Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Flying from the Bridge
09-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I have a possible solution to the "travel while on the bridge" problem. Clientside scenery.

When a player selects the "fly from the bridge" option, a copy of the bridge of their ship is loaded up and their starship "character" is swapped out for their captain, all clientside. To everyone else, they still appear as their ship, flying through space. From their own computer, however, the player is seeing their captain sitting in the captain's chair on their ship's bridge. No dual character instances necessary.

As for being able to have other players' characters aboard a player's ship while using "fly from the bridge" mode, I also have a potential solution; clones. While a player is flying their ship, regardless of what map they are on, the game will generate an NPC copy of their character which will remain seated at the captain's chair on the bridge of their ship until they move to a ground map. If that happens to be the interior of their ship, the NPC will be made invisible and they will spawn into the bridge in their place at the captain's chair. If they load into another map, the NPC will vanish with a beam out effect. Ideally, I would like it if other player characters on a player's bridge would show up in the clientside bridge view as well, although they may be restricted to one location like the character who owns the bridge that they're on.

It would also add to immersion if there was a built-in way to communicate between space/bridge view and the interior of a player's starship, such as a command that controls the emotes and text spoken by the "placeholder captain" in the ship's interior. Anything said by the NPC using this command would only show up in local chat, not zone. This would allow bridge-only messages while players are free to use a separate channel for messages to the entire ship. Any actions performed by the NPC while using this command would be mirrored by the player's own character while in bridge view.

Last edited by theoryfive; 09-30-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Captain
# 2
09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
This has been requred time and time again. The bottom like is the game was not designed with this feature in mind. The devs has said not impossible to add it in, but it would take a non-trivial amount of time, money and resources to add it in.

So ask youself, what features of the next, say, 6 months are you willing to do without? That is what is will take to do it. And from a cost/benefit analysis it expensive and it would really benefit the (relatively speaking) few players who want it.
Career Officer
# 3
09-30-2012, 09:22 PM
But there is an alternative that I'm going to be posting shortly that can give us this without Cryptic needing to reinvent the game.
Career Officer
# 4
09-30-2012, 10:04 PM
I'll raise the point I always raise:

Not everyone sees you in Sector Space anyway.

I just pulled up Beta Ursae instance options.

At 12AM EST, I count 73 players who couldn't see me in other instances and 74 who could in instance #3 only if they were near DS9. So less than half of people see me anyway in the busiest instance at extreme off peak times.

I have never met anyone in Sector Space and decided to team with them except for pre-queue STFs.

Just make sector space optional. Nobody NEEDS to see me there. And then make bridges social.
Lieutenant
# 5
09-30-2012, 10:06 PM
I always thought it might be possible to do something along the lines of that really old 25th anniversary game but yeah, even just doing that would take a whole lot of time.
Career Officer
# 6
09-30-2012, 10:13 PM
I thought we buried this idea long ago. It's never going to happen no matter how much you kick, scream, bawl, and otherwise make a ruckus.
Captain
# 7
10-01-2012, 01:50 AM
This was the way this game was meant to be desined when it was in hands of Perpetual Enterainment.Cryptic took it another direction as it would take to long as was 3 years behind as was annouced in 2004 on STG.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
10-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfuzun View Post
This has been requred time and time again. The bottom like is the game was not designed with this feature in mind. The devs has said not impossible to add it in, but it would take a non-trivial amount of time, money and resources to add it in.

So ask youself, what features of the next, say, 6 months are you willing to do without? That is what is will take to do it. And from a cost/benefit analysis it expensive and it would really benefit the (relatively speaking) few players who want it.
That depends entirely on which features would be worked on by the same people. That means, which ones are specialized in that field. It probably wouldn't be the people who make new missions or ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
But there is an alternative that I'm going to be posting shortly that can give us this without Cryptic needing to reinvent the game.
I do believe I proposed a potential way to accomplish this *without* having to reinvent the game. As in, it doesn't require any characters to be in two places at once; it's only an illusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulifdavis View Post
I thought we buried this idea long ago. It's never going to happen no matter how much you kick, scream, bawl, and otherwise make a ruckus.
Did you even bother to read my post?

Last edited by theoryfive; 10-01-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Captain
# 9
10-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Love the idea !

But ! Buttom line if it doesn't sell any lockboxes you can throw it right out the window
Career Officer
# 10
10-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
This was the way this game was meant to be desined when it was in hands of Perpetual Enterainment.Cryptic took it another direction as it would take to long as was 3 years behind as was annouced in 2004 on STG.
They didn't take it in "another direction", they took it in "a direction", as Perpetual had essentially produced nothing but a mockup, some art, and some networking code that BioWare purchased for TOR and promptly discarded as useless.