Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,252
# 1 The multi-roll Escorts
10-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Hello and welcome to my oddball Escort builds. These builds were inspired by a desire to have more effective options in STFs without the standard CRF escort of doom. And while they are tailored to the captian types that I use them with (as I have one of each) they can easily be tweaked for the other two without issue. I encourage players to try 'em out, especially if your getting discouraged trying to make a round cruiser/sci fit into the square hole of an STF. And while these are not optimal builds by any means they are fun and very effective. They can solo cubes, don't die unless you do something silly, and put out plenty of DPS.

The Tank-a-Scort: Engineer Captain
Fleet Patrol Escort (can use regular)
Deflector: Omega
Engine: Borg
Shield: Omega
Weapons: 6x Beam Arrays, 1 Tri-Co Mine
Eng Consoles: 2-3 armor, borg
Sci Consoles: +Flow Capacitor Skill OR Shield Regen OR Shield Heal OR Shield Strength
Power Levels: 100/50/25/25

Tac1: Tactical Team 1, Dispersal Pattern Beta 1, Fire are Will 3
Tac2: Tactical Team 1, Beam Overload 2, Attack Pattern Beta 2, Attack Pattern Omega
Eng 1: Emergency Power to Shields 1
Eng 2: Emergency Power to Shield 1, Directed Energy Modulation 1 OR Extend Shields 1
Sci 1: Tractor Beam OR Transfer Shield Strength, Hazard Emitters 2

I know what your saying to yourself, how on earth is this a tank ship and beams on an escort? Let me explain.

With an Eng captain I have tanked everything every elite STF can throw at me using this ship with the first suggested things on the list. If you grab TSS and use Sci consoles for tank so can any other captain type. The only thing that has given me fits is donotra occasionally but you just pop out to 11k range for about ten seconds to heal up. In addition, with the tetryon glider proc and being an escort you can and will keep agro even with an extreme DPS escort on the team.

In addition engineers are more effective with beam arrays for the most part. The weapon energy overflow will keep dps high with your EPS transfer ability active, and FaW 3 + Nadion Inversion is actually pretty good burst against a single target for an engineer atleast. Just please don't waste your FAW on targets that will insta-heal.

http://youtu.be/jTiliJzMADU Decent run I did like the addition of the mine.

The Support-a-Scort (Science)
MVAE Escort
Deflector: Borg
Engine: Borg
Shield: Maco
Weapons: 3x DHC/1 DBB, 3x Turrets (polaron)
Eng Consoles: 2 armor
Sci Consoles: Borg, 2 Flow Capacitor
Power Levels: 90/60/25/25

Tac 1: Tactical Team 1
Tac 2: Tactical Team 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1
Tac 3: Target Weapons 1, Cannon Scatter Volley 1, Target Shields 3, Attack Pattern Beta 3
Eng: Emergency Power to Shield 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2
Sci: Hazard Emitters 1, Tractor Beam Repulsars 1 OR Siphon Energy 1, Tykens Rift 2 OR Gravity Well 1

And again you think I'm crazy how does this support a team?

Attack Pattern Beta 3 is the single best support ability in STFs. 50% more damage to target hull. For everyone. Stick with the team and watch the targets melt. It also helps out your Photonic Fleet and stacks with good old Sensor Scan.

You can also bring enough CC with a single TBR to save the day, just remember to use your evasive maneuver ability to push 'em a good 20k away while its up if you want. And while you cannot keep a target's shield down for the entire fight without a few lucky polaron procs you do lower their resistance and regeneration amount so it is still very useful. And did I mention the +50% team damage theirs that too. Just keep in mind you are not extremely tanky so watch yourself in a bad pug. And use an Auxiliary Battery before using Tyken's Rift.

If you want you can swap out the shield/engine/deflector for jammie set for DPS or omega for glider but then you go from not much tank to tin-foil tank so it is up to you.

http://youtu.be/-0dzYBaovlA Another sloppy run tried to show the power of APB3 with log but doubt its very visible.

Quantum Defiant (Tactical)
Ship: Defiant
Deflector: Maco
Engine: Borg
Shield: Maco
Weapons: 1x DBB, 3x Quantum Torpedos, 3x Turrets
Consoles: Standard Borg, armors, shield
Power Levels: 90/60/25/25

Tac 1: Tac Team 1
Tac 2: Tac Team 1, Attack Pattern Delta 1, Torp Spread 3
Tac 3: Target Shields 1 OR Torp Spread 1, Cannon Scatter Volley 1, Beam Overload 3, Attack Pattern Beta 3
Eng: Emergency Power to Shields 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2
Sci: Transfer Shield Strength 1, Hazard Emitters 2

Three projectile Doffs are required but once you have them O man is this ship pure fun. I love seeing the insanely high crit damage numbers scroll and your torps fire out so fast that sometimes your torpedo spread will take a bit to go off as the 3rd tube is waiting for a turn. Against a shielded target your BO will make short work of the shield unless it is a boss then you just hope to get lucky with subsystem targeting. It just puts out ridiculously high damage crits with your captain buffs up that I can't help but giggle.

http://youtu.be/PzV8TK9yKRA - Sloppy KASE run but shows the DPS vs Structure potential. Amazing Team.
http://youtu.be/10lLRwvLA-U - CSE run went well enough had low DPS team but oh wells.

These builds were inspired by myself wanting to have highly effective ships in STFs for all 3 of my captains that were not carbon copies of one another. And while yes my engineer could fly a cruiser or my sci could fly sci (she flies a kitty carrier now actually) the sad fact of the matter for me was that the escort could fill the role (tank/cc) 'well enough' and still put out the DPS. So that is what I choose to fly. But by popular demand I will add one more...

Boring Generic Escort
Deflector: Borg/Maco
Engine: Borg
Shield: Maco
Consoles: Armor, Shield, Borg, standard

Weapons: 4x DHC, 3x Turret OR 1 Torp OR 1 DBB front OR 1 mine aft
Eng: 2x Emergency Power to Shield whatever rank
Sci: Hazard Emitters, Transfer Shield Strength
Tac: 2x Tactical Team 1, Cannon Scatter Volley 1, 2x Attack Pattern Beta 2, Cannon Rapid Fire 3
Remaining: Player Choice

This is your standard high DPS STF escort. This is the optimum, or near optimum mix of weapons and boff abilities you would need. It also gets really old really fast.

Last edited by bareel; 10-05-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 883
# 2
10-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Your builds are all terrible, and there's no reason to roll an engscort, ever. If you run an engscort you're doing it massively wrong.

Go to the PvP forums and ask how to build an escort, or ask in OPvP.

If anyone is reading this thread looking for build help, disregard practically everything the OP has laid out or you'll seriously gimp yourself.

Last edited by hurleybird; 10-04-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,360
# 3
10-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
....there's no reason to roll an engscort, ever. If you run an engscort you're doing it massively wrong.
That is total BS.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,252
# 4
10-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Your builds are all terrible, and there's no reason to roll an engscort, ever. If you run an engscort you're doing it massively wrong.

Go to the PvP forums and ask how to build an escort, or ask in OPvP.

If anyone is reading this thread looking for build help, disregard practically everything the OP has laid out or you'll seriously gimp yourself.
This is not intended for PvP, nor for optimal play. It is for effective Elite STF play in something other than the standard CRF escort.

I'm sorry that you feel my builds are ineffective, especially as you have yet to try them for the role I designed and use them for. But I can assure you they are effective as I have flown countless STFs with them, and done very well.

And lastly, this type of response is exactly why PvPers tend to get on my nerves. There is more to the game that just PvP and not every ship/build needs to be designed for it. So kindly take your PvP elitism, Learn to Read, and go away. Because if we want to be honest and just go for optimal PvP play there is no reason to roll an ENGINEER ever.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 883
# 5
10-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
This is not intended for PvP, nor for optimal play. It is for effective Elite STF play in something other than the standard CRF escort.
Here's the hard truth: PvP builds are better at practically everything in the game, and one PvPer in an STF is worth three PvErs or RPers.

Your builds are bad at everything. You could have made an equally effective build for STFs just by throwing darts at a board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
I'm sorry that you feel my builds are ineffective, especially as you have yet to try them for the role I designed and use them for. But I can assure you they are effective as I have flown countless STFs with them, and done very well.
With the exception of the No-Win scenario, it doesn't take good builds or any semblance of talent to beat PvE in this game. You can literally roll your face across the keyboard. It's not an effective yardstick. Doesn't stop a size-able minority of PvErs in this game from failing horribly at STFs for some reason though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
And lastly, this type of response is exactly why PvPers tend to get on my nerves. There is more to the game that just PvP and not every ship/build needs to be designed for it.
A competent PvP build will be infinitely better than yours for any content in the game. God forbid a new and gullible player adopts one of your builds -- they'll get absolutely creamed when finally get around to trying PvP, and that benefits no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
So kindly take your PvP elitism, Learn to Read, and go away.
Kindly take the ignorance of the game you are blissfully wallowing in, learn to play, and refrain from posting build threads until you are capable of giving good advice. Do you realize that you're screwing over any new player that stumbles across this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Because if we want to be honest and just go for optimal PvP play there is no reason to roll an ENGINEER ever.
You can fly an eng/cruiser, sometimes an eng/recluse but never more than one engineer on a team, and never less than two science captains.

Last edited by hurleybird; 10-04-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,252
# 6
10-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Um no, an optimal PvE build (STF build) would go 'boom' so fast in PvP it is not even funny. Let me just list a few abilities that have a completely different value between the two.

Sci Team: PvP great, PvE waste
Epower to Shield 3: PvP great, PvE waste
Fire on my Mark: PvP junk, PvE great
Sub Nuke: PvP great, PvE waste

etc, etc, etc. The 'optimal' PvE build has just enough tank to survive with everything else focused on DPS. Pretty sure PvP is a wee bit different. But I would have expected you to already know this. There is no point in me posting the 'optimum STF escort build' as it has been posted 100s of times. Its pretty frelling simple, tac/escort + DHC + CRF + APB.

I could go on and point-counterpoint your petty little points that mostly come down to you saying "I PVP so I am great and PvE players are morons" but that would be a waste of breath. Instead I will offer you some advice.

If you wonder why PvP in this game has seen so little attention and why the vast majority of the player base has little interest in it I suggest you ask yourself: "Would I want to play a game with someone who acts like me?"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 176
# 7
10-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Why dont you contribute and give us a pvp build then.

You know...an alternative!

Trolling makes you look so intelligent!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,015
# 8
10-04-2012, 08:08 AM
I'm all for fun and flying what you want, but advocating these builds opens you up to some criticism. These are all impressive min/min builds.

First, a word on STFs in general. Optionals require one thing above all else: DPS. TBR and zone control can buy you some time, but nothing will ever be a better option than throwing it down harder. I do attempt to avoid speaking in absolutes, but I will say that you should never be tanking a cube. My poorly geared MVAM doesn't touch a heal in the time it takes to pop a cube on elite. If you are running a fun build, stay on normal. There's an expectation that you will have the courtesy to bring hardcore dps to elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
just remember to use your evasive maneuver ability to push 'em a good 20k away while its up if you want. And while you cannot keep a target's shield down for the entire fight without a few lucky polaron procs you do lower their resistance and regeneration amount so it is still very useful.
So you're saying you TBR, what, a nanite sphere, 20k away, then hold its aggro there even though you can't do enough damage to drop its shields? If anybody is reading this who does not understand STFs, please do not ever do this. There's not enough brain damage in the world to justify TBR'ing something 20k away. It will only cause the team to lose track of it, and it will come back at the most inopportune time. TBR should be used with low Aux so the pushes are manageable, then you can avoid scattering a group of NPCs. Rather, you shuffleboard the entire group away from whatever zone you're controlling while leaving them in a tight enough bunch for CSV and Torp Spread.

As for the "the standard CRF escort of doom," you've got the wrong Beta. In the current state of game balance, CRF is used to keep cube shields down so that a Tricobalt Dispersal Pattern Beta 3 will land on hull. If you had DPB3 on your builds, everything else could be forgiven because you would be killing things so quickly that the loss of efficiency from all the other things would be made up for. It's that powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
This is not intended for PvP, nor for optimal play.
PvP aside, it is impolite to do less than your best in elite STFs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Do you realize that you're screwing over any new player that stumbles across this?
Blunt, but true.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,337
# 9
10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Hello and welcome to my oddball Escort builds. These builds were inspired by a desire to have more effective options in STFs without the standard CRF escort of doom.
I find it very refreshing that people build ships that are not the boring all-cannon escorts.

Quote:
The Tank-a-Scort: Engineer Captain
Fleet Patrol Escort (can use regular)
Deflector: Omega
Engine: Borg
Shield: Omega
Weapons: 6x Beam Arrays, 1 Torp
Eng Consoles: 2-3 armor, borg
Sci Consoles: +Flow Capacitor Skill OR Shield Regen OR Shield Heal OR Shield Strength
Power Levels: 100/50/25/25

Tac1: Tactical Team 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1, Fire are Will 3
Tac2: Tactical Team 1, Target Shields 2, Torpedo Spread 3, Attack Pattern Omega
Eng 1: Emergency Power to Shields 1
Eng 2: Emergency Power to Shield 1, Directed Energy Modulation 1 OR Extend Shields 1
Sci 1: Tractor Beam OR Transfer Shield Strength, Hazard Emitters 2
In my experience, what works (second) best in an engscort is two copies of Beam overload - because you can place up to three BO's within the duration of one Nadion Inversion, and that really hurts, because your energy drop will be negligible.

Quote:
[...]
The Support-a-Scort (Science)
MVAE Escort
Deflector: Borg
Engine: Borg
Shield: Maco
Weapons: 3x DHC/1 DBB, 3x Turrets (polaron)
Eng Consoles: 2 armor
Sci Consoles: Borg, 2 Flow Capacitor
Power Levels: 90/60/25/25

Tac 1: Tactical Team 1
Tac 2: Tactical Team 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1
Tac 3: Target Weapons 1, Cannon Scatter Volley 1, Target Shields 3, Attack Pattern Beta 3
Eng: Emergency Power to Shield 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2
Sci: Hazard Emitters 1, Tractor Beam Repulsars 1 OR Siphon Energy 1, Tykens Rift 2 OR Gravity Well 1
I don't think that the Borg will like that ship.

Quote:
Quantum Defiant (Tactical)
Ship: Defiant
Deflector: Maco
Engine: Borg
Shield: Maco
Weapons: 1x DBB, 3x Quantum Torpedos, 3x Turrets
Consoles: Standard Borg, armors, shield
Power Levels: 90/60/25/25

Tac 1: Tac Team 1
Tac 2: Tac Team 1, Attack Pattern Delta 1, Torp Spread 3
Tac 3: Target Shields 1 OR Torp Spread 1, Cannon Scatter Volley 1, Beam Overload 3, Attack Pattern Beta 3
Eng: Emergency Power to Shields 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2
Sci: Transfer Shield Strength 1, Hazard Emitters 2
Another interesting try could be to go for 6 normal quantum torps, 1 wide angle torp (if you have the Regent), and run power levels 25/100/50/25.

Quote:
[...]
the sad fact of the matter for me was that the escort could fill the role (tank/cc) 'well enough' and still put out the DPS. So that is what I choose to fly.
This, while true, makes a bit sad. I generally see the reasoning behind everything in STO and like the results (once one gets used to space combat being about five times as fast as in the TV shows...), but the "escorts online" approach does not seem right to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,252
# 10
10-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Nah TBR gets used mostly for CSE raptors. And even then rarely but it is nice to have.

I did try mines on the tank-a-scort and they didn't pan out that well, but they were not the Tri-Co ones I will have to give that a try as the torp doesn't see too much action typically.

As for DPS all 3 ships deal plenty when used properly. I suggest you give 'em a try.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:19 AM.