Ensign
# 11
09-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post

Honestly, as the designer of the Luna Class, I hope Sean Tourangeau takes legal action against Cryptic/PW for bastardizing his designs.

I don't own the rights I just get designer credit attached to the design. I have no legal rights and personally wouldn't go after cryptic anyway. I just want my design to look right since my name is forever attached to the ship as designer.

Last edited by tourangeau001; 09-30-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Ensign
# 12
09-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
No. What he's saying is that it's not worth the man-hours to make perfect. The ship's not that important to the game.

I am going to assume that Sean sold his rights to the Luna to CBS/Paramount just as Adam did with the Odyssey. As such he has zero grounds to sue Cryptic. In fact, if CBS/Paramount wanted to be jerks they could sue Sean for having images of the Luna on his website - as it's their IP. Luckily CBS is quite lenient about ships on fan-sites.
As I said I am not looking for legal actions. part of my deal with winning the contest is, that Pocket and CBS own the Design, but I will have design credit attached to the ship.

And for CBS I have worked with John Van Citters (President CBS Consumer Products) in the past with the 6foot model that they commissioned for the Tour years ago. THey are
fine with me having images of my design on my sites.

I am all for Cryptic investing more time and money on other designs in the game. I feel the game needs the best art to keep the players.

Last edited by tourangeau001; 09-30-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Lieutenant
# 13
09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
in the game it's been implied that the rebuilt terran empire is building ships using blueprints stolen from the main universe, just swapping out some tech for local equivalents.

this was probably done to let them just use reskins of existing models. so unless they want to replace every mirror universe ship in the game, odds are they won't want to replace the Luna class model.

that said accurizing the design of the regular Luna would be a good thing.

and i do wish they had used your model for the mirror version, i love that design.

honestly, i think they ought to redo the whole mirror universe fleet to use aesthetics similar to the style you'd developed.. it would looks way cooler. even if it is mostly just nacelle swaps on most ships for the more aggressive styling. (and IMO, the red markings look far more Imperial than the gold.. even if they don't fix the models, letting people use the higher contrast dark red markings ought to be added anyway.. )
-------------------------------------------------
"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
- Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
Career Officer
# 14
09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
I agree that the Luna model should be spruced up. It seems that the shuttlebay taper, undercut details, and the details along the edge of the saucer could use attention. And the deflector-saucer transition doesn't look as it should.

But while it's a shame they didn't put more time into the original or a mirror model, it seems they've already chosen that the mirror ships are simple swaps, and so it doesn't seem as big of a deal for me that they didn't contact Sean about a mirror Luna model. If they had made a special model, but it wasn't Sean's design, I'd definitely second the frustration, but in this case, they needed something that didn't take more modelling time. Perhaps the only reason we can have the mirror ships in the lockbox at all is that they're easy to make.
Career Officer
# 15
10-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourangeau001 View Post
Hey all Sean here the designer of the Luna Class/Titan. I understand the pressures the devs here have on their plates with the ships. I just have never been happy with the way they represented the Luna in the game. I can handle the little details, but what really really ticks me off is the sensor pod and it's deflector that is installed on it.

The sensor pod does not have a deflector dish on never did never wanted.
As for other details they are minor, and I was going to get capt Logan all the detailed
images of the Luna for rework before he left. Since then I have tried contacting people at cryptic to get them the images but no one has.

As most of you know I also developed a Mirror Universe version of the Titan a while back, and when I saw what they were calling a Mirror Luna for the game I had really got ticked off. I designed a way better version that they could of used all they need to do is ask and I would of been more than happy to let them have it.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...21&postcount=9

With respect.
Ensign
# 16
10-01-2012, 09:12 AM
If they want to close this one down fine. but I wanted to have my say since it is my design after all.
Career Officer
# 17 I prefer yours...
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
My Fed Tac rolls in a Luna Class currently and is just awesome in it. Lovely lines and speed, with good hull and some real teeth. That said, I really would prefer to roll in the original design, it just LOOKS cooler. And as for the ISS TITAN...humunahumunahumuna... want!
Sean, design some KDF ships, maybe some Romulan stuff and let us see what YOU would do to flesh out the empire. I for one would love to see what you could do.
Hell, Cryptic could shove this stuff in a lockbox and I'd buy the damn keys...
Rihannsu
# 18
10-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woerligen View Post
The Luna class starship is a beaty. Thank you for designing the Titan, Sean!

Also, the Imperial Starfleet ships in-game are, cosmetically, the same ships as their regular counterparts, just with an "I.S.S." and yellow markings. If Cryptic would adopt your Mirror Luna, it would stand out with its special pod and red markings. Not to say that's a bad thing, though. And it could provide additional options.
Tbh, I think they should replace all Terran ships and base new ones on existing designs that Sean made (provided he actually allows them to do such a thing off course), his work looks far superior to any Terran ships we have in game.

In any case, I was also disappointed when I saw the Terran Luna, especially so when I saw Sean compare it to his own on DA.

Last edited by lucianazeta; 10-01-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Career Officer
# 19
10-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Even if an STO ship artist were permitted (remember, it isn't up to them) time to re-create the Luna from scratch, would it necessarily come out with better quality than what we see currently? I honestly don't know.

The only reason for the game's Producer to even consider making that time available now is due to the Fleet versions of older models now being available. Since endgame player's really can look at their favorite starship for far longer.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Captain
# 20
10-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post
Even if an STO ship artist were permitted (remember, it isn't up to them) time to re-create the Luna from scratch, would it necessarily come out with better quality than what we see currently? I honestly don't know.

The only reason for the game's Producer to even consider making that time available now is due to the Fleet versions of older models now being available. Since endgame player's really can look at their favorite starship for far longer.
Bolded for emphasis. Given that the idea is that we as players should congregate around "large fleets" and buying Fleet Ships, it makes complete sense to bring the older ship classes up to a higher standard, since we'll be flying them alot more (as Fleet Retrofits).