Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Career Officer
# 21
09-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I think it's fair to observe that STO's use of the Enterprise series as basis for their Mirror Universe art style is a consistent and valid choice. The red scheme used by Tourangeau for his Mirror Luna, Akira and Defiant does look good, too. And I've seen much fan art - prior to Enterprise - which followed the same direction. But I don't have expectations for Cryptic to adapt to it.

However, I do agree that the Art Department should be given time - by the games Producer - to revisit the Luna itself as originally intended. Get some of its lines adjusted appropriately. Licensing aside, it's a good faith move as the designs original artist is interested in advising. If only from a distance.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Career Officer
# 22
10-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Presumably there were contracts signed stipulating Cryptic had artistic license to alter the ships? So they took the design and ran with it, I see no problem with it at all. Especially considering that mirror universe ships as portrayed on the shows always seem like exact duplicates of the prime universe version, albeit with different colors since Enterprise. Why change the way the shows themselves portray it in favor of a design from an artist outside the studio? Especially since (again presumably) Cryptic got the rights to it? I'm sorry, as many gripes as I have with Cryptic (seriously, NOT a Cryptic Defender here) I don't see why they would feel obligated at all to correct or change anything. ESPECIALLY when it'd mean more work for them for a minor non cash cow ship.
Career Officer
# 23
10-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Number #01: If Cryptic wants to have "Mirror Universe" or Terran Empire ships in the game, that's fine. But leave them as an NPC faction like they used to be. That way you can design truly unique ships indicative of the "violent" nature of the Mirror Universe.
You wont get any argument from me here. I still think it's a shame we're flying around in Galor Cruisers and Tholian Vessels.

Quote:
Number #02: I refuse to believe that all ship classes are virtual copies of the "Prime Universe" ships. The Mirror "TOS Enterprise" is easily explained by the lack of budget back in the 60s. The Mirror "Defiant" in DS9, is explained by Mirror O'Brien having copied the plans for the Defiant.
You may refuse to believe it, but this is how Trek lore has worked.

Forgetting about the ship appearances for the moment, this is called the Mirror Universe; where everybody and everything is suppose to be mirrored. Sisko, Picard and Kirk should have been Sasha, Penelope and Katherine.

Thinking back to events of the Mirror TOS (or Mirror ENT if you're connecting the Enterprise timeline); events that happened there didn't happen here, and we know that the smallest of changes can have a huge impact on the future.

In the Mirror Universe (via ENT) Sato became empress, and humanity was at war with the Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, Orions ect. Many people would have thus died in those conflicts that didn't die in the true timeline, yet people (Kirk, Picard, Sisko) all have their mirror counterparts. It seems highly unlikely that this would be the results. If Miles had grandparents stationed on the ISS Avenger (which was destroyed) then howcome we've still got Smiley?

The Mirror Universe doesn't make sense, it's just the writers trying to entertain. Don't put too much thought into it cause the logic will come back and bite you in the ass every time.

Quote:
Number #03: Lastly, having the Mirror Universe ships being nothing more than simple "retextures" of the Prime Universe ships, is indicative of the lazy nature of certain Cryptic developers.
Again, I am in full agreement.
Career Officer
# 24
10-01-2012, 05:15 AM
in Star Trek DS9, the Terran Resistance got a hold of the Defiant by sending some one to get the designs and later have Captain Sisko update the ship to his ships specs minus one cloaking device.

STO Open Beta member since 2010.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Forgetting about the ship appearances for the moment, this is called the Mirror Universe; where everybody and everything is suppose to be mirrored. Sisko, Picard and Kirk should have been Sasha, Penelope and Katherine.
Wouldn't that make it "Opposite Universe?" You don't see "flashica252" when you look in your bathroom mirror do you? I get what you're saying, and sure, some main characters shouldn't have mirror counterparts, but on the whole I think the concept is workable, just needs some polish. Besides, if you're telling me that if Cryptic took a mirror ship, and added some sort of spikes or other garnishes on it to further differentiate from the "prime" universe, then I feel like we're just splitting hairs at this point.
Career Officer
# 26
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Wow... imho this is just typically Cryptic.

really, i'm not even surprised anymore.

sell a new Luna Class per, by now, default Money Grab LockBox rip off scheme, and don't even do the research to make sure that the product you try to sell fits with what the customer would expect.

Because all Mirror Ships are just a reskin with a one texture fits all approach anyway, so who cares to double check?

*disappointed sigh*

+1 to fix the Luna

+1 to fix everything else on the list of ship errors

many people aren't playing this game for the newest C-Store / LockBox Shiny but to fly their all time favorites from STAR TREK.
Cryptic seems to have forgotten about that.
Quantity > Quality.
Empire Veteran
# 27
10-01-2012, 02:52 PM
whats most funny is that the mirror luna is LESS tactically focused then the prime universe version

it should be abundantly clear that crypic has 0 interest in going back and touching up already released ships, all they care about is what new non starfleet or non klingon ship they can include next, the artists have mentioned several times preferring making those

they had an opportunity to make the akira and sov look better with their recent releases, but no, they just made unattractive 2409 over styled beasts of costumes instead.
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Ensign
# 28
10-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I posted this in the Luna thread as well, but wanted to share it here as well.

I just got a n email from Brandon W. Felczer - Community Manager - Star Trek Online
and I will get back to him with my concerns on the Luna.
It sounds like the Luna may be heading back to the Digital Spacedock in the future, just no stardate yet.

I take that as promising and plan on working with them in every way I can to get her looking right.

I am not sure about the I.S.S. getting retouched, but atleast it sounds like the U.S.S. might get an overhaul.
Empire Veteran
# 29
10-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I hope I was of some help
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Career Officer
# 30
10-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourangeau001 View Post
I posted this in the Luna thread as well, but wanted to share it here as well.

I just got a n email from Brandon W. Felczer - Community Manager - Star Trek Online
and I will get back to him with my concerns on the Luna.
It sounds like the Luna may be heading back to the Digital Spacedock in the future, just no stardate yet.

I take that as promising and plan on working with them in every way I can to get her looking right.

I am not sure about the I.S.S. getting retouched, but atleast it sounds like the U.S.S. might get an overhaul.
sounds good

but don't let them off the hook with the ISS so easily,
after all it is inside a LockBox and that means players have to pay $ for it (or somebody else did and put it up on the exchange), every Mirror Class Luna that exists is a $ earned, i don't think adding that alternate sensor pod + nacelles would be too much trouble for them.
only the red paint might not be in line with what they want the mirror ships to look like in their game,

maybe a yellow recolor of your pic would be a compromise we all could live with?