Ensign
# 71 Table cost
10-03-2012, 08:19 PM
let's see that 200k dilithium, of which I can accumulate in approximately 25 hours of play. Since I make around $40 per hour, that is a $1,000 table. However, in game I can only refine 8,000 dilithium a day, so that would take 25 days. In the STO universe that would make that table worth $8,000

Now in the game 2 tier four cruisers can be purchased for 200,00 dilithium. If I use the ship cost as a way to compare to our currency, I would say that two Ticonderoga class cruisers, which cost about $200 million each, would be comparable. THat would put the price tag of this table at roughly $400 million in todays currency.
Republic Veteran
# 72
10-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
Yeah do you see paramount reselling the same episodes as brand new? No, they resell OLD episodes VIA DVD/Digital/ usually as higher quality versions based strictly on current technologies. But again, there is no point in buying the same episode if you are satisfied with your current. Ontop of that, do you see paramount chopping up season 6 Discs into 1,000 pieces and selling them off individually?

No but I did see paramount reusing props, and items a lot when making each episode. they reuse props, ships, sets, and lots of things to save money on production value of each episode.

here is a sample of that

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/in...props_misc.htm

If you're fleet is not big enough to be able to afford 200k then you should hold off on them till you can, and wait till the special project comes back.

Starfleet Veteran
# 73
10-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
No but I did see paramount reusing props, and items a lot when making each episode. they reuse props, ships, sets, and lots of things to save money on production value of each episode.

here is a sample of that

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/in...props_misc.htm

If you're fleet is not big enough to be able to afford 200k then you should hold off on them till you can, and wait till the special project comes back.
...... That argument is faulty as these props in an episode aren't being individually sold as is, they are selling the episode, not the props... Cryptic is selling props re-used props as "new" and "innovative" not an episode, you see the difference? :/ Furthermore the cost.

My fleet is perfectly capable of doing these special projects. Don't make baseless assumptions :3

So you are telling me, this update is worth 200k Dilithium you'll be putting in?

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |

Last edited by mewi; 10-03-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 74
10-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
...... That argument is faulty as these props in an episode aren't being individually sold as is, they are selling the episode, not the props... Cryptic is selling props re-used props as "new" and "innovative" not an episode, you see the difference? :/
They don't sell episodes, they make them, put them on a television hope get viewers to watch, to generate ad revenue which is where the money comes from....Then later down the road if said TV series was good enough, they sell it as a set on DVD or Blu ray which is relatively new as before DVD's not many people brought TV series during the VHS days since you would end up with literally a Library of tapes in your house.

As for the props being sold well

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/It%2...le_and_auction

Now, I know that's not a fair comparison, but neither is yours.

Captain
# 75
10-04-2012, 12:20 AM
I really like this problem as Gamma Sigma Command would like to have a conference table that we can have meetings at or briefings.

The Sister Fleet however will possibly never see the KDF look. I like this one better than the fed but since there isn't many KDF players and since we are still doing the Targ one sounds doubtful that we will see this one. Pity as it is the best KDF one yet.
Commander
# 76
10-04-2012, 01:11 AM
for a fleet of 200 people and everyone doing like 1 elite stf for this project, it seems okay. even if the fleet only has 20-30 people. lets say 10 stf elite but not everybody plays elite so its going to be normal stfs and that makes up to 20 stf for some people.
What ? Calaway.
Starfleet Veteran
# 77
10-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Quote:
They don't sell episodes, they make them, put them on a television hope get viewers to watch, to generate ad revenue which is where the money comes from....Then later down the road if said TV series was good enough, they sell it as a set on DVD or Blu ray which is relatively new as before DVD's not many people brought TV series during the VHS days since you would end up with literally a Library of tapes in your house.

As for the props being sold well

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/It%2...le_and_auction

Now, I know that's not a fair comparison, but neither is yours.
You are right, your comparison isn't fair

Despite that, this argument is pointless and strays from my original argument anyway, that, the amount of effort they put into this... is BY FAR, not worth the amount they are asking for. They are being unreasonable, picking at one of my many points is only degrading the base of the argument and is meaningless to that argument when you treat it by itself.

As others say "yeah well yeah I have 200 members so they only have to do x amount of small work" They do not equate the amount of dilithium overall being spent, whereas, Cryptic is trying to get people to do these dilithium sinks for as little effort as possible as they ( the devs can put into it ) hence lazy, or worse, try to chop some premade into little pieces and sell you it one tinsy little bit at a time, and slap in an endless supply of little lazy ad ins they find laying around the "Old Design Junk" bin so you don't even get to the more interesting parts, making those lazy parts look like that is as good as it will get.

I could go on, but I'm tired bed time n.n!

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Captain
# 78
10-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Offering us 6 stock seats and a cruddy table for $13 is a shameless act of impudance. Same thing goes for the security officers we were able to buy two weeks ago. Just common Omega uniforms on common npc models.

At least show some kind of effort and create something unique for our money. If I wanted to look at stock starfleet security guards I can take a look at those running around on ESD for free. The past few projects have just been lazy and one can really tell that there wasn't any effort nor passion or devotion put into creating them.
Republic Veteran
# 79
10-04-2012, 04:19 AM
Quote:
You are right, your comparison isn't fair

Despite that, this argument is pointless and strays from my original argument anyway, that, the amount of effort they put into this... is BY FAR, not worth the amount they are asking for. They are being unreasonable, picking at one of my many points is only degrading the base of the argument and is meaningless to that argument when you treat it by itself.

As others say "yeah well yeah I have 200 members so they only have to do x amount of small work" They do not equate the amount of dilithium overall being spent, whereas, Cryptic is trying to get people to do these dilithium sinks for as little effort as possible as they ( the devs can put into it ) hence lazy, or worse, try to chop some premade into little pieces and sell you it one tinsy little bit at a time, and slap in an endless supply of little lazy ad ins they find laying around the "Old Design Junk" bin so you don't even get to the more interesting parts, making those lazy parts look like that is as good as it will get.

I could go on, but I'm tired bed time n.n!
Ahhh, yes they are being unreasonable, they are forcing one player to pay the whole 200k, and not forcing a group of players to pitch in and pay for the 200k. they are also forcing cosmetic changes on players, and telling them to do it...oh wait no they are not because it's optional.

Cryptic does not even make as much money in the project, as they would on ships,, lockboxes, and C store stuff. if 20 players spent real money on for the 200k dilithium, between them with how the exchange is now, that's $12.60 total, and between 20 players (if they are using money and not doing STF's or other stuff to grind) that's .63 cents each player. now if 20 players want to win a lockbox ship, and we all know it takes more than 1 to win. Let's say they want to try 10, that's $11.25 each player for $225 bucks....who do you think Cryptic makes more money off. So I guess you can call them lazy( I don't think they are), but they don't make much money from those project so why would they bother.

Just food for thought, Sweet dreams

Last edited by neoakiraii; 10-04-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Ensign
# 80
10-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Quote:
... if 20 players spent real money on for the 200k dilithium, between them with how the exchange is now, that's $12.60 total, and between 20 players (if they are using money and not doing STF's or other stuff to grind) that's .63 cents each player...
It doesn't matter if u divide $13 by 1 or by 20 players. $13 are 2 much for this few pixels.