Survivor of Romulus
# 21
10-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Please note the Self destruct

If a Dalek became infected (for a fraction of a second) it would DETONATE

As to the others
The Cybermen ARE the Borg
they are the species the Borg is modeled on and have Exactly the same powers and tech

The Sontarans of course are perfect cloned warriors (they CAN'T be assimilated either)
Captain
# 22
10-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Please note the Self destruct

If a Dalek became infected (for a fraction of a second) it would DETONATE
Would it though? Historically, Daleks have not always detonated, it's only more recently that that facility has become known, and even then, it is not frequently used... There might be a few, but I can't see mass detonations occurring

Another point I forgot to mention in my last reply, is that the Dalek nano swarm takes quite some time for the assimilation process to really get underway. (Hard to tell in 'episode time', but it could be anything from 20 minutes to hours...) Borg nano probes have been shown to begin the assimilation process in minutes, of not seconds (Phlox was lucky...) I think the nanoprobes are simply more efficient than the nano swarm in terms of practical application. Yes, airborne is better than contact, but if contact can counteract airborne, then the airborne becomes a moot point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
As to the others
The Cybermen ARE the Borg
they are the species the Borg is modeled on and have Exactly the same powers and tech

The Sontarans of course are perfect cloned warriors (they CAN'T be assimilated either)
Do Cybermen have forcefields? If they do, then they may be harder to deal with, but I don't think they do have forcefields...

As for the Sontarans, given 8472's resistance to assimilation, it's reasonable to credit Sontarans with having a similarly resilient immune system. Same as I don't think the Borg would be able to (easily) assimilate an Immortal (as in Highlander)...
Captain
# 23
10-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Assimilation tubules go through armor... Drones can also use them to interface directly with technology... Even if the initial attack did not reach the Dalek itself, it would not be hard for the drone to simply take over the casing and make it power down, exposing the Dalek inside and then assimilating the Dalek directly...

While I agree the Daleks are powerful and resourceful, I think the Borg are more so, and better equipped to deal with a Dalek one on one, than a Dalek would be to deal with a Borg one on one...
Wa.. Daleks have death rays
I would also appear that Daleks have strength in numbers. Compare the complement of the Flagship with the average population of a cube.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
10-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Even if the Daleks attempted to detonate to avoid assimilation, they wouldn't be the first one to try only to find their self destruct mechanism was already crippled by nanoprobes.

And everybody in the Star Trek universe has death rays. They may not call them death rays, but every spacefaring race is walking around with weapons capable of vaporizing a humanoid, and many have ones that can take out a building at maximum setting or when overloaded. Your average peaceful vessel of exploration is still equipped with an array of doomsday weapons and the ability to improvise more. The Borg don't really care.

Last edited by hevach; 10-08-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Captain
# 25
10-08-2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
Wa.. Daleks have death rays
You mean 'energy-based weapons which can be adapted to' (usually in less than a dozen shots)

Quote:
I would also appear that Daleks have strength in numbers. Compare the complement of the Flagship with the average population of a cube.
I think that translates as 'fresh meat' in the Borg lexicon
Captain
# 26
10-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
You mean 'energy-based weapons which can be adapted to' (usually in less than a dozen shots)
Can they adapt to machine guns, poison gas, or flamethrowers.

Quote:
I think that translates as 'fresh meat' in the Borg lexicon
Really! It seems to mean overwhelming defeat to the Borg for me

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

Captain
# 27
10-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Can they adapt to machine guns, poison gas, or flamethrowers.
Indeed they can't, this could get messy

Quote:
Really! It seems to mean overwhelming defeat to the Borg for me
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
10-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Poison gas, yes - their biological components are secondary. Assimilated humans have been seen exposed to extreme heat, radiation, and vacuum.

Fire - we've seen Borg survive fire, but also be destroyed by plasma fires, so limited survival, no evidence of adaptation.

Machine guns - it worked for Picard, but we don't actually know that they can't adapt to bullets. Only two Borg were killed this way, and it was never done again. Even if they could adapt, Picard could have killed several more before they did. The scene only established that a photonic bullet was no different than a real one if the safeties were off.
Captain
# 29
10-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Daleks assimilate the Borg Queen, and make the whole collective into an army of Robomen, or hack 'em up and make them into Pig Men, or feed them to the Slither.

Captain
# 30
10-08-2012, 07:27 AM
If poison gas isn't an issue (and I agree, drones may not breathe, let alone need to) that would also effectively nullify any risk from the Dalek nano swarm