Career Officer
# 11
09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
My only peeves were the lens flare and that hideous Constitution.

Everything else wasn't all that annoying. Perhaps stupid, in the case of the plot, but ultimately entertaining.
Captain
# 12
09-25-2012, 11:16 AM
After over an year and a half after the film was made I finally felt lucky, took my wife to the video store and we rent this piece of... film. After the credit roll, I opened my DVD player, spit on the DVD, threw it to the ground and stomped on it. Afte that, I cleaned it, made sure it was okay and brought it back. We never talk about it. Ever.

Seriously, the LOOKS of this piece of targ dung weren't it's biggest flaws. It was everything else and I mean literally everything. Even Leonard Nimoy depressed me in this...
• -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- • -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <- •
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
I have two, but the one main, over-riding, makes the freaking movie almost unwatchable:

LENS FLARE!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, I could barely tell what was going on the bridge of the Kelvin for the most part. I really wanted to put some mini-blinds or something on the viewscreen/window.
Believe me, you are not the only one, the first time I watched the movie, I was like: Did I just watched the new Star Trek movie, or a documentary about the sun?

Also: This

(Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
09-25-2012, 11:38 AM
While I have my own dislikes over the new Star Trek...storyline for one...

Back to the original questions

1. Multiple Warp Cores
There are several instances of 24th century vessels using multiple warp cores
(ie: Soverign Class has two) and many people have already pointed out the fact of power usage needing multiple cores just as a modern reactor core does. And if you think about some vessels must have more than one because every section of the MVAM Prometheus is warp capable. Also the "warp core" has been displayed on screen as several different things...in ST: Insurrection for example it is displayed as only being the dilithium chamber and Matter/Antimatter connectors on either side of it. So it could be concieved that in the Abrams Star Trek they were ejecting their version of each of those.

2. Wormhole Effect
Go Watch Star Trek the Motion Picture or Star Trek II. When the enterprise first begins the acceleration to warp drive the ship drops into subspace via a rainbow colored wormhole...or at least that is how one warp theorist explained it to me

3.The Set
Yes it was cheap...and somehow they made it look okay...when I first saw it I said..."I've seen this before"...and low and behold...go watch Star Trek The Motion Picture. When Kirk first comes aboard they show the "shuttle area" which looks like the interior of a water plant.
Admiral Jisil T'ror
“Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
Career Officer
# 15
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goedzooi View Post
Believe me, you are not the only one, the first time I watched the movie, I was like: Did I just watched the new Star Trek movie, or a documentary about the sun?

Also: This
Ha, I hadn't seen that video yet. Very accurate. I had read where JJ admitted he "might have gone overboard" on the lens flare. Of course, I never would have known what lens flare was if JJ hadn't gone so overboard with it.

Not particularly ST related, but still funny and on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHqjmlM3kxs
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
09-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Kirk is chekovs age
Kirk is a "rule breaking , james dean "
Kirk is a RACIST

Spock is suddenly higher ranked than everyone else
Spock is apparently a pervert (Uhura)
Spock seems to be trading favours with women

Chekov is clearly NOT russian
Chekov and sulu are incompetent

Sulu is depicted as a sociopathic sword wielding JEDI

Uhura is a tart

Scotty is depicted as incompetent
There is an escape death star alien in scotties work area

They messed up EVERYTHING in the time line
Commander
# 17
09-25-2012, 12:00 PM
My peeve:

It was allowed to exist.
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
Ensign
# 18
09-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Spock... the old one.

Before I get virtually flayed for that sentence, understand that Spock is probably the most layered and sympathetic character of the entire franchise, but had no reason to be in the movie. Nimoy's presence served no purpose other than to get treknerds to wank. It took me right out of the story when he was introduced.

The constant incestuous insertion of popular characters from previous series destroys creativity and stifles the ability of new ideas to take root. It's tiresome, it's a dead horse Paramount/whomever can kick and be sure to get a few bucks from.

Uhura... of all the secondary TOS characters she probably had the most potential to be expanded upon. I found her instead to be annoying, not to mention shallow. A shame
given she's the only female from the original cast they chose to give screen time.

My peeves were primarily with story and character elements itself, not so much the aesthetics of the movie. They could have just made a NEW STAR TREK movie with a neat story about the original characters. Period. Instead, they gave us a story to JUSTIFY why there is a new STAR TREK movie with the original characters...it was sad.
Lieutenant
# 19
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
1. Lens flare. Seriously, who didn't hate it?

2. The Enterprise as the flagship. The Enterprise-D was the first Enterprise to hold that honour, and the reason why was because of its illustrious linage. I suppose overall it doesn't bother me too much, except for when combined with this next part.

3. They crew the entire flagship with people not out, or barely out of the academy. I'm sure that the Federation can't possibly be that hard up for staff that they almost exclusively stick people with no actual service experience onto their top ship. Who would serious do that?

4. Some of the characterisations. I've absolutely no problem with Sulu having and being competent with a sword, but otherwise I've got to agree with much of what Sollvax said.
Captain
# 20
09-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovakofvulcan View Post
While I have my own dislikes over the new Star Trek...storyline for one...

Back to the original questions

1. Multiple Warp Cores
There are several instances of 24th century vessels using multiple warp cores
(ie: Soverign Class has two) and many people have already pointed out the fact of power usage needing multiple cores just as a modern reactor core does. And if you think about some vessels must have more than one because every section of the MVAM Prometheus is warp capable. Also the "warp core" has been displayed on screen as several different things...in ST: Insurrection for example it is displayed as only being the dilithium chamber and Matter/Antimatter connectors on either side of it. So it could be concieved that in the Abrams Star Trek they were ejecting their version of each of those.

2. Wormhole Effect
Go Watch Star Trek the Motion Picture or Star Trek II. When the enterprise first begins the acceleration to warp drive the ship drops into subspace via a rainbow colored wormhole...or at least that is how one warp theorist explained it to me

3.The Set
Yes it was cheap...and somehow they made it look okay...when I first saw it I said..."I've seen this before"...and low and behold...go watch Star Trek The Motion Picture. When Kirk first comes aboard they show the "shuttle area" which looks like the interior of a water plant.
The only ship that I know has multiple warp cores other the Enterprise 09 is the Prometheus Class, canon. The Sovereign class has only one warp core where did you get two from?

My Peeve with st09 is the lens flare and the giant nacelles or why! also apparently the Enterprise from st 09 is bigger and longer than a galaxy and sovereign class! When the galaxy in prime-verse is the biggest ship while the Sovereign Class is the longest ship in the federation fleet.