Ensign
# 1 Xbox 360 Version?
09-24-2012, 01:47 PM
It suddenly occurred to me, why not? One reply may be "The 360 controller wouldn't have enough buttons to control it." A fair point. Here's my counter-point: Kinect/Voice-Controls. Think about how awesome that could be! The controller could still be used for movement, but the voice commands would be used to activate abilities. Yelling out things like "Phaser Volley" or "Brace for Impact" to use those abilities? I'm the only one who thinks this would be awesome?
Captain
# 2
09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therogueknight View Post
It suddenly occurred to me, why not? One reply may be "The 360 controller wouldn't have enough buttons to control it." A fair point. Here's my counter-point: Kinect/Voice-Controls. Think about how awesome that could be! The controller could still be used for movement, but the voice commands would be used to activate abilities. Yelling out things like "Phaser Volley" or "Brace for Impact" to use those abilities? I'm the only one who thinks this would be awesome?
Pretty sure that will never happen. At one point, early on (maybe even during Beta), there was talk about porting it. But, given the size of the dev team- and the stuff that has been talked about, but never done- I would say the chances of that happening are slim to none.

On the other hand, if I understand it correctly, Windows 8 supports touch and-eventually- voice and gesture commands through the next version of Kinect.

If the dev team can incorporate voice commands that would be cool.
Community Moderator
# 3
09-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Controls aren't the issue. At one point the Xbox 360 port was far enough along that it was playable (internally only, it never reached the point of external testing).

The problem was entirely a dispute between Microsoft and then-owner Atari regarding monetization. They couldn't agree on a way for Atari to make money at it without taking a massive loss over the PC version.

As for PWE, who owns Cryptic now; I don't know if they're pursuing the idea further, although Cryptic no longer has any job openings for console programmers.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lieutenant
# 4
09-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therogueknight View Post

Well it's possible, I actually question them at launch about this, they were interested but not really sure if will happen in the future but not anytime soon.
Career Officer
# 5
09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Controls aren't the issue. At one point the Xbox 360 port was far enough along that it was playable (internally only, it never reached the point of external testing).

The problem was entirely a dispute between Microsoft and then-owner Atari regarding monetization. They couldn't agree on a way for Atari to make money at it without taking a massive loss over the PC version.

As for PWE, who owns Cryptic now; I don't know if they're pursuing the idea further, although Cryptic no longer has any job openings for console programmers.
how dare you come in and post obvious truthful drivel about such things...

i much prefer the outlandish and intriguing stories of others...

be gone.
was sir_james_of_cadiz on cryptics forums...did not get to keep the name

Ensign
# 6
09-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post

Such a shame. I was hoping it was something else, since I had my sneaking suspicion that it was something to do with Microsoft. It seems that Microsoft has no idea how to do MMO's properly. They should have just made it where it's $60 for the game itself, and when players buy it they have the same restrictions placed on them as if they were F2P. If players wished, they could buy different subscriptions. Same as the PC version. Seems to me that they'd make more money then the PC version, since it's free to download the game on the PC.

But, if I am reading these replies correctly, it seems that people aren't opposed to the idea.
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-26-2012, 01:56 AM
The game is going down hill, lock boxes are really our own new content future, I can't see them converting the game to a console. There wouldn't be enough money or enough ways to exploit customers on the console platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 8
09-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepcalmchiveon View Post
how dare you come in and post obvious truthful drivel about such things...

i much prefer the outlandish and intriguing stories of others...

be gone.

Okay then. It was ghosts. they found out that the Xbox version was haunted and they had no way to expunge the ghosts so they shelved it until the Ghostbusters were real.