Republic Veteran
# 1 Vesta class thoughts...
09-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I know I'm probably one of the last people to be expected to be thinking about it, but well I actually kinda like the look of the ship from what I've seen in pictures and the in game early model.

Now most people thought it would be a science vessel but well the ship is a bit smaller than a sovereign. I been reading up about it (link below) and well to me...it really seems like it would be the Federation version of the fleet Corsair.

Its makes a lot of sense because the Fleet Corsair is science heavy flight deck cruiser which can equip cannons (least the wiki says, I haven't obtained one in game). The Vesta was very science-y and even had its own flight deck, plus it was known to have some cannons.

I know carriers aren't exactly a fan fave to some people but I do enjoy them and I think it would be cool and quite frankly it makes a lot of sense that the Vesta could be the Federation version of the Fleet Corsair.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Vesta_class
Ensign
# 2
09-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Can't wait to get this baby
Career Officer
# 3
09-30-2012, 12:06 PM
I think a hangar-less Kar'fi is a better goal to aim for in the Vesta.

A sci Commander slot, a little less hull than a cruiser, 4 fore and 3 aft weapons.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
09-30-2012, 12:10 PM
It'll not be a carrier , its ' hanger deck' holds two runabouts and the standard complement of shuttles for a ship of its size
this is like saying the galaxy should be a carrier because it has three shuttle bays
12th Fleet
Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
Republic Veteran
# 5
09-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
I think a hangar-less Kar'fi is a better goal to aim for in the Vesta.

A sci Commander slot, a little less hull than a cruiser, 4 fore and 3 aft weapons.
So basically you want a weaker version of the Kar'fi? Federation has the Armitage, which would basically outclass a 1 hanger Kar'fi in every way except for healing. Except you wouldn't want to use a tac heavy ship for healing.

http://www.stowiki.org/Fleet_Corsair...uiser_Retrofit

Giving the Vesta a build like that would make it versatile. It could tank, heal, and put out some decent dps (well for your standard cruisers)
Republic Veteran
# 6
09-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrincy View Post
It'll not be a carrier , its ' hanger deck' holds two runabouts and the standard complement of shuttles for a ship of its size
this is like saying the galaxy should be a carrier because it has three shuttle bays
"The ships' main shuttlebay was located on deck twelve. Behind the shuttlebay was a large flight deck, allowing small craft too large for the shuttle bay to land; this area included a large deck lift which lowered into a runabout bay. Ships of the class were equipped with a fleet of both shuttlecraft and runabouts."

Thats from the wiki...it could very well actually fit in the position of a flight deck cruiser for the Federation.
Captain
# 7
09-30-2012, 01:53 PM
We already have the Armitage.

You ANOTHER Carrier? and a CRUISER hybrid at that? last 3 Zen-Shop ships have either been Carriers or Cruisers, we dont need a THIRD carrier when the Atrox functions as a Fleet Carrier and the Armitage as a Strike Carrier.

And another thing, the Corsair Flight Deck Cruiser is in fact a CRUISER (4/4 weapons, +5 to all subsystems), it have AT BEST a Lt. Science BO as the Kar'fi is a SCIENCE ship, it have a Cmdr BO station ... they already said the Vesta is going to be a science ship so the Corsair layout is not going to happen and of all layouts the Kar'fi is the best one for what we want, a studier Luna class that mounts dual cannons and can use then.

Sorry if I rather have 4/3 weapons, dual cannons and a Cmdr Science station that yet another cruiser or a not as good as the Armitage.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
09-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
"The ships' main shuttlebay was located on deck twelve. Behind the shuttlebay was a large flight deck, allowing small craft too large for the shuttle bay to land; this area included a large deck lift which lowered into a runabout bay. Ships of the class were equipped with a fleet of both shuttlecraft and runabouts."

Thats from the wiki...it could very well actually fit in the position of a flight deck cruiser for the Federation.
a larger than normal shuttlebay does not a carrier make .
it doesnt meet the specifications for a carrier anyway , as pretty much ( may be wrong ,but pretty sure ) every carrier in sto has a dedicated flight deck , i.e doors into and out
a true through-deck carrier

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...Aventine/page9 thats a concept of the shuttlebay
12th Fleet
Republic Veteran
# 9
09-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrincy View Post
a larger than normal shuttlebay does not a carrier make .
it doesnt meet the specifications for a carrier anyway , as pretty much ( may be wrong ,but pretty sure ) every carrier in sto has a dedicated flight deck , i.e doors into and out
a true through-deck carrier

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...Aventine/page9 thats a concept of the shuttlebay
I don't see any picture that shows the shuttle bay, and what does "Behind the shuttle bay there was a large flight deck" mean?

The fleet Corsair has a lt and lt cmdr boff slots, its in the link I posted.

Even if it would not be a flight deck cruiser (which by the wiki if you read it would be perfect to be.) The Vesta really would make no sense as a science ship...its to big...its as big as a cruiser, its only a bit smaller than a sovereign.

Plus where has it been said that the Vesta will be a science ship?
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
09-30-2012, 02:39 PM
crap , thought that was the place with the pics
this should be it http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12880

as for it being a science ship , every single interview with the devs about it has said ' science ship ' .. so im pretty sure its a given it will be
12th Fleet