt. Commander
# 367
10-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Quote:
In three months cryptic will have added more abilities and old ones will have been changed or have stayed the same. In short, mmos always have something considered OP because people play different class' with different skill sets and play styles.

Quote:
"OP" by some very loud PvPers
I hope its loud, because that way it might make into your extremely dense skull that most posters on the pvp forum (especially the "loud" ones.) don't have some kind of personal agenda or post because they want to fit in, but do so, in the hope of making the game better for everyone.

Your Ramming Speed III deals 52098 (99235) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Remus.
Rihannsu
# 368
10-05-2012, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirrahe View Post
In three months cryptic will have added more abilities and old ones will have been changed or have stayed the same. In short, mmos always have something considered OP because people play different class' with different skill sets and play styles.
I agree. One has to keep in mind, though, that "the PvP community" leans to a certain subset of possible builds and styles, and not all of that is due to those being the most "optimal". Some of it is fashion.

Quote:
I hope its loud, because that way it might make into your extremely dense skull that most posters on the pvp forum (especially the "loud" ones.) don't have some kind of personal agenda or post because they want to fit in, but do so, in the hope of making the game better for everyone.
Why are you being rude? Having a bad day?

I don't doubt that people like Fakehilbert or Husanak post because they genuinely believe changing the game in the ways they propose will improve the experience for everyone. (I am not so sure about a few others, though.)

I just doubt that anyone is more capable to do so than the people who have access to the game code and player statistics. Unfortunately, the devs seem to have lost a bit of self-esteem lately.

Listening and talking to the playerbase is a great thing. Doing many things that a small self-proclaimed elite wants is not. There are lots and lots of people who disagree with "the PvPers" in this subforum on many things, they are just not as loud-mouthed or are alienated by the very harsh tone down here and thus wouldn't bother to post here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Lt. Commander
# 369
10-05-2012, 05:04 AM
Quote:
I agree. One has to keep in mind, though, that "the PvP community" leans to a certain subset of possible builds and styles, and not all of that is due to those being the most "optimal". Some of it is fashion.

Why are you being rude? Having a bad day?

I don't doubt that people like Fakehilbert or Husanak post because they genuinely believe changing the game in the ways they propose will improve the experience for everyone. (I am not so sure about a few others, though.)

I just doubt that anyone is more capable to do so than the people who have access to the game code and player statistics. Unfortunately, the devs seem to have lost a bit of self-esteem lately.
I'm always having a bad day when someone makes generalisations about a community that, at heart, is trying to help the progress of the game. Also what you may perceive as rude, I might as being honest.

You assume developers will be more capable than players, and while that will be true much of the time, devs have said in interviews and posts that players often find combinations that they did not think of.

Also balance takes a mindset, some devs might not have that "ultimate balance" in mind when designing abilities, indeed gecko, in a state of game post or some such, argued that abilities can be "a little op" which I don't agree with, as it becomes too much of a slippery slope, "well that's a little op, Ill make this one a little op too" and what my be my "little op" might be someone else's, extremely imbalanced.

Quote:
Listening and talking to the playerbase is a great thing. Doing many things that a small self-proclaimed elite wants is not. There are lots and lots of people who disagree with "the PvPers" in this subforum on many things, they are just not as loud-mouthed or are alienated by the very harsh tone down here and thus wouldn't bother to post here.
For perspectives sake, I've seen far worse forums on many different games where the tone is harsher, you need a thick skin with all the trolling, flaming and ill-informed "facts" on the internet, but I do appreciate the recent dev communication to do with balance.

Your Ramming Speed III deals 52098 (99235) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Remus.
Commander
# 370
10-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Don't mind Sophiie. He likes to say inflammatory things like that to draw as much attention to himself as possible. Apparently calling the majority of this community "loud" and only concerned for our "fashionable" builds more than the balance of this game wasn't rude to start with. This is a guy who thinks that snb doffs are fine the way they are wiping all buffs on a target every 8secs, so I really wouldn't be too worried about what he has to say. Anyone who thinks that this is balanced doesnt quite get it.

Im starting to believe that Sophie is a secret dev account created to lash back at us...lol. His constant comments about how the devs know better than us and we should just trust them seems kind of fishy...
Closed Thread