Captain
# 1 Better Interiors Please
02-01-2014, 04:26 PM
So over in another thread, i posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
Regardless of what Deep Season 9 is about, i do feel that DS9 is in need of a major overhaul.

They need to redo the map to make it more like Deep Space Nine. Lower the walkways to be closer to the show. Quarks needs to be on the main map and accessible on both floors of the Promenade, no more loading it as it's own zone. We need the Security office (complete with Odo's Bucket in a corner like sisqo's ball) to house our security needs (the doff contacts). A Class room would be nice to see, even though there are no children in Cryptic games. Maybe an ambassadors office for that Ambassador we have no use for anymore...

the interiors game wide are kind of a Joke with a few small exceptions: TOS interior is nice, Runabout interior is a little big, but not bad on runabouts (any other small craft though, and it's ridiculous, the Shuttle Craft can fit INSIDE the runabout interior), some of the buildings aren't bad size wise, though they never really match the outside....

It would be nice to get a turbolift to ops without having to load into a new zone. The maps are big enough, but apparently the engine can't handle working elevators, since none of Cryptic games have them?

Needless to say, DS9 is one of those places we spend the most time, so why can't we get a decent looking version of one of the most Iconic places in Star Trek?

And it got me thinking "this needs to be it's own post".

Originally, we were often told that the reasons bridges were so big was due to Tech limitations, or camera limitations, but that's clearly not the case anymore. With the Zoom feature, we can get right behind our character in ways that make Type II shuttlecraft interiors possible, Turbolift trips possible, Normal sized interiors possible. As it stands, anytime you are near a wall, it automatically moves in to fit the space, so why is it we're still using interiors that are 2-4 times larger than they should be?

Why don't interiors match the exteriors of buildings? Why don't they match the shows? I know i wouldn't mind being stuck in a chair as long as my fighter interior actually looked like a fighter interior, rather than magically being the runabout interior.

With the size of these maps, why can't we get stairs in a building or working elevators? I've seen foundry missions with stairs inside a building, so i know it's possible. It would be nice if there was an actual turbolift to Ops rather than loading into another part of the zone.

Why are there so few people on DS9? More importantly Why are there no children on Deep Space Nine? or on Bajor? I've seen people create them as characters in game, but there are none anywhere. There aren't even any of these guys: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Balok%27s_species

Granted, i know that making detailed interiors is a bit of a task, but isn't it time we started getting things fixed around here? Can't they go back and redo some of these interiors to be more accurate, as well as scaled properly? Also as a personal mission, Infected Borg skins need to be full body instead of just the head, but that's not related to this post.
Captain
# 2
02-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Due to the sheer amount of work bridges take making, I seriously doubt we'll get updates for them any time soon. And interiors with contiguous decks rather than separate maps to load would probably make them that much more costly to update.

Though I want them updated just as much as you do.

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Captain
# 3
02-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
Due to the sheer amount of work bridges take making, I seriously doubt we'll get updates for them any time soon. And interiors with contiguous decks rather than separate maps to load would probably make them that much more costly to update.

Though I want them updated just as much as you do.
In a lot of cases, the ships sections are all offset on the same map, which helps of load times. Building one deck on top of another would increase load time for some people, but with how long most load times are, most wouldn't notice a difference. If they did notice, i'm sure they would much rather have one slightly larger load than several smaller ones.
Captain
# 4
02-01-2014, 07:33 PM
I'd love some love for interiors.

Sadly theres more money in selling people shiney gear so they can do the exact same content but slightly faster , than there is improving the quality of exisiting content, Or at least it seems that way , i don;t have access to the metric data

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Captain
# 5
02-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbero View Post
I'd love some love for interiors.

Sadly theres more money in selling people shiney gear so they can do the exact same content but slightly faster , than there is improving the quality of exisiting content, Or at least it seems that way , i don;t have access to the metric data
Yeah, the revamps were really disappointing considering the revamps we've had in the past. I think they made the transporter in stranded even bigger. It's easily a three story room.

with how this Anniversary was handled specifically, it makes me sad just how they're doing business this last two years. It's sad that they would ignore quality all together, or allow so many bugs to remain for so long. There is a lot of older systems and models in this game that could really be given some love to bring them up do the same level as some of the newer things in the game. I was really disappointed that when they redid the interiors for the fed ships, that they still made them way too large, especially after everyone told them not too.