Empire Veteran
Sean Tourangeau, the creator of the Luna class (aka USS Titan, Riker's ship in the novel series), is rather disappointed and frustrated by Cryptic. He had tired to get into contact with Cryptic, so they can accurately get the Titan model right. This has been an on going process. He hasn't heard back since Captain Logan left Cryptic.

Now the Mirror Universe Titan has come out. Again not accurate just a repaint even though he already has a Mirror Universe Titan/Luna designed and even available as a Resin Kit.

Us gamers know Cryptic only has released the Mirror ships to fill out the Lock Boxes, cheap and easy to do and not all that great. But I am also a 3D modeller and ship designer so I can understand and feel for Sean, who's own design which he has put a huge amount of himself into has been brutally abused.

So what say you Cryptic? If you plan to bring in Mirror designs and fan designs into this game, do them justice. Also while I'm at it, how about giving the canon KDF designs a spruce up as they are pretty poorly done especially the Negh'var.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 2
09-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Ouch.

And yes, the Imperial Luna actually looks the part compared to the in game repaint.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Career Officer
# 3
09-29-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm rather disappointed that no one has talked to the guy about this, there doesn't really seem to be an excuse for not taking the time to answer an email or something.

That said, in all fairness, the ship guys' plates have allegedly been rather full of late. Between the D'kora, the Vesta, the Aeon, the Rozhenko, the Wells, the Mobius, the Kren, the Korrath, and the Regent, I'd believe it.

I'd really like to hear from Jamz or Miller about this, though. I can't imagine one of them wouldn't have responded if contacted directly, but I don't know either of them personally, so.... can't say for sure.
Commander
# 4
09-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Ouch...I always thought the in-game model for the Luna was lacking, even after the first revision pass they made...but to hear that they aren't even communicating with the ship's original creator is just sad.

Where did you hear this? I can't go to DA right now, because I'm at work, and there are things there that would make my boss's eyes bleed, lol.

EDIT: Is this the one you're talking about? It looks like it has twin 'mission pods' on top...although they look more like torpedo pods, at first glance... http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index....0;attach=9469

Last edited by aethon3050; 09-29-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Rihannsu
# 5
09-29-2012, 03:50 AM
Every ship model in the game is rife full of problems. Just review the shipyard forum that details out the issues on the models. While I'm not a graphical artist, I imagine that making these ships is not easy, especially when you have to make compromises in ship design to reduce polygon count and other details so that it will run on minimum spec machines.

The unfortunate reality is that the schedule demands a certain output from these designers so that there are compelling reasons for players to spend money on the game. Fitting in graphical fixes that most players won't even notice is not a cost effective use of time.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Always logged into DA. I think I'll make a visit and leave a post.
Formerly: Ally_of_the_Force/Now: A Ticked Off Customer
Member Since 10-2009/Murdered 6-2012
NO TO ARC!!!
4 Year Veteran
Captain
# 7
09-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Give me a break, people. This game is set 30 years past Nemesis. Even the TOS Enterprise was refit into the TMP Enterprise in half that many years. Just chalk up the differences in the various ships to 3 to 25 decades of refits - the 25 for the people who want to say the NX isn't perfect either.
Empire Veteran
# 8
09-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethon3050 View Post
Where did you hear this? I can't go to DA right now, because I'm at work, and there are things there that would make my boss's eyes bleed, lol.
I heard it from the guy himself on DeviantArt, I wouldn't call us friends, we don't know each other well enough, but we are fellow arts who share a similar passion. Both starship designers and all that and I can understand his disappointment.

To be honest doesn't matter how busy they are, the problem with this company is they always do things half done and more on. I say if you're going to do a ship (or anything else for that matter) do it correctly the first time. I'm an amateur modeller myself and if I can do a model within a certain timeframe from start to finish I think a company who pays people could do it right with a lot bigger timeframe. The Feddies get a new ships what, once every 4-6 weeks? Give the modellers a more realistic timeframe and some freedom to do the best they can, attention to detail all that. I understand the gaming industry giving unrealistic timeframes on their employees.

The whole point of this thread however is to see if Cryptic will get in contact with the artist and at least open/respond to him and keep the communication lines open. Include him in any future developments of the Luna class or kitbashes, retrofits etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"

Last edited by majesticmsfc; 09-29-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
09-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Cryptic have peeved off a lot of people; gamers, fans, artists. Nobody is perfect right? Whilst I can appreciate the guy being annoyed that Cryptic haven't got the Luna true to his concept (he was the one that designed the vessel) does it really matter in this instance?

Firstly, the minute you pick the ship, you're given the option to customise it, so it is no longer a true Luna Class (from any point of view). Secondly, Cryptics idea of a Mirror Universe ship is a simple re-skin. If people started suggesting that the Mirror Universe models (and not just their textures) were different, Cryptic would have a lot of work cut out for them having to essentially rework every Terran vessel.

Like I said, I can see where the author is coming from; least Cryptic could have done is talk to the guy, but I don't think, in this instance, the question of whether the model is true really matters.
Rihannsu
# 10
09-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celendis View Post
Every ship model in the game is rife full of problems. Just review the shipyard forum that details out the issues on the models. While I'm not a graphical artist, I imagine that making these ships is not easy, especially when you have to make compromises in ship design to reduce polygon count and other details so that it will run on minimum spec machines.

The unfortunate reality is that the schedule demands a certain output from these designers so that there are compelling reasons for players to spend money on the game. Fitting in graphical fixes that most players won't even notice is not a cost effective use of time.
Yeah, Perfect realism is futile. This is an MMO. "Perfection" is based on being fun to play. Looking perfect is nice, but if it comes at the expense of being played, no thanks.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.