Community Moderator
Ok, I get how to place a mob on a map and how to modify individual actors to give them names and costumes.

What I don't get... If I have a Captain mob encounter with a Captain and his minions, I want to put the Captain name and costume on the Captain actor. I want my players to know who they're fighting and which one is the tough guy at a glance.

How do I do this?

I don't know how to identify which actor will end up being the Captain-level enemy NPC. I can't remove actors so I get a mob of one that I can easily identify.

Help!
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Rihannsu
# 2
10-01-2012, 09:20 AM
did you look at the mob in the box on the left? mobs have an expand/collapse button, which is collapsed by default. when you click an actor if shows you the actor's position within the group on the main screen by highlighting that specific actor instead of the whole group.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 3
10-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I do what markhawkman suggests. Expand the list on the left to see the individual actors. Then give each mob an identifier (usually "1", "2", "3" etc...) and preview the map. Then I click on each one to see what level they are.
Community Moderator
# 4
10-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Apparently I'm not making myself clear... allow me to try again.

Let's say I place a mob of 6 actors. One of those is captain-level, a couple are lieutenant-level, and the rest are ensign-level.

There is no identifier on the actors I am aware of that tells me which one of these is going to be the captain-level actor.

So if I want the characters to face a bad guy named "Captain Targon" and his motley crew, how do I know that I'm not slapping his name and likeness on an easy to defeat ensign?

Or, alternatively, how do I place a single bad guy that the players are supposed to fight, such that I know they're fighting a named boss?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 5
10-01-2012, 10:10 AM
When you preview the map you can click on the actors to see what level they are. Then remember which number you've assigned to the Captain mob and rename/recostume it

As for the single bad guy, you could drag the other extra actors away and have them killed in an inaccessible area.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
10-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I think Zorbane's process will still work for you. Renamed the mobs to a number, and see what number corresponds to what spawn. It shouldn't be too tough to figure out visually which is the captain mob. Then rename accordingly and then reskin them how you want.

Zorbs also correct about single mobs, but there's a couple things you need to keep in mind. When he says "have them killed elsewhere." he means drag the rest of the npc group into another room and spawn a couple more npc groups that will fight them and kill them, all offscreen from where the player is. There may be distance requirements. Sometimes mobs don't actually spawn until the player is close by. You'll have to test that.

Alternatively, you can do what I've been doing, which is have the combat not actually in the objectives. Put the mob in the player's path, but don't make a kill objective. Then you can drag the excess npcs elsewhere and no have to worry about killing them to make the objective progress.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic

Last edited by drogyn1701; 10-01-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
10-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Drogyn has a good point, NPCs have a "spawn" distance. It is based on the large circle that the actors are dragged around with in a group. What you need to do is place the entire group where you want them to appear, then drag the individual actors away.

If you need them to die you'll have to do the same for friendly npc groups that you drag in.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
10-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Is that spawn distance? I always thought it was aggro range.

Edit: nevermind, i see what you're saying. You were referring to the gray dot that you can move around, I thought you were referring to the blue circle.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 10-01-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Community Moderator
# 9
10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Okay, now I get it...

Number/Name them in the editor and note who's who in the preview. That seems simple enough.

{Sigh} Sometimes I wish we could do "simple things" in the Foundry without a lot of workarounds... I wonder if the Devs have to do stuff like that when they set up a Boss with their toolset?
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I think some of the issues we run into (and this isn't necessarily one of them) is because we try to do things with the tool they never expected we would do. Which is great, pushing the envelope is good, but it means that there's going to be a lot of things we want to do that aren't specifically supported by the tool.