Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Captain
Bit out of the blue, but this keeps running through my head with KDF ships in STO.

They lack a personality or a uniqueness, or something that makes them special.. (going on the free ones mainly).

This is how i think at least:
Start at level 20

Choices:
Bird of prey, Raptor, K'tinga

Level 30
Similar looking Bop, Similar raptor, Vorcha

Level 40
Another similar Bop, Another similar raptor, Neg'var, Vorcha, Vo'quv

I know that klingons dont build for fashion rather functionality, but when leveling up its like Im not even changing ships (assuming you are a raider only or raptor only), i dont think of my ships when i was leveling up.. at all. My fed toons? hell yeah, i remeber the aggro i had in my akira, the fun nacelle set up of my heavy cruiser, my lovable reliable USS Maria (light cruiser).

Alright KDF can get some awesome and a bit unfairly advantaged ships from the C-store, but even so, the gorn ships look very similar, the orions admittedly variable, and nausican like spikey fish.. yeah space fish :|.

Heck even when it comes to fighter/shuttle there is such a limited choice it lacks any interest.

3choices. ('free' we have just 1)
I hate my toron shuttles. And toju's ability isnt going to get me to buy it from the c-store anytime soon :p

Federation, 10choices. (2/3 free depending)

There is only so much variety on toons in little ships in the sense you can call them a different name. (There are PLENTY of carrier pets which could [i assume] easily implemented into small playable craft)

Customization for KDF is also laughable, we can change paint jobs for the most part, or if we get lucky a costume (no mix/match) ((such as k'tinga)). Again yes kdf function over aestitic, but still :/

So what are your opinions,
Captain
# 2
08-29-2012, 09:55 AM
When you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships.

Take two players, with BoPs, same level, Same MODEL, same point allocations, maybe even the same shooty hardware...

But one of them can sci-tank a Borg Cube solo, and the other one is rigged out as a PvP Assassin by maxing out his weapons DPS.

Compare with your 'variety' fed ships-whom have to have a wide range of different hulls to do what the BoP does all by its lonesome.

The Variety in KDF is not in the skins, it's not skin-deep, like it is with the Feds, our 'variety' comes from being able to do or be whatever is necessary to do or be, to make best use of our abilities, and to assume whatever role is needed, with the hardware on hand.

In other words, for a Klingon, it is more about the Warrior, than the Weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I think one of the main thinks keeping the KDF is such a small population is the fact that there is nothing special about its free ships, they all look more or less the same and they are all Klingon. You can't play a Nausican ship, or and Orion, or a Gorn ship for free, they are all C-Store options and those are all the ones that are very unique looking and rather interesting. So yes, to answer your question, the free ships DO lack personality.

The next problem is that you get a ship and thats about it, you can't really do much to it. Change the paint a little, but that's about it. Most free Fed ships have three different styles that you can mix and match from, not the KDF, and often when they do get the choice to do a mix and match, they have to pay for the other option. The Feds have additional choices they have to pay for as well, but they start out with alot more choices than the KDF ships.

Then they wonder why KDF population is in the crapper...
Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
When you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships.

Take two players, with BoPs, same level, Same MODEL, same point allocations, maybe even the same shooty hardware...

But one of them can sci-tank a Borg Cube solo, and the other one is rigged out as a PvP Assassin by maxing out his weapons DPS.

Compare with your 'variety' fed ships-whom have to have a wide range of different hulls to do what the BoP does all by its lonesome.

The Variety in KDF is not in the skins, it's not skin-deep, like it is with the Feds, our 'variety' comes from being able to do or be whatever is necessary to do or be, to make best use of our abilities, and to assume whatever role is needed, with the hardware on hand.

In other words, for a Klingon, it is more about the Warrior, than the Weapon.
This is only half true, most people I know care less for the functionality of the vessel than they do its actual looks. Most people want what they see as a cool looking ship. Sure we can make a Bird of Prey fairly unique, but it doesn't look that way and when you are staring at it all day it makes a HUGE difference. The problem is we want variety in looks just as the Federation gets.
Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
Empire Veteran
# 5
08-29-2012, 11:31 AM
I LOVE my Hegh'ta Heavy Bird-of-Prey. Federation ships all look the same to me imo, the majority of them have a saucer, hull and nacelles (or look like explosions after an alpha run).
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblygumsworth View Post
I LOVE my Hegh'ta Heavy Bird-of-Prey. Federation ships all look the same to me imo, the majority of them have a saucer, hull and nacelles (or look like explosions after an alpha run).
I thought the same thing...A dinner plate attached to a couple tampon applicators.
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted74 View Post
A dinner plate attached to a couple tampon applicators.
And from then on, Fed captains everywhere could never hold their heads quite as high again.
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted74 View Post
I thought the same thing...A dinner plate attached to a couple tampon applicators.
Quoted for truth. KDF has warships. Federation has... see above. (I still have hope my Andorian captain will one day command a Kumari)
Commander
# 9
08-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Well, part of the problem is that the Klingons abandoned some of their Engineering talent almost a century ago. When the Klingons traded the D7 design to the Romulans, they obtained the Cloak, but also adopted Romulan engineering techniques to make them work more effectively (just as the Romulans kept the D7 design pretty much intact until they could make the warp drives themselves).

In reality, the D7 was the last pure Klingon ship, with designs since that point being Romulan/Klingon hybrids designed for shorter service lives and higher firepower output. The Klingons kept the basic D7 design to base their new ships on, as well as the BOP developed with the Romulans, but most of the classes from that point were just newer versions of what had already been built. Thus, most Klingon ships are based on a D7 or BOP configuration, leaving them all feeling 'the same'.

Of course, the KDF is dominated by Klingon designs in much the same way Starfleet is dominated by Human/Terran classes. Other races' designs are in service, but the Klingons and Humans are the engineers who make the star fleets of both empires run, so almost all of the ships in the two fleets seem to have the same characteristics and priorities in their builds..
Captain
# 10
08-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurigas7 View Post
Quoted for truth. KDF has warships. Federation has... see above. (I still have hope my Andorian captain will one day command a Kumari)
Precisely. KDF ships LOOK like weapons, they often LOOK dangerous and something you'd rather not fight. Only Fed ship I can think of that has a similar feel is maybe a particularly nasty-looking Defiant. Too many smooth, rounded edges on Fed ships. . .they're not really built to be out-and-out warships.