Captain
# 41
10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourangeau001 View Post
Wrong, while it is technically owned by CBS and Pocket my name gets Design credit attached to it where it goes.

Also so far when CBS wanted to use it they called me and had me consult on the 6ft model. They wanted it correctly represented in physical form.

Yes they own her as part of the contest, but I do get some say in her representation.
Except... that not what the rules of the contest dictated, I quote (also emphasis mine):

"By entering, entrants agree to abide by these rules and grant to Sponsors the right to edit, publish, display, promote, broadcast and otherwise use their entries without further permission, notice, or compensation, in any media now known, or hereafter developed."

They do not have to ask to make changes to your design. The fact that they did consult you on the 6ft model is immaterial and they likely did so as a courtesy, but had they not, there would have been no issues. You may get credit, but credit /= rights.
Career Officer
# 42
10-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Obviously you're not a 3D modeller or 2D ship artist. You'll probably never understand when someone takes what you've done and basically deformed it and try to pass it off as the original or their own.
I would be a lot more sympathetic if it wasn't made abundantly clear that the ship would not be his in any shape or form. I suspect that any entries were automatically transferred in ownership away from the creator by virtue of entering the contest. So while he may have created it, the design is in fact their own now and they can do with it whatever they want so long as credit for the creation of the original is given when appropriate.

Thankfully there's a way to prevent this from happening in the future to any other artists... don't submit designs into contests or get involved in situations where they transfer ownership away from them. Easy, no?
Career Officer
# 43
10-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Obviously you're not a 3D modeller or 2D ship artist. You'll probably never understand when someone takes what you've done and basically deformed it and try to pass it off as the original or their own.

If that ever happens to you, I'm sure you change your opinion on the matter.
That's an artist's perspective but not as much a commercial artist's perspective.

I assume he has talked to Cryptic about the game's polycount budget, which is probably under a quarter what the original's was, and the need to have parts that can be swapped out.

But Cryptic's looks accurate for a deliberately low rez copy and at the end of the day, it'd probably do more good to take the "Luna" name off the in-game ship than to make it perfect, being a fairly obscure ship.
Rihannsu
# 44
10-08-2012, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
Which leads us to another problem, the ships should be rescaled! Rescale everything, bigger = better in my book.

Reality Check for Mewi: They wont do that, because that involves... effort. D:
Rescale? Heck, I just wish they'd let you zoom in closer on ALL the ships instead of just some! A while back, they changed things so you couldn't zoom in as close to many of the ships. Fans complained, and they changed it back. Well, for whatever reason it happened again. I tried to get a thread going but half the people on it didn't seem to care, and this time they didn't fix it. I'm still really unhappy about that. The Luna class/RSV is one of a number of ships that cannot be zoomed as closely into as, say, the Defiant class. And don't anyone dare tell me that I'm wrong about this, or that it's just my settings, because I've been paying attention and I'm serious.

Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
Founding member, Special Service Squadron
"Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher