Captain
# 11
09-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsey5g View Post
I do not agree with the Odyssey being more flexible as I feel a Lt. Cmdr tactical a must most of the time leaving the Regent to have the universal slots on anything you like. Plus the extra turn rate opens up more builds then like dual beams which are hard to use on the Ody.
I must respectfully disagree.

The reasons for this are twofold:

1. The basic hulls themselves are different and optimized for different potential roles. Which means you have three variations of the ship to choose from - either at purchase time, or at will if you buy the pack.

2. The two universal slots leave a LOT of room to give it powers that allow it to perform in a variety of roles. While an Ody with an AC BOff configuration may, for instance, not pack that much of a punch, it will make a pretty good battle-tank. This is especially so if you were to put that on the Science Odyssey and cram the slots full of armor and field generators.

Also, with the versatility of the Work Bees ("extra hull," in a sense) and the ability to change the fundamental handling characteristics with saucer separation, you get quite a bit of flexibility in what you can actually do with the extras.

Both of these elements, to me, mean that the ship is able to take on roles that the Regent would be hard-pressed to do. The Regent is an excellent DPS/tank and would be good for either role (albeit optimized for the hybrid); however, the Odyssey can take on other roles if the commander so chooses. As my playstyle lends towards DPS/tank, as do that of many cruiser commanders, though, this is not seen all THAT often, nevertheless the option does exist; the Odyssey's price point, and its promotion as the "new" Enterprise, is positioned to make it the "cruiser for all seasons."
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
wow thanks all for all the information you have given me. When it comes to mixing the other AC's ship parts to the regent, do they fit well?

I not sure though, I still want to buy this ship but for the price they are asking for its a bit high, what would you players add to make it worth the price, or should they just lower the price?

Also has there been any would on the Fleet AC yet?
-shrug- I think it's kind of worth the price right now, that 180 degree torpedo has been needed for FED cruisers since launch.

There are many,many things I'd have liked to have seen different. Both lt. slots being universal; a higher shield mod; the gas power being more like Eject warp plasma 2; a better turn radius; an extra tac console. Any of those things would have seriously sweetened the pot in my eyes. The extra Tac console or turn bonus would have been hands down the best things to make this ship the best tactical cruiser Fed's have.
Captain
# 13
09-24-2012, 12:34 PM
okay how will the regent compare to the standard Odyssey Class that was given away for free a while back during its launch?
Captain
# 14
09-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
okay how will the regent compare to the standard Odyssey Class that was given away for free a while back during its launch?
imho, the free oddy is better (if you do not count the torpedo and the console that come with the regent) for tanking and for damage.
the one less tactical console, and less weapon power are 2 downsides to the oddy. The turnrate and inertia is not really important.
i don't really know what to do with the ltd engineering actually. the ltd tactical is way easier to fill and having a ltdcmdr tactical gives it a good punch, not awesome but still top among cruisers.
For tanking the commander engi is sufficent anyway. and i would not have a ship without a ltd science. there is always a need for TSS and HE no matter what you do.

i usually also use a TBR1 or a TB on the oddy starcruiser.

if the fleet assault cruiser has the same BOFF layout as the vor'cha i'm gonna get it, if it has the regent boff layout. i'm sticking to the oddy starcruiser.
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 15
09-24-2012, 03:53 PM
I missed that the Anniversary Odyssey was asked about (thanks to baudl for answering that).

Long story short is that the Anniversary Odyssey is basically a more Star Cruisery Star Cruiser. It even says so in the name. It's more bloated and slow, but just about everything else about it is identical. In fact the power advantages it has make it a good bit better at the fundamental support tank role built into the Star Cruiser. If you can live without the agility it is definitely superior due to the flexibility of the Lt. Cmdr slot and the power advantages (+10 shield and +10 aux, IIRC).

However, that does not compare it to the Regent. The Regent, as a DPS/tank hybrid, is much better in terms of actually causing the opponent raw pain. It is also nowhere near as bloated as any version of the Odyssey that isn't separated, and this is very obvious in its handling characteristics. Note that the Odyssey's turn rate is NOT necessarily the killer, it's the combination of inferior turn rate and inferior inertia that make it hard to handle. (Note the Galaxy isn't nearly so bad - it has an inertia rating of 25, whereas the Odyssey has inertia of 20).

The Free Odyssey has some tactical options available to it, however. For instance, with the Lt. Cmdr slot filled with a tac, you can turn it into an EXTREMELY SLOW cannon boat. I have seen this done and if you bother to take the time to work out how this works it can actually be pretty deadly, although that build is definitely NOT for everyone.

So in very, very short, the Free Odyssey is essentially meant for different things with slightly more flexibility built into a particular aspect of the build. Specifically I would say that it is a ship that leans very strongly towards support/tank with somewhat limited mobility patterned after the Star Cruiser and with optimizations for the role. The Regent, on the other hand, is a more maneuverable ship meant more for flat-out and direct fighting in a DPS/tank role.

In general, the Regent would be better for tactical officers, the Free Odyssey is better for science officers, and an engineer could go with either, depending on what their desired role is. That said, I'm a believer in the thought that there are no bad ships, just bad captains, so I think every career can make a decent build from these ships, but these are the leanings of each IMO.

As a final note, it is worth mentioning that the capabilities of the Free Odyssey are very much a subset of those available on the Science Odyssey.
Captain
# 16
09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
imho, the free oddy is better (if you do not count the torpedo and the console that come with the regent) for tanking and for damage.
the one less tactical console, and less weapon power are 2 downsides to the oddy. The turnrate and inertia is not really important.
i don't really know what to do with the ltd engineering actually. the ltd tactical is way easier to fill and having a ltdcmdr tactical gives it a good punch, not awesome but still top among cruisers.
For tanking the commander engi is sufficent anyway. and i would not have a ship without a ltd science. there is always a need for TSS and HE no matter what you do.

i usually also use a TBR1 or a TB on the oddy starcruiser.

if the fleet assault cruiser has the same BOFF layout as the vor'cha i'm gonna get it, if it has the regent boff layout. i'm sticking to the oddy starcruiser.
With an engineer in the slot, you get a few options.

First of all it mimics the Star Cruiser/Assault Cruiser layout for the most part (directly with the Star Cruiser), which likely made the ship a bit more familiar to a lot of people, including the tons of newly-minted VAs stumbling into the ship (as this was near the beginning of F2P).

Second you have a more viable Dragon Build in some ways. EPtS3 does, IMO, have a noteworthy boost to survivability; although I rotate EPtS2/3 on some ships, it just plain feels sturdier.

Third you also have an option to rotate two copies of EPtW and EPtS, which is flat out unviable without two engineers.

Fourth you have engineer-based support powers. While it is arguable that Science may have an advantage here in some ways (e.g. Science Team and Transfer Shield Strength), engineers have stronger hull heals and the often-praised Extend Shields power, plus if someone is dying for something like Eject Warp Plasma, this makes it easier to slot in without losing the super-critical EPtS rotation and leaving the Cmdr slot free for something like Aux2SIF.
Captain
# 17
09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
i run the starcruiser with an engi captain and with cannons. tactical ltd cmdr, since tanking and standing the ground in PVP as an engi comes easy anyway.
the possibility of 2 tac teams gives you so much more surviveability than 2 EPtS, it's unbelievable actually.
the rest you need for tanking:AUXtoSIF, RSP, EPtSx2 all have place within the commander slot.
movement is not an issue in PVE, i actually park infront of an elite tac cube...srsly he can't penetrate the shields if tac teams are rotating. and if he actually penetrates the shields, 2 hull heals are waiting.

i actually can't wait to get my hands on a oddy tac cruiser, because that baby is actually a step up from what the starcruiser oddy is.
I'm still hoping for the fleet assault cruiser to be like the vorcha, thats why i haven't bought it yet. I actually hate the oddy design but love it's boff layout.
Go pro or go home
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
You are talking about the prototype Odyssey, right? The Starcruiser is the standard non C-Store Sci oriented cruiser and has no Lt Cmr tac station.
Captain
# 19
09-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
You are talking about the prototype Odyssey, right? The Starcruiser is the standard non C-Store Sci oriented cruiser and has no Lt Cmr tac station.
yeah the prototype oddy is called oddysey starcruiser. available "now" at a t5 fleet shipyard
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 20
09-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Hands down the oddessy 3 pack is a better
Deal for your money

The saucer seperation module I'n the tatical model
Is the best setup I'n my opinion.
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse