Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Closed Thread

Captain
# 261
10-19-2012, 05:28 AM
I kept a bit of statistics as well on my lockboxes. Haven't opened too many of them yet ( working on my Ferengi lockboxes again after receiving the Wells) but I've also recorded average Lobi distribution.

Total Temporal Lockboxes: 67

Doff Mini-Pack: 14
Gamma Doffs: 13
Temporal Beacon: 9
100 Fleet Mark: 8
5.000 Fleet Credit: 8
Polarized Disruptor: 7
Temporal Duty Officer (Fed): 4
Mirror Recon Science Vessel: 3
Temporal Science Vessel: 1

4 Lobi: 41
5 Lobi: 19
7 Lobi: 05
15 Lobi: 02

= 324 Lobi in total at an average of ~4.8 per box. That number has been consistent with those recieved from Tholian as well as post-patch Ferengi and Cardassian boxes.
Starfleet Veteran
First of all, this is STO Wiki's unofficial analysis of the current lockbox odds (your odds may vary).

It is intresting to see how much Cryptic/PWE is relying on the profit margin for the lockbox. This probably shows why it will pay off on getting a small number of players to fork over a large amount of cash over time than making the ships more accessible via the Z-store. Of course, there is also the need to make them rare among the population.

http://www.stowiki.org/Temporal_Lock_Box
Lieutenant
# 263
10-19-2012, 10:54 AM
My major issue is the Lobi Store- Good idea but horrible.

Anything in the Lobi Store should also be in a lock box, if you fork out $150 and had no luck at all you have a plan B. Also with the last set with the Temporal...Mobius and the set's..it was a bit of a slap in the face the amount of Lobi required to buy all of them, when adding them in the lockboxes would have offered a great more deal of variety and honestly incentive to open them. Instead of looking for ONE thing I would have been compelled to open more in hopes of getting the other items.
Lt. Commander
# 264
10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Sorry for asking this, but what's the point of this thread?
Boxes rant? That's not needed as it's be yet another such thread.

Name me one player who is regged here on the forum and who thinks that the whole lockbox thing is not scandalous. In some cases it feels like a common con job. A fraud. You pay the money, open the box and receive an utter crap. And if unlucky it happens also with 100th box you open.

The whole problem is that if this is Star Trek game, what are those boxes doing in it? Shouldn't the whole thing go to court as there are no such boxes in Star Trek?
Starfleet Veteran
# 265
10-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxertm2 View Post
Sorry for asking this, but what's the point of this thread?
Boxes rant? That's not needed as it's be yet another such thread.

Name me one player who is regged here on the forum and who thinks that the whole lockbox thing is not scandalous. In some cases it feels like a common con job. A fraud. You pay the money, open the box and receive an utter crap. And if unlucky it happens also with 100th box you open.

The whole problem is that if this is Star Trek game, what are those boxes doing in it? Shouldn't the whole thing go to court as there are no such boxes in Star Trek?

No one is making anyone buy keys and open the lockboxes.
Only the little goblin in the head that's going 'I want that I want that I want that' over and over. :|

Right-click. Discard (all). Play Star Trek content. The lockboxes are far less invasive now than they used to be and can be pretty much ignored. And if the probability of winning bothers you, just don't bother, savvy?

When Elite STFs were revamped, the complained about the random tech drop lottery came hard and fast. I should know, I was one of them complaining to my WoW friends about it and asking if WoW had any conventions that were the same. They still come to this day, but they're far fewer and mostly from either newbies to Elites or cynical diehards too inured to biting the hand that feeds them.

Lockboxes are similar: an optional game system with nonessential items artificially inflated in importance by marketing, and the little goblin in the head reacts. I find it insanely appropriate that the harbingers of the Lobi store are Ferengi, practitioners of selling up nonessential merchandise for centuries. At least the lockbox system has the benefit of actually providing some revenue for a game that offers itself for free but is not sustained for free.

All this to say..I'm regged. I don't think it's scandalous. I think it's a lottery like any other scratch-ticket lotto sold in convenience stores for the past few decades. My friend, a fraud would be if the rewards advertized were not in the loot table to begin with. You involve yourself if you wish and take your chances. And if you just want a specific box drop but don't want to fight the odds, earn the funds to buy them off the Exchange. Or open the boxes for the lobi for that "must have".

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Career Officer
# 266
10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks! I find this sort of thing to be pretty interesting, even if I stink with probabilities, statistics, etc. Granted, I'm a fan of the "sausage factory" (ie, the business side), so this is very cool.

The lockboxes seem to be one of STO's definite "whale" items. I am glad they've got the Lobi Store, definitely, since I can use my stipend and Dilithium earnings to work towards gear, which I find to be a far, far more reasonable goal than shooting for the current top ship.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 267
10-19-2012, 02:09 PM
What's the sample size?

I'm willing to wager the ship is 0.5% like the other ships.

It's a standard in PWE games. It's likely just that you need a bigger sample size to see it. But the numbers look roughly right. I don't know what there is to out although having it on one table is handy.
Career Officer
# 268
10-25-2012, 04:34 PM
A running tally of my opened lock boxes, Updated upon opening so far only opened 116 but I've still got another 303 boxes in my Account Bank, this should be fun. Honestly the only thing I really want is the 29th Century Uniform pack, which is yet to be released with not solid ETA.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10040808000&dateline=  1340247645
Come join the 44th Fleet.
startrek.44thfleet.com
Career Officer
# 269
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allysnowleopard View Post
A running tally of my opened lock boxes, Updated upon opening so far only opened 116 but I've still got another 303 boxes in my Account Bank, this should be fun. Honestly the only thing I really want is the 29th Century Uniform pack, which is yet to be released with not solid ETA.
I'm wondering where that got to also. I am still hoping they change their mind and make it a C-Store purchase that is an account-wide unlock.
Career Officer
# 270
10-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsww View Post
I'm wondering where that got to also. I am still hoping they change their mind and make it a C-Store purchase that is an account-wide unlock.
My thread has become the de facto thread for updates on the 29th century uniforms, by the looks of it. it can be found HERE and yes, even know I've spent nearly $100 on keys so far, ( and might just spend another $75 ) to get lobi to get the uniform packs, if they put it in the C-Store I'd be willing to throw even more money at them. Note my sig, think I've been waiting for this pack much?
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10040808000&dateline=  1340247645
Come join the 44th Fleet.
startrek.44thfleet.com

Last edited by allysnowleopard; 10-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Closed Thread