Career Officer
So I have an MSI Geforce 560 Ti Twin Frozer 2GB card.... I play with everything set to max and DX11 with excellent frame rate, but the doff UI brings be down to 7FPS....

1. Standing in SFA at the bar - 39 to 36 FPS <= Baseline
  2. Open DOff Window with overview tab open - 39 to 36 FPS <= No change
  3. Click Duty Officers tab and click sickbay (no one in there) 29 to 25 FPS <= ok whatever
  4. Click Roster tab (381 peeps) 7.7 to 7.6 FPS <= WTF?!?!?!?!

Meanwhile, MSI Afterburner shows 11 percent GPU usage. If I close the doff window and run laps in the bar my GPU Usage jumps to 35 to 50 and the frame rate stabilizes at 33FPS.

So what gives Cryptic? Is there anything I can do to fix this? When I have the doff window open, everything else drops to 7.5FPS, simple animations of other players just standing look awful.

EDIT: Er... maybe this should be in the PC and technical section... not really sure, I think its UI/Game Engine related. The machine is a Quad Core Phenom II machine with 8GB of RAM.
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Last edited by phantomeight; 10-01-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Ensign
# 2
10-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I confirm I have the same
Career Officer
# 3
10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
The UI overall needs optimisation, its not till i recently upgraded to a i7-3930k from a i5-920 that fps has been fluid regarding that, any window with lists kills fps in sto.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Career Officer
# 4
10-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Same here. Been that way for a long time. Reducing the number of doffs visible in the roster (by setting the status filter to "recent," for example) brings the frame rate back up, so it seems it's rendering each and every doff card as its own little UI element.
Career Officer
# 5
10-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Graphics card doesn't come into it, the bottleneck is CPU in this case. When we open the interfaces a bunch of scripts fire off in the background. I have a weaker GPU (GTX 460) and I get better fps than the OP.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 6
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
This wasn't a problem before Season 6. Before Season 6 I could open the full doff roster with no FPS drop, Now It's taking my rather high-end system down to 10 FPS. It's atrociously mis-managed programming code to go from "works perfectly" to "doesn't work, period" all in exchange for a few minor graphics changes.

Also, if it were just scripts kicking in, the scripts would finish and the FPS would resume. This is NOT the case. The FPS stays in the toilet until you close this screen. FURTHER, if you filter the doffs by checking "common" or "rare" or whatever the FPS instantly gets much better. It isn't a script issue on loading the menu/list/whatever. It's a massive FPS drain trying to render each item on the list. It shouldn't be. It's a freaking standard background with text on it.

Massively bad decisions on Cryptic's part to implement the code changes on the doff UI.

P.S. It also kicks in when searching user content for the daily foundry missions.
Career Officer
# 7
10-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
Also, if it were just scripts kicking in, the scripts would finish and the FPS would resume.
This was the explanation given before, about why any UI window will cause slowdowns - because each one causes scripts to run. My assumption is that it does not "finish", it keeps running so long as the window is open.

My graphics card is weaker than OP's, and I have less RAM. I have no issues, and as far as I can tell the only thing better on my rig is the CPU - I have an Intel Q9450. It would appear th3xr34p3r's experience supports this as well - it's not a graphics issue, it's the things firing in the background while UI windows are open.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 8
10-05-2012, 11:18 AM
If it's CPU limited it's a gross mis-coding of the entire game system. It's killing FPS on high-end systems that can process a heckuva lot more than that.

I run an Intel i7 with 8 cores, 24 GB RAM, and a 2GB AMD 6970 video card. The game isn't bottlenecking my CPU. It surely isn't my video card. I have more than enough RAM.

It's faulty code somewhere. I don't know if it's running a recursive loop or what. I'll definitely have to check memory usage, CPU usage, and video RAM usage next time I load up STO. I'll compare both on "assignments" tab and "roster" tab.
Career Officer
# 9
10-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
If it's CPU limited it's a gross mis-coding of the entire game system. It's killing FPS on high-end systems that can process a heckuva lot more than that.

I run an Intel i7 with 8 cores, 24 GB RAM, and a 2GB AMD 6970 video card. The game isn't bottlenecking my CPU. It surely isn't my video card. I have more than enough RAM.

It's faulty code somewhere. I don't know if it's running a recursive loop or what. I'll definitely have to check memory usage, CPU usage, and video RAM usage next time I load up STO. I'll compare both on "assignments" tab and "roster" tab.
Speaking of tests I just did one to check, with 213 doffs listed out in sector space game maxed out, sitting out in eta eridani just at the fed fleet base entrance and 3 other ships in view. (cept bloom ofc thats always at 100%).

FPS:
  • Closed: 100
  • Open: 23
CPU usage
  • Closed: 20%
  • Open: 10%
GPU usage
  • Closed: 61%
  • Open: 16%

Vram idles 642 MB either/or and Ram (32GB slotted) stays the same a 19%

So with that, something is definitely going on. my full system specs are listed in my sig.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Captain
# 10
10-05-2012, 12:17 PM
By that logic, it can't be overtasking the CPU. It's using LESS!

Definitely some coding problem. I really am suspecting an endless loop or recursive loop at this point. I mean, what else would act like that? Only thing is if it were endless or recursive i think it might increase CPU utilization and might not go away when you closed the screen. So that doesn't really fit perfectly either (as far as theories go).