Captain
[Image on DeviantArt]

Based on designs seen in IDW's Star Trek: Countdown graphic novel, Cryptic Studios' Star Trek Online MMORPG, and various Star Trek TV series from TNG onwards.

Probably one of the most substantial vector art projects I've undertaken to date.

Departmental Colors

Red = Command, Tactical, Security
Gold = Engineering and Operations
Blue = Science and Medical

Notes

Duty Uniforms
General-purpose work uniforms designed for comfort. Nanoweave fabric absorb a significant portion of discharge from energy weapons, increasing survivability.

Dress Uniforms
For formal occasions such as award ceremonies, change of command and funerals.

Admiralty Jackets
Most Starfleet Command flag officers would wear the standard command red version. For those in charge of special commands e.g Admiral Beverly Crusher of Starfleet Medical or Admiral Montgomery Scott of SCE, sciences blue and engineering gold variants are available.

Mess Uniforms
The equivalent of formal evening wear, or for hosting dignitaries. Starfleet Band uniform is based on conjecture from Star Trek Nemesis

Academy Cadet Uniforms
The nature of "Declared" means that some cadets may take courses across departments, in which case the uniform denotes their major.

Cadets serving aboard ships and starbases would probably wear regular duty uniforms with cadet ranks.

Academy Staff Uniforms
Administration Staff uniforms are again based on conjecture.

Academy Services denote amenities like groundskeepers, technical staff, tailors etc.

Undershirts / Undergarments
Self-explanatory. I do suspect females would have a wider choice of colors, though.

Cold Weather Jacket
Inspired by the low-key and practical designs seen in Star Trek: Enterprise.

>Physical Training
Can alternatively be used as as excursion uniforms for hotter climates.

Surgical Scrub
The red used in TNG's scrubs are hideous, so I've opted for a nice pastel blue.

Extra-vehicular activity (EVA)
Probably the most challenging to recreate based on a handful of reference images.

Section 31
Black leather jackets and trousers for a department that, well, doesn't really exist

Not planned

Nurse Uniforms - They're medical staff.

Counsellor Uniforms - In ST: ODY, counsellors are also considered part of the medical department.

Diplomatic Corps - Comfortable civilian clothes under a robe would suffice.

Starfighter Corps - I consider Peregrine crews as volunteers from the complements of various ships, rather than a dedicated unit.

Marines - Absolutely not. Starfleet is a peacekeeping and exploration organisation, and only as a last resort do they use military force to protect their interest.

LCARS color scheme inspired from STO.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots

Last edited by sumghai; 09-22-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Fixed title to prevent confusion with official content
Captain
# 2
09-21-2012, 10:37 PM
It strikes me that there should be a yellow version of the Admiral's Coat and Dress Uniform as there is likely a head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers. Otherwise these are very well done.

Precednt for a yellow admiral uniform here: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Toddman

Last edited by amayakitsune; 09-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Career Officer
# 3
09-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Nicely done, see if you can get the kdf side done when you can.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Captain
# 4
09-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
It strikes me that there should be a yellow version of the Admiral's Coat and Dress Uniform as there is likely a head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers. Otherwise these are very well done.

Precednt for a yellow admiral uniform here: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Toddman
The head of SCE having a gold admiralty coat / mess dress uniform makes sense. I've updated the image. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3xr34p3r View Post
Nicely done, see if you can get the kdf side done when you can.
I'll probably pass on the KDF uniforms. I presume in ST:ODY they'd wear what they always did in TNG/DS9.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Nicely done.

We still need to design Deferi outfits (for Defera Starfleet). Wonder what you would make of them?
Ensign
# 6
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Rather good job! I know for my main captain's uniform design, I kept the gold on her duty and combat uniforms to indicate that she started out in Engineering. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it that way, or shift it to red to indicate command, for one reason:

The Federation is on a war footing. From my own military background, you don't go pointing out your commanding officers when in the field. It's a good way to give everyone a sudden high-caliber promotion.

Flipside of that, canon from the shows would tend to indicate that if you're in the Sciences or Ops divisions and you get ship command, you get the red shirt...

Captain: Ensign! Bring me my red shirt! It won't do to have the crew see my blood running!
Ensign: But sir! There's a whole armada out there to our one ship!
Captain: Then also bring me my brown trousers!

Last edited by evilbenfranklin; 09-24-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added to post.
Captain
# 7
09-24-2012, 08:27 PM
And guess what? They're better better than the basic ones ingame.

I told you it wasn't hard Cryptic.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 8
09-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydaspes View Post
We still need to design Deferi outfits (for Defera Starfleet). Wonder what you would make of them?
What is the nature of Defera Starfleet? Is it the Deferi's own space force (much like the Andorians' own Imperial Guard), or is it a subcommand of Federation Starfleet that happens to be composed entirely of Deferi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbenfranklin View Post
Flipside of that, canon from the shows would tend to indicate that if you're in the Sciences or Ops divisions and you get ship command, you get the red shirt...
Janeway was once the Al-Batani's Science Officer, and judging from the amount of technobabble and instances where she and her crew science'd their way out of trouble in Voyager, what you suggested is probably the case.

Quote:
Captain: Ensign! Bring me my red shirt! It won't do to have the crew see my blood running!
LOLz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
And guess what? They're better better than the basic ones ingame.

I told you it wasn't hard Cryptic.

I always felt that the Countdown-era Starfleet uniforms, which happened to be what Perpetual Entertainment were planning to use back in the day, would have been perfect for STO.

Survivor of Romulus
# 9
09-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Rather good job! I know for my main captain's uniform design, I kept the gold on her duty and combat uniforms to indicate that she started out in Engineering. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it that way, or shift it to red to indicate command, for one reason:

The Federation is on a war footing. From my own military background, you don't go pointing out your commanding officers when in the field. It's a good way to give everyone a sudden high-caliber promotion.

Well, I've always considered STO as having a revamped uniform code, as presented by the game lore itself. To me, it seems it's been streamlined and simplified a bit -- ditch the more conceptual/abstract classifications like 'command' and 'operations' and look more at the Science/Engineering/Tactical background of the officers, and so on.

So I keep my 'division' colors for all my captains. I did establish one 'personal tradition' for my Fed captains -- I generally use the division color with a black secondary for the crew, black primary and division color secondary for the captain. So the captain has more black in her uniform, which has the colors flip-flopped from the rest of the crew. But that's just my own little system.

All in all, I think it's nice to see uniforms in colors that generally 'fit' the Trek canon, but I'm certainly not bothered by a range of options. IMO, best if everyone does as they deem proper for their own crew, and try to respect everyone else's right to do the same.
Live long, and prosper.
Career Officer
# 10
09-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Nicely done sumghai. I'd like that compilation to be the de facto series for NPCs in 2409.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*