Career Officer
I love STO. I am a lifetime subscriber. I have played since beta. Even after my guild left for other games I stayed and played. I love the story lines, the pve, and the pvp. But, I am really disappointed in what is currently going on in game. End game seems to be soooo boring anymore. How many times do we do the same handful of things. I am glad they implemented Star Bases, but... what do you really do there. The quests around it are fun... and you can spend a lot of time trying to build your starbase up... but really, what is the point... other than to say you have that. What I miss is some really good missions end game.

Every other major MMO that I have played has focused on a lot of content end game. Missions that had boss fights that lasted hours sometimes and would require large groups of people. Dungeons that would take hours to accomplish. I'm not saying that its not good to have the opportunity to save progress and restart or to break it into smaller segments, but... we have basically 4 major dungeons if you will... And they are for the most part easily done anymore.

Anyone else feeling lethargic and apathetic about STO lately?

I hate that I feel this way too... because I love Star Trek... I try to talk my son and wife and brothers and nephews, all of which have accounts to play with me, but... they are just not interested.

I am not complaining just to complain. I really hope that someone, somewhere, will read this and see that its a request. Please, add content to the game. Add story to the game. Add missions.... I don't care about another 20 ships... I don't care about another 20 uniform choices.... What I want to see is mission content that takes a whole fleet to do... and not just a single event like taking down the Crystaline Entity, but an STF that is large that has something like the CE at the end to fight... and we need many of these... because unless you add more to do than waste time developing starbases....and collecting ships.... you are going to keep losing those of us who are plain tired of the same old thing.

Respectfully,
Career Officer
# 2
10-09-2012, 01:08 AM
While I completely agree with you, I also feel the need to say that rome was not built in a day. The devs have been adding end game content and are planning on adding more. Whether you wish to play this content is up to you, I personally do not.

I would submit that more content in general is needed though, not just end-game stuff.
Empire Veteran
# 3
10-09-2012, 01:29 AM
yep, adding grinding is not going to help at all and so does making missions over difficult.
I am sure that we have a lot of talented mission makers in this community, and if they can be given the task to ease up the pressure from devs in exchange of some perks then we may have a lot of new content.
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Starfleet Veteran
# 4
10-09-2012, 01:45 AM
I am inclined to agree with you. When I heard the note of 'more Borg stuff' for Season 7, even alongside the inclusion of the new holdings, Tholian and Romulan-centric story, I had to cringe inwardly..because I feel Borg burnout. Borgout...? Endgame consists of, and revolves around, almost entirely, the Borg. It's been that way for nearly two years. It wears one down to see more Borg. They aren't the implacable foe they used to be after several hundred STFs and incursions.

That said, there is reason to hope for the future in Season 7. My only fear is that it will be a lot of hype for only a meager amount of content. The STO community is a very passionate and involved one, and tends to dive right in and consume whatever's being thrown out like hungry sehlats in an enclosure. We can tire of things very easily if it isn't some manner of self-renewing, procedurally-generated excitement, because only a certain kind of player has the stomach for the endgame grind.

And grind-content while we wait on the Next Big Thing(TM) is what we have in droves these days.

So while I do feel optimistic that a fresh burst of oxygen is coming with Season 7, I fear that it will not last to long and we'll be right back here. Even those who don't dive right in without savoring it.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Empire Veteran
# 5
10-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmorgon View Post

yes 1234567
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Republic Veteran
# 6
10-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmorgon View Post
I've been feeling this way for years. They haven't had any really good end game content since launch. PvP was the real end game at the start, thus the Klingons were a PvP centric race. Then we got STF's, and Klingons cried for content.

The fact of the matter is, this game is too casual. You level too fast, and have far too little at the end to keep you interested. I have five max level characters, only one of which has ever participated in a STF. I'm working on two more, leveling them exclusively through the Duty Officer system to drag it out as much as possible and make it take as long as possible in hopes to maybe hold my interest for a few more months to see if something, anything is done to improve end game.
Career Officer
# 7
10-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Is there any MMO with a non-boring end game?

The devs can't supply infinite end game content. MMO end games are meant to be boring gear grinds. The pretty gear keeps the achiever gamers going. This game also has the Foundry, which provides an interesting alternative.

Personally, I have no interest in end game stuff. I have altitis. I can keep going for years without playing end game content.
Republic Veteran
# 8
10-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirai222 View Post
I have altitis. I can keep going for years without playing end game content.
Except for two problems. You can level to max in a day or two, and there is actually a cap on how many characters you can have(even if you purchase tons from the store). So, unless you are taking a week to stand around and do nothing, another week to examine that plant, the third week to make a lap or six around earth spacedock, you will be out of content before valentines day.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-09-2012, 09:31 AM
PVE Endgame (from a kill-stuff perspective) will almost always certainly turn into some sort of continual grind. However, some really good things that STO has going for it:

- The Duty Officer system. Yes, it's grind-y to a certain extent, but between assignment chains, free loot, and items that buff your ship, I think this is one of the best things STO has going.
- The upcoming reputation system - Not opposed to this at all, especially if it yields new items (and especially abilities)
- Revolving calendar events - really a great idea. Some things help with leveling, some things help with materials acquisition, and some are just for fun.
- Starbases - many people wanted housing, and this is what we got. I like it, I think it (at least in my fleet, RA vOv) promotes a real sense of community involvement and a goal-based structure for the betterment of the fleet. Yes, it can be grindy and cost-prohibitive in some cases, but, it sounds like that is potentially being addressed in S7.

Things that really need improvement:
- STFs - we just need more of these, flat out. 3 raids over the last two years is insufficient, but the fact that S7 will include a new one is really encouraging, and gives hope that continued development will lead to more variety. And nobody says they have to be Borg-only; there is a HOST of canon lore available that could be built out for STFs
- Crafting - the crafting system needs a revamp/rewrite entirely. Include a profession-based system in order to stimulate the economy and enhance variety.
- Some sort of mobile device presence - even if it's a simple app, like Rift's which provides a scratchoff-lotto based app that has a cooldown and provides in-game buffs, all the way up to WoW's remote AH/armory. STO *needs* a mobile online presence of some kind (personally I would love to see some sort of mobile-Doff-system, either using/granting mobile-only-useable-Doffs with mobile-only rewards).
- Trait respecs - @Cryptic - this is free money for you, we are waiting to spend it.
Career Officer
# 10
10-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittieshaufer View Post
Except for two problems. You can level to max in a day or two, and there is actually a cap on how many characters you can have(even if you purchase tons from the store). So, unless you are taking a week to stand around and do nothing, another week to examine that plant, the third week to make a lap or six around earth spacedock, you will be out of content before valentines day.
Although the trip to 50 is very short in this game, it takes me a lot longer than a day or two. Even when I get to 50, I've only gone through the Klingon front episodes. I still have a lot of episode content to do. Plus, I enjoy the duty officer system, so I'm spending quite a bit of time on that between episodes. And I also do patrol and exploration missions here and there. Alternating between a bunch of characters, it really does take me a long time to get through it all.