Lt. Commander
You can see in the game that I'm level 49 but seriously I'm still totally newb as the game offers so many details I can't possibly combine something serious out of it.

I'm playing sci character and grabbed recon ship but after I found some suggestions on the forum it looks I could have built my skills and BoFF skills better. Also, some posts/threads suggest completely opposite things from those I've thought work best.

Possibly the most comprehensive thread about sci ships is this one:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=388301
The problem with that thread however is that it practically suggests NOT PLAYING SCI TOON on sci ships. Check those builds, you'll spot that he uses either eng or tac toon on a sci ship, while a combo sci sci he describes with these words: "This build really lost potency once charged particle burst went to crap however. I posted this incase cryptic ever got it together and fixes it.".

What's good there then - it's the first thread I've seen the suggestion about combining 3+1 Borg/MACO set items (later I've seen equally interesting suggestions on 2+2 Borg/MACO). Thanks to him I've stopped gathering stuff for Aegis set and am planing now to donate those samples to fleet upgrades.

Also there is a certain weapon dilemma. He suggests chroniton torpedos while I'm in love with Hargh'peng ones. I'm aware that sci "role" should go on heavy crowd control where chroniton fits perfectly, but somehow the Hargh'peng radiation is too juicy to ignore. Then again in this build for example he completely skips torpedos for whatever reason and brings me into even more confusion.

So please, be a friend, suggest what should I do with sci toon on recon ship (I'll respec when I hit level 50) or at least point me into right direction. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by joxertm2; 09-27-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 2
09-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Well, I can understand your confusion, that's in the PvP section I noticed, which doesn't mean that info isn't good, but all of it might not be what you need for now, since you're freely admitting you're new at science stuff.

Go ahead and stay in your Recon Sci, it'll do you well, I still use it on my own sci a good deal of the game.

But I do think that Chronitons are one of the best torps for science characters on sci ships, because they are great for what they do, slowing stuff down, and they are guaranteed to do that if you use torpedo spread. Don't worry about their damage, it's nice, but you're more wanting the slow down than anything else.

If you wanna use the Hargh'peng, go ahead, but keep it in the back, it's a slower loading torpedo compared to chronitons. Although to be honest, using chroniton mines in the back is an even better idea (especially if you wanted to use chroniton buffing consoles), since that will give more chances to slow enemies and such. Other mines are still good though, like tricobalts, and both are doing what sciences do well, CC and disable.

However, a lot of the descriptions and uses for sci abilities in that link are very good, so that's worth going by.

Aside from that though...it's mostly on what do you wanna do in space and/or ground?

I would mention, that your captain abilities, it's vital to learn when to use them, mostly the three 'S' abilities: Sensor Scan, SNB, Scattering Field. Photonic Fleet and Science Fleet are both nice, but not as vital compared to those three.

Scattering field is pretty much a large AoE energy damage resist, making it an extremely useful team ability, while SNB, even in PvE, if timed right, can really prevent a major series of ouchies that could've happened. And of course, the biggie, Sensor Scan is the major damage resistance debuff in an AoE as well.

However, being a sci is a rather thankless job though, you are basically giving up a lot of what you do, for being able to support the team. Like once on my fed sci, I was in KA space with fleet mates, on Donatra. We were weakening her, blah blah blah, and she appeared, using a lot of her buffs she tends to use (torp spread, mine spread, etc etc), and starts to turn to us.

Realizing this, I hit her with gravity well, then used SNB on her, removing ALL those buffs. So she basically wasted them. Nobody said anything, and we continued. Sure I wasn't thanked, but I was on my science, and I supported the team, exactly as I meant to do.

Rihannsu
# 3
09-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-27-2012, 09:19 AM
mimey, thanks, your answer is awsome, the combination chroniton mines with torps seems a great idea and that can't be made for HarPi where only torp exists. I'll have to study it more though.

taut0u... um... I gave a link to that thread in my post, why reposting it?

Cmon guys noone can suggest anything else to keep an eye for?
Rihannsu
# 5
09-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxertm2 View Post
taut0u... um... I gave a link to that thread in my post, why reposting it?
Sry, didn't checked your link, my bad. Used this thread myself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Okay... What's the story with the new loby crystal consortium set? Would this be a real cc menace if only one part added on sci ship:

http://i50.tinypic.com/16270bt.jpg

I mean... 100% slow chance + damage... And not on just one target, but AoE!
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxertm2 View Post
Okay... What's the story with the new loby crystal consortium set? Would this be a real cc menace if only one part added on sci ship:

http://i50.tinypic.com/16270bt.jpg

I mean... 100% slow chance + damage... And not on just one target, but AoE!
I might recommend using a tricobalt torpedo for a bit. I say that because tricobalts, mines and torps, cause an AoE disable of 1 km from their explosion point. It isn't the item above, but I have a hunch it is going to be a VERY slow reloading torpedo, much like tricobalts are.

So, if you end up REALLY like tricobalts, then go ahead and work towards buying that if you want. Otherwise, I'd recommend against it for now, especially since the sets are more geared towards the new ships.