Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
If I were in the big chair, assuming my body wasnt displaced from my big chair, I LET the Romulans align with the Klingons. Take em I say. Any faction that is stupid enough to take the Romulans in, and nurse them back to full strength is asking for a sword through the heart. Dont think for a minute that the Romulans wont play nice "House Rommy" just to take advantage of their benefactors, then turn on them the moment they think they can stand alone against the hand that feed them. The greatest weapon against the KDF is throwing a Romulan stick in their spokes. Make those two mortal enemies pretend to work with each other, while each of them look to be the first to stab the other in the back. We dont need friends like the Romulans. Any species that has ever desired to rule the quadrant with an iron fist doesnt need to be in bed with the Federation. You think the Romulans wouldnt kick us while we were down? STO has shown the players we are strong enough to take on a war on multiple fronts. Acting like we need the Romulan's help now is just writing lunacy from the devs. Id be out building friends in the Gamma Quadrant before I turned to the Romulans for help.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Rihannsu
# 2
10-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
STO has shown the players we are strong enough to take on a war on multiple fronts. Acting like we need the Romulan's help now is just writing lunacy from the devs. Id be out building friends in the Gamma Quadrant before I turned to the Romulans for help.
There is a difference between the gameplay in sto and the overall story.

i can take on just about the entire galaxy myself with one ship if i took the gameplay as its literal interpretation, but that is not the same thing as the actual story.

in the story terms the klingons are beating down our door, and have pressed deep into our space, the true way are attacking our worlds, we are fending off the breen and the borg are overrunning everybody and the federation will fall in 3 years. story wise we are up to our necks in trouble and need all the help we can get.

it might seem like we are winning all our conflicts but thats because in an mmo you have to win to progress the missions.

the feds have offered aid to some romulan planets and we have worked with them before during the dominion war, so its possible to coexist with them. not every romulan is backstabbing and sneaky. most are just normal people trying to get through their lives.

the romulans aligning with the klingons may not last very long due to too much history but it would be a disaster for the feds if they became allies, as it would for the klingons if the feds and romulans alligned.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 3
10-06-2012, 09:39 AM
There is the problem that Spock asked help from the Vulcans to save the Romulans, but they refused resulting in the destruction of Romulus. I could see some Romulans never working with Vulcans because of that and would rather work with Klingons. I could also see Romulans willing to get over their dislike of Vulcans because the Federation is an easier ally to exploit.
Captain
# 4
10-06-2012, 09:51 AM
I think you missed the sarcasm when I said we were just fine taking on a war on multiple fronts. They wrote themselves into a wall with this multiple front war, and Kestrals escape plan is likely to be as equally silly as the mess she wrote the game into.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Captain
# 5
10-06-2012, 10:19 AM
STO has never really been in war. Sure there have been skirmishes, but no capturing planets or capturing territory. If my Orion captain can get into Federation space without being attacked, then STO is not at war. It might be a Cold or Lukewarm War, but not actual war.

As far as other factions are concerned, the Cardassians are merely dealing with a terrorist group. The Romulans are merely certain Romulan organizations are acting in their own interests. The Borg is simply pest control. The Undine are acting as spies. The Breen are simply liberating a species from another's aggressive attack. The Mirror Universe is having a problem of getting a decent invasion force here. Not entirely sure what the Tholians are after. The Iconians are merely control things behind the scenes. I don't see any evidence of an actual war taking place.
Captain
# 6
10-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
I think you missed the sarcasm when I said we were just fine taking on a war on multiple fronts. They wrote themselves into a wall with this multiple front war, and Kestrals escape plan is likely to be as equally silly as the mess she wrote the game into.
You are assuming that that the state of affairs is static. They aren't. Each front a federation player plays through advances the story and timeline (how much we don't really know yet). Yes the game start with the Federation and Klingons at war. But as the story advances, we (the Feds) find out the Klingon were right. And we slowly uncovert a plot of galactic proportions (Taris, Undine, Iconians, etc). As time advances, the hot war between the Federation and Klingons cools off drastically towards becoming a cold war of sorts. The Feration and Klingons are headed twoards peace, Jm'pok's reign on power, in part, relies on the war.

Klingons find out through game play and outside stories, that Jm'poks Chancellorship is now very precarious. Klingon politics are edging towards another civil war. Cetrain Gorn are getting restless under the Klingon yoke, the Orions are not to be trusted, and the Lethans and Naussiacnas well they're mecenaries. The lynchpind is Jm'pok's alliance with the House of Duras lead by Jar'rod. And Jar'rod is getting none to happy with Jm'pok.
Rihannsu
# 7
10-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Quote:
But again thats just the nature of MMO's. they are games built on conflict. people want us to fight the romulans, the breen, the borg. everyone.

if the only people we ever attacked was klingon it would be dull and people would demand to fight other opponents. of course its getting silly to have so many conflicts and you would not see this in the shows but its a game and you have to suspend your disbelief a little.

a one off conflict with a rogue romulan ship in the shows is magnified to dozens of battles in game. it might make it seem overblown but its no different to playing something like star trek armada where you just constantly fight everyone. its just the nature of the game type.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 8
10-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
There is a difference between the gameplay in sto and the overall story.

i can take on just about the entire galaxy myself with one ship if i took the gameplay as its literal interpretation, but that is not the same thing as the actual story.
That's one area I'd take issue with STO. Plenty of other MMOs have twists that involve your side taking losses even when you win.
Commander
# 9
10-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
If I were in the big chair, assuming my body wasnt displaced from my big chair, I LET the Romulans align with the Klingons. Take em I say. Any faction that is stupid enough to take the Romulans in, and nurse them back to full strength is asking for a sword through the heart. Dont think for a minute that the Romulans wont play nice "House Rommy" just to take advantage of their benefactors, then turn on them the moment they think they can stand alone against the hand that feed them. The greatest weapon against the KDF is throwing a Romulan stick in their spokes. Make those two mortal enemies pretend to work with each other, while each of them look to be the first to stab the other in the back. We dont need friends like the Romulans. Any species that has ever desired to rule the quadrant with an iron fist doesnt need to be in bed with the Federation. You think the Romulans wouldnt kick us while we were down? STO has shown the players we are strong enough to take on a war on multiple fronts. Acting like we need the Romulan's help now is just writing lunacy from the devs. Id be out building friends in the Gamma Quadrant before I turned to the Romulans for help.
Remember the TNG episode (Unification) with Picard and Spock? If I'm not mistaken, near the end of the Part 2's episode, were pockets of Romulans that just wanted peace and cooperation among species, albeit in minority, but they were in the beginning stages of something which appeared it might some day be accepted.

Anyways (if that's how it indeed unfolded), and I were Admiral Quinn, I would still keep the Romulans at arm's length, (by NOT sharing technology), however, I would attempt to see how many sincere Romulans were among the people over time. Perhaps a neutral faction. Neither friend nor foe. As time progressed, I would attempt to grow the friendship into an alliance (just not a technical alliance).
Career Officer
# 10
10-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
That's one area I'd take issue with STO. Plenty of other MMOs have twists that involve your side taking losses even when you win.
If that's a reference to WoW's Alliance always being "victorious in defeat" they can keep it! The last thing we need is anything like that.

As to the OP's question....

Easy, conquer them and thru superior governing and fortitude show them the benefits of Rule by the Terran Empire! They are an intelligent people and in time they will thrive under the leadership of humanity...

Oh! you mean the Weaksauce Universe Quinn?! That guy probably just got replaced by a spy when Drake turned around to sneeze.

Last edited by skyranger1414; 10-06-2012 at 12:26 PM.