Career Officer
I ask because we now have DOffs like:

Rain Robinson (played by Sarah Silverman on Voyager).

Berlinghoff Rasmussen (played by Matt Frewer on TNG).

Gary Seven's partner Isis (in her human form).

Lucsly and Dulmer.

All reasonable likenesses. Not flawless reproductions but you'd know the character.

I've also heard buzz about Gary Seven, Edith Keeler, Henry Starling, Gillian Taylor, and more than one version of Braxton -- although I haven't seen any of these and it may have been speculation.

Now... They didn't go ALL out. We got Morgan Bateson's daughter (instead of Bateson, played by Kelsey Grammer) and someone who looks suspiciously like the actor who played Kruge and the exact name of that actor's film son in a certain three part time travel franchise, which seems almost sure to cross the parody line.

But this is a fairly big burst of canon characters in a game that had none.

As a Foundry author who's grappled with showing characters (and I have a test case out there), I'd like to know what the philosophy is, if these are characters we can expect to see in missions, if we can use them in missions based on their DOff portraits, etc.

Prior to this, every character who showed up was played by a deceased actor, appeared in Klingon/Romulan/Cardassian makeup, was aged out of recognizability, or resulted from cooperation with the actor (Nimoy and Chase Masterson).

If they did negotiate with Sarah Silverman for this... Wow. That's a change for Cryptic.
Rihannsu
# 2
09-29-2012, 05:00 AM
Likeness rights are tricky at the best of times.

1 - the doffs really dont look much like their real life actors. (you would not have a clue who any of them were without their names).

2 - they do own the rights to the characters names (although ive seen some characters like vern brown from back to the future in there, so that does not apply to all of them.)

3 - and they dont really say or do much so it could be argued that as you dont speak to them they are not really characters.

i doubt the got rights to all the different actors but more likely just found loopholes around it all.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 3
09-29-2012, 05:35 AM
I would imagine minor actors are just happy to be remembered and so agree to allow likenesses in the game for free. Bigger actors, like Kelsey, understand the business and value of their likeness, and thus we don't see them in the game.
Rihannsu
# 4
09-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Sarah Silverman's character is in STO? Funny I just watched that Two-Parter the other day. Also Not very surprising since once her show ended the only big thing she did was fracking Matt Damon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Prior to this, every character who showed up was played by a deceased actor, appeared in Klingon/Romulan/Cardassian makeup, was aged out of recognizability, or resulted from cooperation with the actor (Nimoy and Chase Masterson).
Add an international rock star in Vorta makeup to that list.

This is his ingame Doff

And this is the person in question

My guess in this case: Since he's really not recognisable, and on top of that a little "insider" not everyone knows about, they were ok with it. But still, he is big in comparison if you think about it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbmoney View Post
Sarah Silverman's character is in STO? Funny I just watched that Two-Parter the other day. Also Not very surprising since once her show ended the only big thing she did was fracking Matt Damon.
Are you new to Star Trek? That Voyager episode was filmed way back in 1996. The Sarah Silverman Program only ended a couple years ago. Check IMDB for the rest.

Raptr profile
Career Officer
# 7
09-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Likeness rights are tricky at the best of times.

1 - the doffs really dont look much like their real life actors. (you would not have a clue who any of them were without their names).

2 - they do own the rights to the characters names (although ive seen some characters like vern brown from back to the future in there, so that does not apply to all of them.)

3 - and they dont really say or do much so it could be argued that as you dont speak to them they are not really characters.

i doubt the got rights to all the different actors but more likely just found loopholes around it all.
I'm just sayin'... If the Azure Nebula has time travel as an element and since we have Ferengi selling stolen Tholian stuff, we should see a pre-TNG Berlinghoff Rasmussen there with a trading camp hawking his wares. Maybe with some kind of orders from Starfleet that say, basically, "Yes. We know he's a time traveler. But he has to be arrested on his next stop in the 24th century by Jean-Luc Picard. See what priceless artifacts you can get him to unload so as to avoid anything priceless being lost or damaged but don't stop him. Temporal Prime Directive."

Also, sheez... I want a Gary Seven mission something fierce.
Rihannsu
# 8
09-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
Are you new to Star Trek? That Voyager episode was filmed way back in 1996. The Sarah Silverman Program only ended a couple years ago. Check IMDB for the rest.
I'm not new. I like to rewatch episodes to see things I want in STO.
Captain
# 9
09-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Wait... Lucsly and Dulmer are doffs too? Want!
Career Officer
# 10
09-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom2375 View Post
Add an international rock star in Vorta makeup to that list.

This is his ingame Doff

And this is the person in question

My guess in this case: Since he's really not recognisable, and on top of that a little "insider" not everyone knows about, they were ok with it. But still, he is big in comparison if you think about it.
Yelgrun's potrait is pretty much the generic face you get when first making a character. It looks nothing like Iggy Pop at all.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.