Career Officer
# 1 All torp, can it be done?
09-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Yesterday I was experimenting a bit, for lolz, to turn a cruiser (4x fore, 4x aft) into an all-torp boat.

The results were dismal, though. When using only 4x torps (and 4x beams) and 3x purple boffs that reduce my torp recharge time, the results are spectacular! With 8x torps it all falls apart, though, and the torps are starting to come out real sluggishly. :( Major congestion somehow.

So, I wonder, can 8x torps even be done successfully?

Thanks.
Lieutenant
# 2
09-27-2012, 08:22 AM
i never tried 8 torps but i have a raptor that runs 4 torps 3 mines works very well actually, took some time and practice to get it right..

it might take some time and alot of trial and error but i am sure its possible..
Turkish RP Heroes
PvP Boot Camp Coach & PvP Academy Director
Arwin - Bane - Logan - Heniken - Seltek - Ariel
http://pvpacademy.enjin.com/
Captain
# 3
09-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimeitoo View Post
Yesterday I was experimenting a bit, for lolz, to turn a cruiser (4x fore, 4x aft) into an all-torp boat.

The results were dismal, though. When using only 4x torps (and 4x beams) and 3x purple boffs that reduce my torp recharge time, the results are spectacular! With 8x torps it all falls apart, though, and the torps are starting to come out real sluggishly. Major congestion somehow.

Thanks.
Are you using the same torpedo types? Or different ones?

I think you may need to try different types. From my understanding, certain types put your other ones on a cooldown. For instance, a tricobalt torpedo will put your other tricobalt torpedoes ona 30 second cooldown.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:

The results were dismal, though. When using only 4x torps (and 4x beams) and 3x purple boffs that reduce my torp recharge time, the results are spectacular! With 8x torps it all falls apart, though, and the torps are starting to come out real sluggishly. Major congestion somehow.

Thanks.
I don't know why but having more than 4 or 5 torps causes the game to have fits. The autofiring system just locks up on occasion and your DPS against a shielded target sucks.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
09-27-2012, 08:42 AM
It can be done but it makes far more sense to use x2 mines in the rear as they get boosted by the same console as the torps. You will also find most torpedoes only need x3 in front to max out fire rate with the best projectile doffs (Photons x2 launchers). As a general rule with x3 projectile doffs torpedoes that fire 8seconds or less fit x3 max. If 10seconds or slower fit x4 with.

For example,
x4 Transphasic or x3 with x1 Transphasic Cluster.
x3 Rapid fire Transphasic with x1 Transphasic Cluster
x3 Plasma or x3 Quantum with the 4th slot being Hargh'peng Torpedo.

Or x2 torpedoes and x2 dual beam banks works ok as well.

A full Quantum torpedo setup can do over 1000 damage to shields per Torpedo after resistance or you can go Transphasic or Plasma like I do and just bypass shields.

EDIT: What torps are you useing? as 4 photons will cause 1 or 2 launchers to never fire.
Career Officer
# 6
09-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razellis View Post
I don't know why but having more than 4 or 5 torps causes the game to have fits. The autofiring system just locks up on occasion and your DPS against a shielded target sucks.
I used 4x quantums + 4x transphasic. Sure, they're gonna trigger cooldowns for each other, but that's where my triple purple doffs come in. :)
Career Officer
# 7
09-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsey5g View Post
It can be done but it makes far more sense to use x2 mines in the rear as they get boosted by the same console as the torps. You will also find most torpedoes only need x3 in front to max out fire rate with the best projectile doffs (Photons x2 launchers). As a general rule with x3 projectile doffs torpedoes that fire 8seconds or less fit x3 max. If 10seconds or slower fit x4 with.

For example,
x4 Transphasic or x3 with x1 Transphasic Cluster.
x3 Rapid fire Transphasic with x1 Transphasic Cluster
x3 Plasma or x3 Quantum with the 4th slot being Hargh'peng Torpedo.

Or x2 torpedoes and x2 dual beam banks works ok as well.

A full Quantum torpedo setup can do over 1000 damage to shields per Torpedo after resistance or you can go Transphasic or Plasma like I do and just bypass shields.

EDIT: What torps are you useing? as 4 photons will cause 1 or 2 launchers to never fire.
Thank you! :) And everyone else too, of course. :) I will continue to experiment with it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
09-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
I used 4x quantums + 4x transphasic. Sure, they're gonna trigger cooldowns for each other, but that's where my triple purple doffs come in.
I wouldn?t recommend that. I would try rear x2 Quantum torps with x2 Quantum mines then x3 or 4 front Quantum which should perform far better. Or Transphasic with Transphasic mines. I would put the same torps in the rears as the front otherwise you are losing a lot of damage by not having damage consoles.

EDIt: I guess I posted a little slow, it seems this post was not needed
Career Officer
# 9
09-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsey5g View Post
I wouldn?t recommend that. I would try rear x2 Quantum torps with x2 Quantum mines then x3 or 4 front Quantum which should perform far better. Or Transphasic with Transphasic mines. I would put the same torps in the rears as the front otherwise you are losing a lot of damage by not having damage consoles.

EDIt: I guess I posted a little slow, it seems this post was not needed
Your post was nonetheless appreciated. :)

As for mines, I dunno, last time I checked they require a separate tact dmg console, right?
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
09-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Your post was nonetheless appreciated.

As for mines, I dunno, last time I checked they require a separate tact dmg console, right?
A console that boosts photons boosts both photon torps and mines. Same for Transphasic, Quantum and all the others. Are you using the general all torp damage consoles? Those do not boost mines and they give a lower damage boost then damage type consoles. At max you can get 20% to all torpos but torps only. Or 30% to one type of torp and mine.

In the lobi store there is freingi universal console that gives a further 10% to mines and torps. 200lobi.

edit
Rule 62 Multipurpose Combat Console 11% Mine and Torpedo Damage
Assimilated Module crit chance and damage.
Warhead Yield Chamber 20% all torp damage but low boost and no help to mines.
Transphasic Compressor 30% to all Transphasic mines and Transphasic torps.
Zero Point Quantum Chamber 30% to all Quantum mines and Quantum torps.

EDIT2: In the case of plasma you can use plasma energy consoles to boost the DoT of plasma torps and mines but no boost to Plasma kinetic damage. This way you can mix plasma beams and torps. Not ideal but it works.

Last edited by pottsey5g; 09-27-2012 at 09:11 AM.