Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,674
I've never really enjoyed playing a scitoon until now. My preference has been aggressive tac toons on an escort, my current favourite being the Heavy Escort Carrier.

When I heard about the Wells class, I thought it would be as tough to get as the Jem bug. Depending on who you read, it's looking to be quite tough to find.

I committed myself to buying 100 keys, and work my way hopefully to either enough Lobi to buy the Mobius, or to actually get the Wells. On key 27 I was blessed with a new baby Wells. By key 58 (ish) I had enough lobi to buy the Mobius for the second console. Note that I didn't even know of the temporal set in the lobi store at this point.

After a number of layout changes, here are my initial thoughts:

  1. Best looking bridge anywhere. The level of detail on the station consoles puts the Odyssey to shame. Small (the way it should be), and the added benefit of account bank access is very nice. Everything you need for duty officers can be found at a single station. I hope they add an away room at some point.
  2. She moves like an escort. A revelation for me after playing an Atrox for the last month.
  3. Amazing shield potential. Sitting at 9200+ per facing without consoles.
  4. The Manheim device is cool, with two spawns of your vessel joining you in combat. Oddly enough the version from your past carries any damage it takes over to your ship, which truthfully came as a surprise. Both duplicates use the original ship layout for weapons, Type X AP arrays and chroniton torpedoes. I've not tracked how long they stay, but easily 10-15 seconds - enough time to do serious damage.
  5. The Tipler Cylnder is amazing. The visual effect is cool, and the regeneration of your hits and shields is a major boost when someone finally gets past your shields. There seems to be another effect which I won't list here. If it's a bug, let it stay please If it isn't... whoah.
  6. My Build: I ended up which phased-tetryon duals upfront, 2 turrets rear, fleet quantums front and back. The universal stations I dedicated to tac boffs. The end result is a fairly adept sci-escort.

My first few combats were shaky - I was not expecting the speed and mobility. After a few changes and tests (arrays, cannons etc) I found that the Wells was an effective combat ship capable of keeping up in the elite stfs without difficulty. While not a true escort, yes a good escort in pvp would trounce it, it does satisfy the 'tac' style of play I enjoy.

Great Work Cryptic!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 2
09-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I am going to assume you already had lobi in your account - because by key 58ish it is almost statistically impossible to have 800 Lobi when the avg dropped per box is in the 5's
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,674
# 3
09-28-2012, 06:53 PM
50+ at the start. More than a few boxes had 25 (which surprised the heck out of me).
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,127
# 4
09-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
I am going to assume you already had lobi in your account - because by key 58ish it is almost statistically impossible to have 800 Lobi when the avg dropped per box is in the 5's
My average has been around 7 since the lock-box revamp, and I've gotten 30 Lobi from a single box(Ferengi pre-revamp) before. Nothing that big from the new boxes yet, but several 10 Lobi boxes already.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 5
09-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
50+ at the start. More than a few boxes had 25 (which surprised the heck out of me).
Either a)you are someone working at Cryptic posting b)incredibally lucky or c)lying

58 boxes = avg of 15 per box to get 800 - that is incredible - but the type of your post just screams - "I work for Cryptic and am promoting the Wells - so go out and buy some boxes"

On Stock BB we call this posts done by paid pumpers

Last edited by levi3; 09-28-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,516
# 6
09-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Either a)you are someone working at Cryptic posting b)incredibally lucky or c)lying

58 boxes = avg of 15 per box to get 800 - that is incredible - but the type of your post just screams - "I work for Cryptic and am promoting the Wells - so go out and buy some boxes"

On Stock BB we call this posts done by paid pumpers
Yes, LOL. His posts seems way to construed (larded with careful hints where to get more: "Note that I didn't even know of the temporal set in the lobi store at this point.").

But yeah, all I got from the boxes was like 4-5 lobi on average, and almost always that stupid common doffs mini-pack (because, yeah, endless more white doffs is what I need to clutter up my roster). And a purple Mk XI single cannon. Yawn.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 7
09-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimeitoo View Post
Yes, LOL. His posts seems way to construed (larded with careful hints where to get more: "Note that I didn't even know of the temporal set in the lobi store at this point.").

But yeah, all I got from the boxes was like 4-5 lobi on average, and almost always that stupid common doffs mini-pack (because, yeah, endless more white doffs is what I need to clutter up my roster). And a purple Mk XI single cannon. Yawn.
Yes LOL - hope it did not fool anyone into thinking they could get all this great stuff for "only" 58 boxes - it's like something right out of the marketing deptment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
I've never really enjoyed playing a scitoon until now. My preference has been aggressive tac toons on an escort, my current favourite being the Heavy Escort Carrier.

When I heard about the Wells class, I thought it would be as tough to get as the Jem bug. Depending on who you read, it's looking to be quite tough to find.

I committed myself to buying 100 keys, and work my way hopefully to either enough Lobi to buy the Mobius, or to actually get the Wells. On key 27 I was blessed with a new baby Wells. By key 58 (ish) I had enough lobi to buy the Mobius for the second console. Note that I didn't even know of the temporal set in the lobi store at this point.

After a number of layout changes, here are my initial thoughts:

  1. Best looking bridge anywhere. The level of detail on the station consoles puts the Odyssey to shame. Small (the way it should be), and the added benefit of account bank access is very nice. Everything you need for duty officers can be found at a single station. I hope they add an away room at some point.
  2. She moves like an escort. A revelation for me after playing an Atrox for the last month.
  3. Amazing shield potential. Sitting at 9200+ per facing without consoles.
  4. The Manheim device is cool, with two spawns of your vessel joining you in combat. Oddly enough the version from your past carries any damage it takes over to your ship, which truthfully came as a surprise. Both duplicates use the original ship layout for weapons, Type X AP arrays and chroniton torpedoes. I've not tracked how long they stay, but easily 10-15 seconds - enough time to do serious damage.
  5. The Tipler Cylnder is amazing. The visual effect is cool, and the regeneration of your hits and shields is a major boost when someone finally gets past your shields. There seems to be another effect which I won't list here. If it's a bug, let it stay please If it isn't... whoah.
  6. My Build: I ended up which phased-tetryon duals upfront, 2 turrets rear, fleet quantums front and back. The universal stations I dedicated to tac boffs. The end result is a fairly adept sci-escort.

My first few combats were shaky - I was not expecting the speed and mobility. After a few changes and tests (arrays, cannons etc) I found that the Wells was an effective combat ship capable of keeping up in the elite stfs without difficulty. While not a true escort, yes a good escort in pvp would trounce it, it does satisfy the 'tac' style of play I enjoy.

Great Work Cryptic!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,674
# 8
09-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Sorry for any confusion - I do work in Marketing, just not in the gaming industry. If my post sounds like marketing drivel, it comes from experience.

Wow guys - I'm not a plant. I just had a great experience.

Like many other players I've spent quite a bit to get certain ships. I did not get the Jemmy or the Galor, but have blown close to $400 on keys in the attempt. Looking back I should have just sold the keys, and bought what I wanted. I limited myself to 100 in this pass simply for financial reasons - I could not justify a buy until i win it mentality. In this case, I had great luck.

Looking back I had probably had more lobi than my initial claim. Give me at least the benefit of the doubt. My tac officer opened them all, and probably had more than 50 at the start. I had opened 50 or so tholian boxes before the last update. My sci toon - the recipient of the reward pack sits on 50 or so - my bad. Don't think ill of Cryptic.

As for the lobi store - had I known of the temporal set, I would have had my scitoon open the boxes as the purchase is bonded to the character that buys them.

Just so you know - as the lobi shows up, there's a tally on the left hand side of your screen.... saw over 200 between openings at least twice.

This set of boxes have turned my opinion on the whole lock-box issue. I shared my experience - next time I wont.

One last point - been chatting with others who have done the same thing. In three cases they too saw a Wells in less than 50 keys. Four had theirs in 10. That's why they call it luck.

Peace

Last edited by ddesjardins; 09-28-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 180
# 9
09-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
Sorry for any confusion - I do work in Marketing, just not in the gaming industry. If my post sounds like marketing drivel, it comes from experience.

Wow guys - I'm not a plant. I just had a great experience.

Like many other players I've spent quite a bit to get certain ships. I did not get the Jemmy or the Galor, but have blown close to $400 on keys in the attempt. Looking back I should have just sold the keys, and bought what I wanted. I limited myself to 100 in this pass simply for financial reasons - I could not justify a buy until i win it mentality. In this case, I had great luck.

Looking back I had probably had more lobi than my initial claim. Give me at least the benefit of the doubt. My tac officer opened them all, and probably had more than 50 at the start. I had opened 50 or so tholian boxes before the last update. My sci toon - the recipient of the reward pack sits on 50 or so - my bad. Don't think ill of Cryptic.

As for the lobi store - had I known of the temporal set, I would have had my scitoon open the boxes as the purchase is bonded to the character that buys them.

Just so you know - as the lobi shows up, there's a tally on the left hand side of your screen.... saw over 200 between openings at least twice.

This set of boxes have turned my opinion on the whole lock-box issue. I shared my experience - next time I wont.

One last point - been chatting with others who have done the same thing. In three cases they too saw a Wells in less than 50 keys. Four had theirs in 10. That's why they call it luck.

Peace
Yeah, you're better off not sharing it.

I am actually a fan of the lockboxes. They're nowhere near as bad as they were when you first started, and if you want one of these uber ships, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY MONEY, just use EC too buy it...

Seriously, when these things come down in price and are around 40 mil for them, I'll buy them both and either level up a science toon, or use it for a current tactical toon. You don't have too pay big bucks.

However, most of the people on these forums are old subers whom hate change, and wish that they could have stayed in 2010. STO is a business, PWE needs to make money, and lets be honest, if PWE wasn't making money, they'd have no issue with shutting down this game.
I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 97
# 10
09-29-2012, 02:54 PM
He could have gotten a box like I received-
100 Lobi Crystals, nothing else.
I ../bugged it, and havent seen/heard anyone else with it.
Not really interested in anything from the store, and since the crystals are bound, was kind of a waste for me.
The other 12 boxes i opened (13 total) were full of mini-doff packs and 2-25 lobi
Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B

www.ADFleet.org
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 AM.