Career Officer
# 11
09-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Yelgrun's potrait is pretty much the generic face you get when first making a character. It looks nothing like Iggy Pop at all.
Yeah. Whereas Silverman's is passable, Frewer is about as close as the average player would get with the assets we have, and Christopher Lloyd's is scary spot on, in spite of being the one that would qualify as parody.

I wish I could get a job playing with face sliders. I feel like my characters come out looking more like a live person than Cryptic's. They traditionally have had a lot of Ken doll syndrome.
Career Officer
# 12
09-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, Iggy doesn't look like DOFF Yelgrun.

But I'm curious to know regarding likenesses. When the Foundry was launched we were told NOT to show any canonical characters. Then after F2P it evolved to "you can show them, but they can't look exactly like the actor". Same with the ships, "Can't mention canonical ships" to "you can have them in, even the Enterprise".

So for me, I'm playing a throwing darts at the wall and seeing where it lands. Because I'm doing a Foundry mission of the Battle of Klach D'kel Brakt and with the original rules, I changed it from Kor's viewpoint to one of his subordinates, and renamed the Klothos to the Q'othos and back again, and then adding a TOS Kor that's simliar to TOS Kor, but not anything close in resemblance to John Colicos.

Be nice if Cryptic could make a 100% official ruling which rule is which and update that FAQ Post that Branflakes did in the old forums.
Ensign
# 13 Advice about mail
09-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Hello! I am sorry to post this here but i am not allowed to create a new topic! I have a question: If i sent items to a wrong mail can i recover it without begging the lucky receiver?

Thank you,
Iullius
Rihannsu
# 14
09-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iullius View Post
Hello! I am sorry to post this here but i am not allowed to create a new topic! I have a question: If i sent items to a wrong mail can i recover it without begging the lucky receiver?

Thank you,
Iullius
No idea why you cant make a new thread, but no there is no way to retrieve it other than asking.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Ensign
# 15
09-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Pfff, this is very unpleasant Thank you for the answer.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
09-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Yeah, Iggy doesn't look like DOFF Yelgrun.

But I'm curious to know regarding likenesses. When the Foundry was launched we were told NOT to show any canonical characters. Then after F2P it evolved to "you can show them, but they can't look exactly like the actor". Same with the ships, "Can't mention canonical ships" to "you can have them in, even the Enterprise".

So for me, I'm playing a throwing darts at the wall and seeing where it lands. Because I'm doing a Foundry mission of the Battle of Klach D'kel Brakt and with the original rules, I changed it from Kor's viewpoint to one of his subordinates, and renamed the Klothos to the Q'othos and back again, and then adding a TOS Kor that's simliar to TOS Kor, but not anything close in resemblance to John Colicos.

Be nice if Cryptic could make a 100% official ruling which rule is which and update that FAQ Post that Branflakes did in the old forums.
Since when could we not even mention canon ships or characters? Since we've had Foundry, we've been able to mention them, just not have them directly in our missions. Kestrel's statement that it would be best to not even use them was because apparently some people can't seem to be able to tell the difference between "mention" and "include these ships/characters as main characters (I'm including ships as characters)". Better stories are able to be told anyway when authors create their own characters and settings instead of trying to give their reinterpretation of already established characters to the point of making their own slashfic.

So for example, having a mission where as part of the story, the author mentions something that happened in canon or the story is based on events in canon = fine. Reenacting those events with the author's interpretation of same characters, where the author is essentially taking someone else's work as their own or rewriting characters that don't belong to them = not fine.

Raptr profile
Captain
# 17
09-30-2012, 02:40 AM
Reflecting again, eh
Career Officer
# 18
09-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
Since when could we not even mention canon ships or characters? Since we've had Foundry, we've been able to mention them, just not have them directly in our missions. Kestrel's statement that it would be best to not even use them was because apparently some people can't seem to be able to tell the difference between "mention" and "include these ships/characters as main characters (I'm including ships as characters)". Better stories are able to be told anyway when authors create their own characters and settings instead of trying to give their reinterpretation of already established characters to the point of making their own slashfic.

So for example, having a mission where as part of the story, the author mentions something that happened in canon or the story is based on events in canon = fine. Reenacting those events with the author's interpretation of same characters, where the author is essentially taking someone else's work as their own or rewriting characters that don't belong to them = not fine.
Isn't that what I said, we could reference them, but not have them in the mission.

And yes people don't need canonical people or ships, but for me, its a necessity since I'm creating an actual historical mission that was only referenced in Trek once.

But the Definitions of the Terms of the EULA aren't clear because they keep changing, and why Branflakes really needs to get with the team, CBS, and the lawyers to make a ironclad rule saying "this is what it is and it's not going to change".