Cryptic Studios Team
# 51
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Yes, we reuse assets. It is commonplace not only throughout the games industry, but in reality, in business, in industry, and even in Star Trek Cannon (both on screen and backstage).

We have made a lot of assets already. It would be idiotic to build a brand new chair every time we needed a chair. Just as Starfleet wouldn't get the corps of engineers to design and manufacture a new chair every time they needed a new chair. They would likely get some copies of a chair they already had the plans for.

That said, what you see is not 10 seconds of work, and Implementation does matter, as that often requires more time than the asset creation in the first place.

I'm sorry if you are disappointed with this project. Don't queue for it, don't spend your Dil on it, and save it for one you do like.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 52
10-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Free 2 play at its finest ladies and gentlemen (golf clap)
Divine Protectorate Gaming
STO Beta Tester and Original Cryptic user
Career Officer
# 53
10-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Nice! Very nice. I'm very happy about the KDF base's fireplace getting lit. The Fed conference room is less interesting, but still nice looking.
Captain
# 54
10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
still 200K dilithium? I saw no price mentioned in the blog.

but 200K dilithium....for a table and chairs?

Does the table fly? Do the chairs magically conform to the body of whoever is seated?

If not...200k? for a table and chairs?

I'm getting a headache.

Seriously. Costs need to scale to gains.

It's a table and SEVEN chairs.

Let's be fair and say it's a REALLY good table and it's cost is 100,000 Dilithium by itself. That means each chair is over 14,285 dilithium.

200,000 Dilithium for this project jsut proves once and for all that these feature projects are little more than dilithium black holes. My Fleet will be passing on this one, just like we did the Security one.
Career Officer
# 55
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Yes, we reuse assets. It is commonplace not only throughout the games industry, but in reality, in business, in industry, and even in Star Trek Cannon (both on screen and backstage).

We have made a lot of assets already. It would be idiotic to build a brand new chair every time we needed a chair. Just as Starfleet wouldn't get the corps of engineers to design and manufacture a new chair every time they needed a new chair. They would likely get some copies of a chair they already had the plans for.

That said, what you see is not 10 seconds of work, and Implementation does matter, as that often requires more time than the asset creation in the first place.

I'm sorry if you are disappointed with this project. Don't queue for it, don't spend your Dil on it, and save it for one you do like.
I'm going to call you on this one! I'd like to s3ee someone at Crytpic do a feature on the full creation of something like a feature project. This goes from the copying and retexturing of objects, placement, testing (which you guys almost always skip out on), etc. Seriously! i want to see what actually these teams do other than make excuses for my Defiant still having missing textures along with most of the other ships, DX11 still in beta after how long, etc. If you take pride in your work. Step up and show us what it takes.
Career Officer
# 56
10-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Finally! This is the one I've been waiting for since this all began. Now my senior officers and I don't have to use the ready room on the tactical deck for meetings.
Lt. Commander
# 57
10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:

The reusable assets you mentionned are not the main selling point in the other situations. There's a universe of difference between reusing a chair in a new episode you would sell and directly selling that old chair.
Lt. Commander
# 58
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
[...]stuff[...]
I wonder when we will get to the special projects for the exterior map.
Career Officer
# 59
10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
200,000 Dilithium for this project jsut proves once and for all that these feature projects are little more than dilithium black holes. My Fleet will be passing on this one, just like we did the Security one.
Seriously what proof is needed? That is the purpose of the featured projects. It's the purpose of the whole darn system. Do we have to get the Architect and Agent Smith in here to explain this crap with as many words possible for some of you to get it?!?!?!?!??!

Irregardless of the fact that it's a DL sink to get the value of DL back up... I will happily hand over DL and clap like a freakin' seal, and do you know why??? Cause it's my DL and that's what I feel like spending it on and if you or the rest of these cry babies don't, I don't care to hear about it.

It's a status symbol... that we have crap loads of DL.... Also, why does everyone complain about this when the projects go for 60 and 80k a pop and only give EXP, for those you truly get nothing of substance...

What they should do it put some new crap in the DL store that wont be superseded by another store...
  • Not weapons that are basically useless now that Advanced/Elite Fleet gear is here.
  • Not consoles that are basically useless because better can be had via the DOff system and exchange by proxy.
  • Not ship equipment that are basically useless because better can be had via STF and crafting (though the Aegis needs either warp 14 or some other gimmick to complete with STF in my opinion)

Then perhaps I would have a choice and might spend more of my crap loads of DL on stuff.
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Last edited by phantomeight; 10-03-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Career Officer
# 60
10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm wondering when player's can see these 6+ special projects ungated? When can we expect to be at this point in the system?

Consider the casual player fleets or those who won't even start a fleet until, say, January of 2013? Will fleets ever get the privilege of selecting any of these in whichever order they feel is more fun?
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link