Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,125
# 91
10-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't get why people are so hyped out about T6, you guys do realize it is not coming in S7, right? You won't see it in S8 since that is episode land.. maybe 9 at the earliest, highly unlikely because the KDF is slated for filling out around then, probably S10, a good while away.

Of any MMO I've ever seen Cryptic has the most short sighted game plan I have ever seen, most MMO directors can tell you exactly what they are releasing next, whats being worked on and will be released in 6 months, and some long term direction and projects they are working on. With Cryptic they are just kinda figuring it out as they go I guess.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 92
10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
I don't get why people are so hyped out about T6, you guys do realize it is not coming in S7, right? You won't see it in S8 since that is episode land.. maybe 9 at the earliest, highly unlikely because the KDF is slated for filling out around then, probably S10, a good while away.
A good while away or not, I bought several ships with the thought that they would remain useful indefinitely. Depending on how T6 is actually leveraged this may not be the case. As such I am not terribly pleased at the prospect of not only losing the ships that I had grown to like (the Odyssey grew on me while I waited for the Assault Cruiser Refit), but also possibly having to shell out a lot more cash to make them usable again and/or having to completely abandon them and buy new ships.

I realize that STO needs to make money, and I subscribe and do not anticipate unsubscribing any time soon. I'd just rather not have the ships I've got end up rusting in space dock - there's a reason there are so few T4-below C-Store ships running around, and that's because they're useful for maybe 1-2 weeks, and possibly 1-2 days, aside from the console.

If they do something with T6 so that T5 isn't rendered useless, or it's very inexpensive to upgrade T5 ships to T6, though, I might well change my opinion. I'm open to a lot of things, but just declaring it T6 seems to imply, given the current tier system, that T5 will go the way of everything else, and one day you will be screamed at in an STF at bringing 'that horrid C-Store MVAE' in on the presumption that it's far too weak to be of any use.

However, as-is I am going to be very reluctant to buy much more in the way of ships, as I'm not too keen on the thought of pre-planning them becoming obsolete. If they do this I can pretty much guarantee I'm going to make certain only to pick up 2 T6 C-Store ships, if that - a cruiser and escort - and just be content with it. Though this does presuppose they'll be account-wide c-store unlocks at all.

Again, I realize STO needs to make money, and I realize that ships getting more powerful is highly likely, but I'd rather they find a way to do it without stamping the existing T5 ships into the ground.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 60
# 93 Thanks to YOU...!!!
10-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Well...once again goin' against the masses, Poru thinks you folks are doing a ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL job with this game..!!! SERIOUSLY...!!! Awesome...!!! amazing product...!!! Cudos and pats on the back for you all...oh...and Poru asked D Stalh to make sure you guys get bonuses at Xmass in a reply on the ,"Ask Cryptic" posting...!!! You all definately deserve it...!!! (and ye must have tough hides to keep such a positive attitude with so little true appreciation from those whom are lucky you expend such great efforts to create this for our mutual pleasure and entertainment)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,382
# 94
10-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
I was really looking forward to seasons 7, 8 and 9 till I read this. Instead of putting in effort for a third faction they make it sound like they're going to cop out and dump them in the fed and kdf ranks. Which is a joke.
I hate to say it but I told you so I had a funny feeling in the poll when they said you would like playable romulans they would link it with Fed or KDF as they can't even finish the fed faction so the romulan faction would be a waste of resources as it would be another faction that will have only approx 20% to play it due to lack of content
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 199
# 95
10-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
The mere fact they're thinking along the lines of integrating the Romulans into an already existing faction is cause for concern.

That's what worries me.

We could actually do with three more blocks; one for the Tholians (directly below eta Eridani), another one for the Romulans (directly right of Iota Pavonis; requiring Level 4 diplomacy access) and, as you've stated, one for the Delta Quadrant species.

Should also state, good call you've made on the Delta Quadrant Klingons, though I'm not sure (seeing as they destroyed their ship and went to their new planet with little technology) that they'd be flying around in starships just yet. I'd like to see the Fen Damar; they weren't seen on screen, but were mentioned in End Game as lying somewhere between the edge of the Beta & Gamma Quadrant. Voyager lost a lot of crew when fighting them if I recall?

Also, Tier #6 ships. Lets be realistic about this guys, they're all going to cost us. The only freebee we might get out of it is the standard Odyssey Class (they'll probably upgrade the Odyssey to Tier #6 anyway).
Ah, yes i would welcome that but i still hold that they need to break down the walls and create what the Universe, well space should be and isnt. If they introduce the Delta Quadrant is huge, just as all the rest and are not represented and i have my doubts how they will introduce that when so many species are available in the DQ.

I do recall that discussion of the Fen Damar in endgame in fact, but we also have that Dinosaur species, to the hologram world? So, many great species they could pull in but again in order to pull it off they would have to really revamp space and the ST universe period. Otherwise they will fail in it, i would rather them not do any more until they are willing to revamp the Universe in general.

T
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,282
# 96
10-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoncal View Post
Ah, yes i would welcome that but i still hold that they need to break down the walls and create what the Universe, well space should be and isnt. If they introduce the Delta Quadrant is huge, just as all the rest and are not represented and i have my doubts how they will introduce that when so many species are available in the DQ.
If they were to introduce the Delta Quadrant, it would probably be done in sectors. One sector would have some species, another sector would have another batch. Said sectors would need to be twice the size of any of the current ones, allowing enough planets for a variety of races. End of the day, it isn't going to be perfect, it would be hard for them to make it perfect to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoncal View Post
I do recall that discussion of the Fen Damar in endgame in fact, but we also have that Dinosaur species, to the hologram world? So, many great species they could pull in but again in order to pull it off they would have to really revamp space and the ST universe period. Otherwise they will fail in it, i would rather them not do any more until they are willing to revamp the Universe in general.
Dinosaur Species = Voth.

I wouldn't mind seeing what has become of the Vidiian.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,830
# 97
10-11-2012, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Ask Cryptic: October 2012, Question #2I hope to hell that I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like you're planning to add the Romulans into the Federation and / or Klingon factions. Dont!

There was a poll that you guys put up a month ago asking the community what they most wanted out of the game right now. Think I remember a Romulan Playable Faction leading that poll. The fans have spoken. Can the development team deliver? If this latest Ask Cryptic is anything to go by, and if I'm reading it right, then you're planning to ignore the wishes of the fans completely, and are going to shove the Romulans in elsewhere (rather than give them the faction they deserve).

The Romulans aren't ready to join the Federation, and even when they do get to a point that they are, they sure as hell wouldn't join with the Klingons. With the exception of Sela and her band of merry soldiers, when have the Klingons and Romulans ever cooperated with only each other? These two species aren't overly fond of each other, so it is my hope that they are very much kept apart from each other in terms of alliances.

Star Trek: Online (eventually) needs more than two factions; the Romulans are the logical choice for faction number #3. I don't want to see them wasted as castaways that are incorporated into other factions. If you're not in a position to create a third faction just yet, that's fine, you don't need too, but don't integrate the Romulans into a current faction.
Uhm...nope, I don't think that will turn up to be the case. Be sure that the devs are not that ignorant of their job to waste them like that and not furher capitalize on their own faction. The way I see it, in the next couple of seasons they'll be hitting up the basis for the emergence of the 3rd - Romulan faction by this storyline. The Fed and the Klingons trying to get their allegiance tears up the Romulans both ways so much that to a point they've had enough, overthrow Sela, recuperate and boom, there's your 3rd faction. And it will give Cryptic the needed time to develop that faction properly, with at least all the game segments that the KDF has currently, which actually is not that light of a job.

You have to be aware that for the dev. team, regardless wheather sometimes they do in game stuff that some of us like or don't like, working on STO is still their job and you can be sure that they are aware of the benefits they'll have from introducing a Romulan faction as a separate one. Especially after quite a nice portion of the player base has clearly and undoubtedly stated their desire and interest of this Romulan faction. They have not fallen of Mars, you can be sure that they know that the Rom. faction will improve the game, bring more players and satisfy a big portion of the current ones on what even Cryptic will capitalize at the end. They just need time to make it happen. So, have a little faith
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,830
# 98
10-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginge737 View Post
Question for cryptic, do you plan to put more playable factions in with there own beginnings, species such as the borg or romulans or even making a cardasian faction
I'd love a Cardassian faction, too!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,282
# 99
10-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Uhm...nope, I don't think that will turn up to be the case. Be sure that the devs are not that ignorant of their job to waste them like that and not furher capitalize on their own faction.
I really wish I shared your optimism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
The way I see it, in the next couple of seasons they'll be hitting up the basis for the emergence of the 3rd - Romulan faction by this storyline. The Fed and the Klingons trying to get their allegiance tears up the Romulans both ways so much that to a point they've had enough, overthrow Sela, recuperate and boom, there's your 3rd faction.
In one of the latest season 7 blog entries, it states that the Romulan Star Empire has fallen, and that the refugees of that fallen empire are looking to settle and start anew. It doesn't sound to me like they're looking to start up a Romulan faction any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
And it will give Cryptic the needed time to develop that faction properly, with at least all the game segments that the KDF has currently, which actually is not that light of a job.
There is little point releasing a Romulan faction that would match the current Klingon one. You would then have people complaining (rightly) about another half-assed attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
You have to be aware that for the dev. team, regardless wheather sometimes they do in game stuff that some of us like or don't like, working on STO is still their job and you can be sure that they are aware of the benefits they'll have from introducing a Romulan faction as a separate one. Especially after quite a nice portion of the player base has clearly and undoubtedly stated their desire and interest of this Romulan faction.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
I'd love a Cardassian faction, too!
Whilst this would likely be at least five years down the line (if STO hasn't fallen apart by then) I don't see it happening. Two of the more obvious ships you'd have in a Cardassian faction would be the Galor and Jem Hadar Attack Ship; both of which are already accessible to those that acquired them at the right time. I think it would be safe to say that a Cardassian faction isn't even on the table at the minute. That's pretty much the only good thing about the hope for a Romulan faction; they've not released any Romulan ships in their lock boxes yet.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 100 For November Ask Cryptic:
10-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Alot of people like the Odyssey fleet uniform. As it is purchasable by dilithium and fleet credits; Will fleets be able to set the Odyssey uniform (or any part of it) as a actual fleet uniform in the fleet UI?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 AM.