Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
09-24-2012, 04:46 AM
No, you don't. You definitely don't want chaos happening to you. You want to cause chaos to others. This is entirely reasonable and consistent: While net entropy must always increase, local entropy, I.E., yours, can be decreased...by causing net entropy, the parts belonging to someone ELSE, to increase even MORE.

This, of course, brings us to the golden rules:
1. Do unto others before they do unto you.
2. Always pillage BEFORE you burn.
Empire Veteran
# 12
09-24-2012, 05:14 AM
I have always found Ker'rat full of players willing to fight my non-gimmick Somraw, regardless of what time I logged on to play.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
09-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Who wanna play PvP must accept two fundamental truths to avoid getting angry and stop for ever!
There are out there very strong players who play PvP for over two years, they've found the perfect combination of build, ship, components, weapons, abilities, doffs, keybinds, teamplay.
They are really umbeatable and the average player can not do anything but kneel and instead try to improve himself as quickly as possible.
And the evil Klinguns due to the characteristics of their ships instil fear to the Feds.
There will be always broken abilities in this game because the Devs are focused on PvE and when the core code is modified without taking account of the balance absolutely needed in PvP, then disasters happen.
K D F - Killing Disadvantaged Feds
K D F - The evul way to play Sto

Adm. Marcus orders: Punish the evul Klinguns! Punish the evul HOBOs! And nuclearize Qo'nos once and for all!
Career Officer
# 14
09-24-2012, 06:38 AM
PvP is not dead yet, but if they don't sort the Sub Nuc DOFF it soon will be!

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Rihannsu
# 15
09-24-2012, 07:20 AM
I played PVP and it was fun and I love the people I faced, but lets face it tell they give this type of reward most wont play it.

Rewards.
decent amount of dil(I think 4000 if its a 15 match)-I can farm more dil on stfs even then.
sell-able rewards.
or just ec ingenral

PVP just needs to be better with a leaderboard and a matchmaking system.
ps sorrry for spelling got work pretty soon and just catching up.
-Spells

|| Open Door Policy ||
| Dues Ex Mechina |
Fleet Leader

Captain
# 16
09-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srspells View Post
I played PVP and it was fun and I love the people I faced, but lets face it tell they give this type of reward most wont play it.

Rewards.
decent amount of dil(I think 4000 if its a 15 match)-I can farm more dil on stfs even then.
sell-able rewards.
or just ec ingenral

PVP just needs to be better with a leaderboard and a matchmaking system.
ps sorrry for spelling got work pretty soon and just catching up.
-Spells
Well, we get those kinds of rewards to a limited extent, but they could certainly expand on 'em. There's missions in the KDF to 'kill Federation playerships/Fed captains on ground', 'kill KDF playerships/KDF captains on ground', a Ker'rat completion mission, and a 'kill Borg ships' mission that can also be completed in Ker'rat. The problem is, they're dailies. I usually do the Fed playership, Ker'rat completion, and Borg ships one, so that nets me 1.5k dil. I can make more than that in an hour by doing two elite STFs.

So, I agree. . .rewards need major expansion, in order to give people an incentive to spend more time PvPing, and to get better at it.
Rihannsu
# 17
09-24-2012, 09:35 AM
thats what I mean theres no real reward besides beating people in pvp, they need new rewards and new maps, also a leaderboard and matchmaking system would be nice.

but ya if u farm CSE u can do so much dil farming also contraband helps that, I want big rewards for pvp.(as it can take longer and also is more imersive)
-Spells

|| Open Door Policy ||
| Dues Ex Mechina |
Fleet Leader

Lt. Commander
# 18
09-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwrathforever View Post
There are out there very strong players who play PvP for over two years, they've found the perfect combination of build, ship, components, weapons, abilities, doffs, keybinds, teamplay.
They are really umbeatable and the average player can not do anything but kneel and instead try to improve himself as quickly as possible.
Ayup. I saw a guy who had apparently gone to great lengths to optimize his build for the level 30s, he was murdering everything in Kerrat and no one could touch him. Mostly, I was impressed that someone would go to such lengths for an ephemeral level that you leave behind in a matter of a few hours.

The other thing is that the people you mentioned exist. What this tells the rest of us is that it's purposeless to bother until you've finished gathering all those items. I don't see this as wrong, but I'm essentially part of the PvP lurker population until I've acquired the stuff it takes to actually win it. Don't get me wrong: I love PvP, but knowing what the entry barrier is in stuff, I know it's going to be a long, long time before I'll have the equipment needed to participate. I'm okay with that. Things come to those who wait.
Captain
# 19
09-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't think it's dead. It's just not as popular as PvE. And honestly, the extremely casual-friendly design of PvE is what hurts PvP. I am fairly new to STO and even newer to PvP, but when I first started PvP I got my ass handed to me, very quickly, over and over. At this point, I was pretty much a PvE master (I know, tough, right?) using an atrocious build. PvE doesn't dissuade you from using horrible builds for the entirety of the game, even for STFs. I am a fairly competitive RTS player, so instead of throwing my hands up in frustration and calling people that killed me in 2 seconds a cheater, I made it my goal to learn how to play this game properly. Unfortunately, the majority of people do not have the desire to do this. They'd rather think they have everything figured out since they can get the Optional on a STF.

Nowadays, I love playing PvP more than anything else in STO, although it does suck when it's a one-sided stomp-fest. The only thing that could fix this would be a ladder/match-making system like they have in RTS games, but the problem is that not enough people queue up at any given time. Essentially, this is not a viable option until the queues are constantly populated. I will tell you this though, a good, balanced PvP match is the by far the best aspect of this game. It is actually quite reminiscent of a good RTS PvP in that you have to execute perfectly and be able to out-think and out-predict your opponent.

Last edited by skurf; 09-24-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Lieutenant
# 20
09-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
dead huh? i played a ton of good matches today. some were boring pub stomps, others were with skilled groups of guys. pvp is not dead, L2P. if more then about 5% of sto's player base would just L2P, pvp would be a huge part of the game, even as imperfect as it is.
In denial much? Your statements are littered with it like pollution.