Lieutenant
# 1 An idea (Fleet vs Fleet pvp)
09-26-2012, 08:08 AM
I was just thinking, there might be a way to fix a lot of problems in one go.

Fleet vs Fleet PvP! Ever played the game Guild Wars (the first one)? There was Guild-vs-Guild combat, and it was FUN! Why not the same thing in STO? Fleet vs Fleet pvp, and there could be a leaderboard!

This can solve the following problems:

Premades in Arenas - most premades are looking to fight other premades. Most premades are fleeted teams. They'd probably flock to Fleet vs Fleet and PuGing becomes fun again.

PvP doesn't help you build your starbase - Fleet vs Fleet PvP makes perfect sense to give fleet marks. I mean think about it! Your fleet's fighting to prevent another fleet from grabbing your resources, I think it speaks for itself why that should reward fleet marks. Now PvPers aren't forced to PvE for marks.

Fleets (especially PvP fleets) are dying - this would revitalize them.

Starbase is not used in PvP - it would also make perfect sense if a Fleet vs Fleet action would take place at your starbase! It would also provide incentives to upgrade your starbase. Maybe having better shipyards means better NPCs that can warp in, or something like that!

If they wanna copy Guild Wars all the way, they can even have a spectator mode where people can watch replays of FvF that made it to the top 100 on the leaderboard. Watch Pandas vs Critz! Time-delayed, of course, so that they can't use spectator mode to vent cheat .

Fed vs Fed Fleet matches could be in-game justified as more "war games", except on a fleet level. Fed vs Klingon doesn't need justification. Klingon vs Klingon could be "skirmish between 2 great houses about resources", or something like that.

Last edited by ertihan; 09-26-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-26-2012, 09:05 AM
It sounds like a good idea. The problem is that there are very few PVP fleets. Although maybe with something like this more fleets might PVP together. I'd be happy if they did ANYTHING for PVP.
Time played in game. as of 9/12/12 (on my mains) Total 2907 hours.K'zoontite has been on active duty for 34 days, 3 hours, Bot Fly has been on active duty for 55 days, 4 hours, Poppa Capp has been on active duty for 4 days, 12 hours, B'zooka has been on active duty for 12 days, 22 hours,Tater(fed) has been on active duty for 14 days, 10 hours,
Captain
# 3
09-27-2012, 06:26 AM
I am trying to remember what it's like to be treated badly on the job, and to remember that it was a real person behind the development of starbases. So I will temper my language and just say that ignoring PvP with fleet starbase mechanics was a stunning mistake.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-27-2012, 06:33 AM
I have said 100 times that this game in order to truly shine it needs more attention at pvp part.!!!!

We need more kerrat like zones that are even bigger map and without borg but maybe other npc that are not so much hostile as the borg ones.

Also we need less ships and less faction consoles sharing in order to maintain faction uniqueness and pvp balance.

Instead PWE masterminds constantly develop FEDERATION ships only and rip off lockboxes ONLY.

Wish this game was mine then you would see something like EvE but with instance based zones/maps.
Empire Veteran
# 5
09-27-2012, 06:35 AM
ISC and the Ausmonauts had a nice little bash in Ker'rat earlier on today. The whole reason why I got excited for season 6 and fleet starbases was because I thought that there might have had been fleet pvp...
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Career Officer
# 6
09-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblygumsworth View Post
ISC and the Ausmonauts had a nice little bash in Ker'rat earlier on today. The whole reason why I got excited for season 6 and fleet starbases was because I thought that there might have had been fleet pvp...
"ISC & the Ausmonauts" sounds like a really awful Electric Light Orchestra cover band

But yeah, the bright spark who said "Hey, lets give them starbases!" but didn't then think "And we could take those IDENTICAL maps we'll make for PVE, add a few NPC ships to act as system traffic and let PVPers do king of the hill PVP or whatever they want!"

2+2=3.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblygumsworth View Post
The whole reason why I got excited for season 6 and fleet starbases was because I thought that there might have had been fleet pvp...
Same here, although they have mentioned that they are planning some type fleet pvp/territorial stuff but, how long will it take/will ever happen?

Your Ramming Speed III deals 52098 (99235) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to Remus.
Empire Veteran
# 8
09-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Fl v Fl should be an aspect of the Fleet system with its on Que.

I like the Idea.
Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....

R.I.P
Lieutenant
# 9
09-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Exactly. Look, I'm a programmer in real life. Writing code is what I do for a living, so I can understand how some fixes are complicated, and require a lot of effort. They might look simple on the outside, but when it comes down to brass tacks, they're difficult solutions to actually implement.

STO devs, this is not a difficult solution to implement! I'm serious, unless you've messed up the code so badly (i.e. hard-coded the various queues instead of making a "queue" base class, or something equally idiotic), this is just another instance of the queue. The ONLY custom code needed is a single check to make sure everyone who's queuing into this new Fleet vs Fleet PvP combat are actually all in the same fleet.

You already have the maps, as someone else pointed out, devs! So you don't even have to program that. I suppose it's just laziness, or maybe they're leaving it for a future update. I really hope so, because I genuinely think this will revitalize PvP if it happens.
Captain
# 10
09-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Coming soon (Season 9 or 10)
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com