Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 292
# 1 Slow Pace of Content
09-30-2012, 01:32 PM
I was thinking that this game has a slow pace in content adding(NOT including lock box crap and c-store stuff)

I know PWE and Cryptic have to make money some how(common in f2p games)

I think that PWE and Cryptic having to worry about making money has slowed down content adding.

I think if we went back to the 15.00 a month thing it wiould make a equal balance between c-store and lock box stuff and content.

I mean(excluding lock boxes) that once a season comes out we have to deal with he content it has in that season till the next season, in other words what we see at begining of a season is the only things were going to see for the rest of the season.


I wish they would add content in the middle of a season so the game does not become boring so quick.

I know theres the foundary and i use it, but thats getting old to me.

I know im going to get flamed for this because it happens in every thread for some reason.

the main point of this thread is not to support going back to 15.00 a month(that one part was just saying what i think would happen if we went back to that)

What do you guys think?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,309
# 2
09-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Just looking at the general MMO market it's clear to see that the Subscription model is dying. DCUO could not cut it, SWTOR could not cut it, Cryptic could not cut it with CO and STO, and Paragon could not cut it with CoH - not to mention other studios who are suffering or gone out of business, such as 38 Studios. Even the mighty WoW has lost over 3 million Subscribers - and I would not be surprised to see them below 9 million when their 3rd Quarter report comes out next month; over half of their Subs are from the Asian market that does not have monthly Subscriptions.

So no, I do not want to see STO go back to that model. It would be a death sentence to go back.

There's no doubt that STO needs more Mission Content. I wish they would follow in LotRO's footsteps and offer an Expansion Pack. Maybe PW will come around about that, or not. STO's a very small game in the PW family and there might not be much of a reason for them to throw a couple of extra million at the STO team to make an EP. But no matter what they do I know we won't see anything done before NWN launches and frees-up development expenses - and hopefully starts making money on its own.

Last edited by thecosmic1; 09-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,648
# 3
09-30-2012, 03:07 PM
While the slow pace of content is rather sad, going back to the subscription model would loose very active, paying customers like myself. I love this game, I love spending money on this game. But I cannot come up with $15 every month. I can only splurge once and a while. I'm certain that since Free to Play, most of the people playing this game are like that.

The solution is making more things worth buying. Make the Lobi Store a worthwhile investment for people who don't want to gamble with lockboxes, add stuff to the C-Store that lots of people are interested in, and will buy. Add things to Gold and Lifetime that will make them worth obtaining. Add "Must Haves" to the Dilithium Store. Starbases and the stuff that comes with them is a start, but they need more stuff in order for it to get longevity.

That's how Cryptic needs to get money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,236
# 4
09-30-2012, 03:26 PM
To me it seems that subscriptions really drove the development of games, because if you didn't produce interesting things for the players to keep them in the game, they left and found somewhere else better to go.

While this is true for F2P, given these Online (greed) stores, the development is focused more on fluff than actual content. Just look around, we got all these interesting toys, but playing the same stuff for nearly 3 years. And the new zones that they added are just not fun after a few times (Nukara, Defera Invasion) or it's involved in constant grinding (Fleet Events).

So I get the impression the new generation of MMOs are just by-night operations that want to get enough intiital ooohs to get people to try it out and buy some stuff, and just leave it to die as they move on to another project. And STO is seeming more like a theme park than something that's going to last years, because they are focused on short-term than the long-term in means of player interest.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 606
# 5
09-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Slow pace of content?

I think not, we had Season 6 a few months ago and we get Season 7 in roughly two months, that's two major updates in a year, 3 if you count Season 5 as well and go by a 12 month timelapse.

Most MMO's release only 1 major update a year.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,491
# 6
09-30-2012, 04:13 PM
There are new missions added to the game every day. See sig.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,648
# 7
09-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
To me it seems that subscriptions really drove the development of games, because if you didn't produce interesting things for the players to keep them in the game, they left and found somewhere else better to go.
That is true, and rather sad.

But there has to be some kind of happy harmony between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,657
# 8
09-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
There are new missions added to the game every day. See sig.
As of this writing, the sig in question is his mission "Relics", recent winner of a Foundry Challenge. It's one of the best missions in this game, Cryptic or otherwise. Play it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianazeta View Post
Slow pace of content?

I think not, we had Season 6 a few months ago and we get Season 7 in roughly two months, that's two major updates in a year, 3 if you count Season 5 as well and go by a 12 month timelapse.

Most MMO's release only 1 major update a year.
Exactly. The 800-pound-gorilla in this gaming genre took over 2 years to release their first major content expansion, even though they were both charging subs *AND* charging $60 for the expansion itself.

It is inevitably the case in this gaming genre that you cannot be ahead of the content curve; players will complete missions far faster than they can be written. My best work (and only currently-published mission) has at least 35 hours of effort into it, and is nothing resembling top quality. Kirkfat's above-referenced award-winner has vastly more than that (I'll leave how much for him to say or not say, I'll just say it's way more than 35 hours). That's the kind of effort you have to put in to create a mission that players will finish in half an hour to 45 minutes. It's impossible to stay ahead of that curve.

What the game needs is more things to do in between stories. It needs more variety (and better auto-generation) in Exploration missions (so you don't get belligerent Borg demanding your surrender, etc), open PvP zones with territory control and/or warzones, and the Foundry reward system from Neverwinter (where you're rewarded based on the amount of time the average person takes to complete the quest, so you can't get rich off of "tag the panel" exploits). It needs alternate advancement systems that can be experienced by doing that programmatically-generated or user-generated content.

More stories are awesome, and sure, let's have them; but it's not like the folks who write missions are sitting around surfing the web waiting for something to do. They're working their butts off; it's just an impossible content curve.

Subscriptions wouldn't save this game; at this point they'd sink it.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 216
# 9
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianazeta View Post
Slow pace of content?

I think not, we had Season 6 a few months ago and we get Season 7 in roughly two months, that's two major updates in a year, 3 if you count Season 5 as well and go by a 12 month timelapse.

Most MMO's release only 1 major update a year.
What most are meaning by content is actual missions with a story. There hasn't been much of that. Lately it's been coming across that the focus is more sucking the wallet through the lottery system in the short term.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samir Bennal, Captain of the Onyxhammer
Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 773
# 10
09-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
It is inevitably the case in this gaming genre that you cannot be ahead of the content curve; players will complete missions far faster than they can be written. My best work (and only currently-published mission) has at least 35 hours of effort into it, and is nothing resembling top quality. Kirkfat's above-referenced award-winner has vastly more than that (I'll leave how much for him to say or not say, I'll just say it's way more than 35 hours). That's the kind of effort you have to put in to create a mission that players will finish in half an hour to 45 minutes. It's impossible to stay ahead of that curve.

What the game needs is more things to do in between stories. It needs more variety (and better auto-generation) in Exploration missions (so you don't get belligerent Borg demanding your surrender, etc), open PvP zones with territory control and/or warzones, and the Foundry reward system from Neverwinter (where you're rewarded based on the amount of time the average person takes to complete the quest, so you can't get rich off of "tag the panel" exploits). It needs alternate advancement systems that can be experienced by doing that programmatically-generated or user-generated content.

More stories are awesome, and sure, let's have them; but it's not like the folks who write missions are sitting around surfing the web waiting for something to do. They're working their butts off; it's just an impossible content curve.

Subscriptions wouldn't save this game; at this point they'd sink it.
I agree 100%. It is impossible for writers to put out content as fast as the user consumes it. A good 1 hour mission can take up to 75-100 hours creating, and that is not including brainstorming or editing. More unique and entertaining "Fluff" and grinding stuff. After that, we can keep ourselves busy in between content. It takes a while to build up a good game.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33 AM.